Character Creation

The OOC forum for Return of the Runelords
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Character Creation

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat May 29, 2021 3:13 pm

Create a 1st-Level Character! (crazy, I know)

I took a bunch of the following text from the Player's Guide:
https://thetrove.is/Books/Pathfinder%20 ... 0Guide.pdf

Races: Varisia is a diverse realm, so all Races are allowed. If you're choosing something exotic or 3rd-party, PM me to get approval. Highly likely I'll approve it, but want to check there isn't anything game-breaking sneaking in.

Alignment: As long as the PCs work together, alignment isn’t a central issue in this Adventure Path. Even evil characters can, in theory, function in Return of the Runelords, although as is always the case with evil PCs, ensure that such a character isn't fatally disruptive to the group's cohesion. Keep in mind that the individual plotlines in Return of the Runelords tend toward altruistic and helpful themes, so an evil character might have less motivation to participate in some story elements.

Classes: Characters of any class will have ample opportunity to shine in Return of the Runelords, but remember that combat and exploration of ancient locations are the largest of this campaign’s elements. While there are chances to explore wildernesses, enjoy urban-based intrigues, and take part in social challenges and role-playing opportunities, these elements aren’t at the forefront of every adventure. There will be plenty of opportunities for downtime, relaxation, and other elements as the plot progresses, but each adventure’s focus changes as the story moves forward. The PCs won’t settle in a single location for long in Return of the Runelords. A significant theme of Return of the Runelords is the uncovering of ancient lore and discovery of lost secrets, particularly regarding (although not limited to) the ancient nation of Thassilon. Any character with even a passing interest in learning hidden secrets of the world should have ample reason to take part in this Adventure Path.

Languages: Since Return of the Runelords takes place primarily in Varisia, learning the regional language of Varisian is an excellent choice. Additionally, with much of the campaign involving the legacy of ancient Thassilon, the language of Thassilonian is also a wise choice. Beyond these two options, the following languages should have varying levels of application throughout Return of the Runelords, although none of these are vital: Abyssal, Azlanti, Giant, Goblin, Infernal, and Necril. Other languages may have uses as well, but not to a significant extent over the course of the campaign.

Religions: Any of the non-evil deities presented in the Core Rulebook are appropriate choices for worship in this campaign (if you wish to worship an evil deity, consult me first). Beyond the core deities, numerous other deities are known to have an enhanced presence in Varisia and so make for thematically good choices to worship. These deities include Brigh, Milani, deities from the dwarven, elven, and halfling pantheons, empyreal lords (particularly Ashava, Black Butterfly, Soralyon, and Ylimancha), and Nivi Rhombodazzle.

Traits: Choose 3, standard rules. A Campaign Trait counts as 1, and I highly encourage people to take one, especially if it builds bonds between party members.

CAMPAIGN TRAITS (truncated for space saving purposes)

Accidental Clone
The adventure ended in tragedy when you set off a devastating trap while investigating a statue of a beautiful woman—someone you believed to be one of the ancient runelords of Thassilon. The trap slaughtered your entire party—including you. You came back to life in a new body—a body that your research has revealed was originally intended to be a clone of none other than Sorshen, the Runelord of Lust—have only further solidified in your mind the fact that you and your companions are destined for greatness.

Your character must be human if you take this trait (though you may retain your previous gender identity). Your
ethnicity is Azlanti, but you are not pure-blooded—you have the standard human ability score adjustments. Your
resemblance to Sorshen may have unexpected side effects as the campaign progresses, for good or for ill. In any event, you gain a +1 trait bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks, and these skills are always class skills for you.

Once per adventure, you can retroactively apply a +20 trait bonus to a saving throw against a mind-affecting effect after you learn the outcome of the roll. A saving throw result of a natural 1 still automatically fails, but if the +20 bonus adjusts the save so that it is successful, you treat the failed saving throw as a successful one. Unless the GM approves, only one PC in the group can have the Accidental Clone trait.

