Book 1, Act II: Into the Churlwood

The all-powerful Runelords, near-immortal wizards who ruled Varisia in ancient days, stir to terrible life once more, surging across the frontier with plans to reignite their time-lost empire!
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 pm

Roderic's Cove sits on the northern bank of the Chavali River, and the Churlwood borders the river's southern bank. The Chavali averages a thousand feet wide in this area, so swimming across is not the best option. A boat can be chartered to ferry across the river at Hallen's Ferry.

Almost five miles upriver from Roderic's Cove, the Chavali River grows shallow for a short stretch, twin rows of mismatched wooden pilings protrude from the water. You heard from the locals that this was originally an intended site for a bridge that would cross the river and continue the road south along the edge of the Churlwood, but plans for its construction fell apart after the pilings were driven into the river. Yet the Covers are tenacious, and rather than abandon this handy link to the south side of the river, a resident of the Cove took it upon herself to set up a ferry service that uses a barge attached to a set of ropes hung between the pilings. When the party approaches at midday, Hallen Rosker can be seen on the north bank, relaxing under a tarp. She is rather old for a human, but her body still looks plenty strong.
Welcome to the next Act, Into the Churlwood! Onward to rescuing some missing dwarves.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:27 am

Rusilka stifles a burp and walks ahead of the odd bunch of surface humans and monsters in her clean, but somewhat worn in, banded mail, wooden shield strapped to one arm and her trusty axe hanging from a loop at her side, otherwise armed to the teeth. She offers Hallen a brief and polite smile to disarm her caution.

"'Scuse me. Mah name's Rusilka. Stoutbreath. Are ye Hallen? Me an' comp'ny aim to cross intae Churlwood."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:35 pm

The lady stands up from her chair under the tarp, eyeing the group appraisingly. "Not a problem, travelers! A mere 4 copper per person, and we can leave right away." She moves to her little boat, getting ready for the transit. "It'll take, oh, ten minutes or so to make the trip, maybe a bit more if the river is argumentative. But haven't had a capsizing yet this year, so no worries for your safety."

She has a guileless smile, and seems to genuinely enjoy chatting up strangers. She chats up Rusilka and anyone else in a talking mood, finding out more about them, and sharing little tidbits about herself. If anyone asks about dangers in the Churlwood, she lists out the bandits, goblins, and monsters in the forest. "You pick which one is worse. Though, most of the time the bandits at least leave people alive. Goblins you never know, and monsters ... well, that can go all kinds of ways."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:58 pm

Rusilka counts out her coppers (she has exactly four-even) and thanks Hallen, taking an uncertain glance at the boat, doubting its capacity for some among present company. She shares a bit about herself and where she's from. When the topic turns to the dangers, her expression sours at the mention of goblins.

"Mm-hmm? Well, it have'nae gone well with them lately. We're makin' it our job t' rescue some folk they took captive, see."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:53 pm

"Oh? Who're you going to rescue?" When she is enlightened that you are going to rescue the dwarven merchants, she picks back out the coppers you handed over and puts them back in your hands. "No rescuer is paying to cross the Chavali River, you go for free." She brightens up to all of you even more, knowing you're not mere adventurers but true do-gooders.

A few minutes later all of your stuff is loaded on board and off you go. The current is even and calm, and it takes Hallen a brisk 10 minutes to get you near the far shore. As the barge nears the southern shore, however, the old lady curses under her breath - two smiling men and a tall, lanky woman casually flipping a coin in one hand step out of the woods bordering the far side. "Roadkeepers," Hallen says under her breath. "Just give them what they ask for and they'll let you on your way. That one who's flipping the coin is Lullaby Vancaskerkin, second-in-command if nothing's changed of the Roadkeepers. She's a piece of work - you'd best not be giving her a reason to get angry."
-------

Once the boat hits shore, Lullaby steps up with a grin and a swagger and gives Hallen a nod; the old woman replies with a scowl and a rude gesture, but she's already paid her monthly dues. She again whispers to you all her advice of just paying up to avoid trouble.