Audrahni’s Ally
While every PC should be at least passingly familiar with the elven gravedigger Audrahni, you are one of the few in town she counts as a true friend. Work with the GM to determine what sort of common ground you and Audrahni share. More details about Audrahni appear in the adventures, but she’s a mysterious woman who’s close lipped about her past—and so you’ll need to work with your GM to have a stronger relationship at the campaign’s outset.

Audrahni trusts you, and she’s shared one element of her past with you since befriending you. Choose one of the
following questions. At the start of the campaign, the GM will give you a brief answer about Audrahni’s past. Once you know the answer, you should fashion a parallel event in your own PC’s history, creating a shared misery or memory with Audrahni. The fact that you’ve met someone else who had a similar event in their past has bolstered your own resolve, and has granted you a +1 trait bonus to the saving throw determined by the question you select.
- “What happened to your parents?”: Grants a +1 trait bonus to Fortitude saving throws.
- “Where did you grow up?”: Grants a +1 trait bonus to Reflex saving throws.
- “What historical figure inspired you the most?”: Grants a +1 trait bonus to Will saving throws.

Once per adventure as a standard action, you may concentrate on the bond you and Audrahni share. The strong emotions brought on by these memories bolster your desire to forge ahead and remain alive, granting you the effects of one of the following spells at a caster level equal to your character level: calm emotions, cure moderate wounds, or lesser restoration.

Close Allies
You and another PC are close allies—friends, lovers, siblings, or even twins. Work with the other player to build a
shared history—both you and the other player must choose Close Allies as a campaign trait, and both must agree to the nature of the relationship between the two characters. You might have the tendency to complete each other’s sentences, dress similarly, share the same religion or faith, or have endured a dangerous event together in the past. If you and the other player agree (and have chosen either the siblings or twins option below), you might not even particularly like your close “ally,” yet you still respect them and can utilize this trait’s benefits all the same.

If your relationship with your close ally ends (as a result of death, a parting of ways, or other catastrophe), you immediately lose this campaign trait and replace it with Spirit Touched (see below) as a result of your emotional distress. When you and the other PC agree to take this shared trait, you must also agree on the nature of your characters’ bond by choosing one of the following: friends, lovers, siblings, or twins. If you choose twins, both PCs must be of the same race. If you choose siblings, one or both of you are adopted if you aren’t of the same race.

Whenever you are adjacent to your close ally, you gain a +1 trait bonus on all saving throws. Once per adventure as an immediate action, you may grant your close ally a bonus equal to the result of 1d6 to a single d20 roll. You must have line of sight to your ally to use this ability. You may choose to grant this bonus after your ally has rolled, but must do so before the result of the roll is known.

Intrigued by Thassilon
The rediscovery of Thassilon’s legacy several years ago was an eye-opener for many, including you. After living so long in the shadow of these enormous ruins, you were intrigued to find out that they were much older than anyone could have guessed and that the runelords who built them may still exist.

You gain Thassilonian as a bonus language, and at 1st level and every 2 levels thereafter, you gain a bonus skill rank that can only be applied to Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history), Linguistics, or Use Magic Device. Once per adventure, you may either take 20 on a Use Magic Device check or activate a charged magic item without
expending any charges.

Scion of Legend
Your character has a personal link or association with one of Varisia’s established heroes. This hero should be a
PC you played in a previous campaign (and could be, but need not be, one of the Sihedron Heroes). Your character could be a younger sibling, younger cousin, or even an apprentice of the hero. If enough time has passed, you might be the hero’s child, or your character could have reincarnated from the soul of a hero that died before your character was born.

Choose two skills for which your associated hero has skill ranks. You gain a +1 trait bonus on checks with both
of those skills, and those two skills are class skills for you. Once per adventure as a free action, you can call upon a previously forgotten bit of advice or lore imparted to you by the hero to gain an insight bonus equal to your class level (minimum +10) to a skill check. You may choose to apply this bonus after you roll the skill check, but must do so before the result of the roll is known.

GM NOTE: I plan on mining Vardaen's Shattered Star (Eberron: The Grey Company) campaign's PCs to be these 'Heroes of Legend'. ;)

Spirit Touched
As a child, you were influenced by overwhelming emotional trauma associated with death or undeath, and
that influence marked you for the rest of your life. Work with your GM to determine the details of how you became spirit touched; she may have suggestions for you to tie your experience more tightly into the themes of the Return of the Runelords Adventure Path.