Lullaby greets you as though you were all old friends, welcoming you to "the scenic Churlwood", before bemoaning the fact that it costs money to patrol the dangerous forest and to keep its trails nicely pruned and free from clutter. While her smirking companions move forward to be between you and her, Lullaby says that although it pains her to ask for "charity", she'd appreciate a "donation" of ten gold pieces from each of you for passage.

Your dragon(-ling) companion has had dealings with the Roadkeepers in the past (unfriendly ones). She knows that this amount is roughly 20 times the amount the Roadkeepers typically charge. Whether this is because circumstances changed, or they recognize the dragon, is unknown. Regardless, it looks like they intend to get their money, one way or another.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:18 am

The dwarf axewoman glares back, and winds her shield arm a bit. "Aye, lass. We can spare ye some 'charity'."

She shoots the others a look.
Rusilka despises the Roadkeepers, but will wait for the others to make a choice, being among strangers in a strange land. Who knows, maybe we could pay them to help us out, although Rusilka would hate it. I dunno whether I should hope that their gang is bigger than the three of them and hiding in the bushes right now.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:17 pm

Myrisstra was well-acquainted with ruffians (having been one herself in another lifetime - literally). Drawing herself up to her full height and stepping delicately forward, the slender woman brushes a lock of hair away from her green eyes and blinks at the Roadkeepers. "My, my, what courageous folk you are, braving the danger of the wilds to keep the paths safe. We find ourselves alike to you, it seems, for our errand in these woods is to rescue some merchants. Now, just as between fellow heroes, wouldn't you see yourself allowing us to pass by on our quest for a smaller sum, say a gold piece per person? Should we be successful, we would be helping you out, after all, by eliminating some of the threats here ourselves."
Myri will try to sweet talk their leader and roll Diplomacy at +11

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 03, 2022 5:29 am

Lullaby continues flipping her coin while Myri parlays for the group. Her two Roadkeeper thugs look quizzically, expecting to either get paid the extorted sum or move in for a thumping, but they don't receive a signal for that. She looks mildly concerned about the merchants, and being called a 'fellow hero'. Myri is pretty sure that Lullaby isn't buying the buttering up whole cloth, but looks at her counterpart with respect.

"Well, well. Disappeared merchants, you say? Just wandering into the woods blindly hoping to stumble across their bodies, or more optimistically find them happy and content around a campfire?" She shakes her head with a smile. "I like your spunk. I'd like to let you go for free since you're such good people, but how would I pay my loyal soldiers to keep everyone safe? How about you tell me more about these poor merchants, and I'll share what I know to earn that gold piece per person, eh?"
Diplomacy +11: 18+11 = 29, Success. Mentioning the rescue helped too (lowered the DC). She may be a bandit, but she's not a monster.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed May 04, 2022 2:18 am

Rusilka settles somewhat. Is it really just the three of them? She looks around, but hides her disappointment. The noble human's proposal seems to have dispelled the ambush. Coupled with Lullaby's transactional counteroffer, and the dwarf's blood is cooled, albeit the demand in gold unamended, she notes silently.

Finally, she utters a penny-pincher's disgruntled sigh. "Dwarf merchants. Their wagon was ambushed on th' way t' town, by goblins." She parrots the description of the missing merchants to Lullaby, but does not reveal the site of the attack, if the survivors remembered it. "Their kin dinnae see what became of 'em. Or their wares. Probably taken as well."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon May 09, 2022 5:04 pm

"A pleasure doing business with honest heroes like yourselves." There's some mockery in her tone, but it's light, sorta playful rather than biting. "Head due south and you'll come to a large hill. Follow the western side of it, and you'll come across a nest of goblins. They've got to be the people you're looking for. Don't follow the east side of the hill if you value your lives. There are some unsavory types around there that don't like visitors." She winks.

"Oh, and one other thing. On your way south through the forest, you'll come across a large clearing with a single dead oak at its center. The tree is haunted I think, or maybe cursed? Regardless, I wouldn't recommend sleeping under its branches, if you get my meaning." With a flourish she gestures you past her 'toll-booth' to let you on your way.