You gain a +2 trait bonus on all saving throws made against supernatural attacks, spells, or spell-like abilities
from undead creatures. Once per adventure, you may automatically succeed at a Constitution check to stabilize or a saving throw to remove a negative level.

Time Lost
You’ve always felt separated from the era into which you were born. Perhaps you feel that you were born too late, and that you and your interests are better suited to a previous age. Maybe you have the conviction you were born too soon, and that your true destiny lies in some distant future. You might be suffering from missing time—whether a few hours, a few weeks, or even several months—for which you have no memories. You might instead receive brief visions of friends or enemies much older or younger than their actual age. You’ve long since grown used to this strange condition, but have not yet determined why you suffer from it. Your GM will be provided with additional information about this trait’s strange nature in the third adventure of Return of the Runelords.

You have a knack for knowing when to act a few instants in advance and gain a +2 trait bonus on Initiative checks. Once per adventure as an immediate action, you may use your strange link to the flow of time to force the GM to reroll a single d20 roll. You must declare the use of this ability immediately after the GM rolls the d20, but you can choose to do so after learning the results of the roll.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

ManWithDoor

Character Creation

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat May 29, 2021 3:29 pm

Character Creation Rules (cont'd):

Ability Scores: Point Buy (Epic Fantasy) = 25 Points.

Classes/Archetypes: As stated before, very open. All normal Paizo rulebooks allowed. If you're digging through various APs/3rd party/etc for an exotic Archetype, pass it by me first. Some of those are delightful, while others are super unbalanced.

Traits (cont'd): You may also gain 1 Flaw, for 1 additional Trait. You can also trade in your 1st Level Feat for 2 additional Traits.

Skills: Background Skills are Active. So everyone gets +2 Skill Points per Level, which must be put in to Background Skills.

Feats: All normal Paizo Books allowed. If you're digging through various other Adventure Paths / scenario books / 3rd Party, you need to get approval for your choice.

HP: Max at 1st Level. For later leveling up, either take the average (d8, would be 5/4/5/4/5 hp as you advance), or Roll 2x and take the better result (if you roll double-1s, sucks to be you).

Gold: Max at 1st Level. Note in the Player's Guide that one of the first scenes will be 'Hunting for Bargains', so I don't mind you cheesing the system a bit by finalizing your Inventory until after the shopping trip.

Character Sheets: You can use whatever you want on your end (Hero Lab, etc.), but I do require that each Player also fill out (and keep updated) the Excel spreadsheet Character Sheet, and share via Google Drive. That way I have access to all the character info, so I don't need to inquire for your stats every time I need you to make a skill check or save or whatnot.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Character Creation

Post by Othniel » Sat May 29, 2021 4:34 pm

I'll sign on as a player. Still unsure what I'd like to be, but I don't necessarily want to double up on roles and leave us short something important (arcane/occult caster, healer, trapfinder, etc). So I'll probably wait and see what others want to make and fill in what's missing.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Character Creation

Post by Graven » Sat May 29, 2021 6:53 pm

Pretty sure I'll be doing some sort of wizardly shenanigans. Beyond that I'm out to sea
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Character Creation

Post by Othniel » Sun May 30, 2021 12:15 am

A wizard in a Runelord game sounds super fun.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Character Creation

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Is this PF or PF2?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor

Character Creation

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:14 pm

PF 1st Edition!

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Character Creation

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:02 pm

I'll be making a dwarf fighter/tank. I'll try to cover the dungeoneering angle.

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Character Creation

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:33 pm

I am in, if there is still space, I have a couple ideas rattling in my head for characters.

ManWithDoor

Character Creation

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:56 pm

Yup! My current understanding:
- GuyWithSword (Dragon race/class - 3rd party)
- Graven (Wizard)
- Othniel (Cleric or similar class)
- RorytheRomulan (Dwarf Fighter - 'tank' spec)

I'd like to max at 5 confirmed Players. Anything beyond that is too hard to GM with any efficiency.