Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:09 am

The mood around the Hall of Illusions is still palpably positive, the actions of the party rescuing Rubin from his disastrous marriage proposal, preventing him from mysteriously disappearing into the creepy mirrors. Candlefoot the Mime is still pale as a sheet, but even he seems more animated now, despite his curse.

When Kettlesteam openly walks up, Candlefoot's face becomes wrathful and he puts his fists up. As he can't yell epithets or threats, he can only pantomime kicking the birdman knees, and twisting his head off. Wordlessly, the Kenku produces a corn husk doll with a thorny stem tied around its neck. He hands it over to Candlefoot, who hesitantly unties the stem from around the doll. Immediately a shout of excitement thrusts its way out of the man's throat, which is strangled with surprise at him being able to vocalize anything.

Candlefoot dances away, laughing out loud. He ignores the 'pranking' Kettlesteam, coming up to you instead. "Did you do this?" Tears start streaming down his cheeks, a chaos of conflicting emotions flooding through him. "I can't thank you enough."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:54 pm

Shiloh smile and says kindly, "We persuaded Kettlesteam to undo the harm from his 'pranks.' But there's still something rotten here at the Carnival. Indeed, Kettlesteam was trying to get at it in his own, misguided fashion. Has anything else strange happened since we were last here? Will you let us so we can search for clues?"

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:52 pm

Candlefoot excitedly pulls you along northward, excitedly talking as you walk. "Please, come let me introduce you to the love of my life, at the Silversong Lake. Besides showing you our gratitude, she knows a great deal of what goes on in the Carnival, and will be able to help with any question you have."

As you travel, he joyously puts on his Mime act to the passersby, although now that he has his voice back he uses it to full use as well. He puts on his act, telling stories with his voice and body, bringing joy to all he passes.

Silversong Lake

Mist gathers at the banks of a shimmering lake. Near its center, a mermaid lounges in a giant bowl, singing a glorious, haunting song that captivates spectators on the lakeshore. In response, the lake waters coalesces into magical sculptures that whirl around her as she performs.

As Candlefoot comes into view, her face becomes grieved, her song falters, and she turns her head away. In response, the gnome lets loose his newly-restored voice, joining her in harmony. She is startled, but quickly recovers and their joyous melody grows in power and beauty.

When the show comes to an end, the crowd slowly disperses, giving you some measure of privacy to converse. Candlefoot introduces you all to his fiance, Palasha, crediting you for the restoration of his voice.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:35 pm

Shiloh smiles at Palasha and bows to her. "Hello, I'm Shiloh--but please try not to use my name too much. I was admitted here on the condition that I dance every time someone says my name."

"We're investigating strange goings-on at the Carnival. We've found one source of them--and he agreed to undo his mischief and, among other things, give Candlefoot back his voice. But there was a girl in a pig mask who performed a nasty prank that nearly destroyed someone's wedding proposal. And there seem to be other strange goings on. Candlefoot says you know a lot of what goes on here. Can you share anything you've seen or heard that seems out of place?" For the moment, Shiloh says nothing about Witch and Light keeping secrets or being under a compulsion, wanting to test the waters first.
Persuasion 5

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:01 pm

Palasha holds the hand of her betrothed, her love practically radiating out of her. She thanks you profusely for restoring Candlefoot, but her smile falters about being asked about secret goings-on. "I believe Candlefoot exaggerates my insight into every mystery. But I will provide what help I can." She gestures and sings, and the water in the lake glows blue and swirls around the party, giving you privacy. "In return for your kindness, I offer you recompense three-fold."

"Diana Cloppington runs the Carousel. She may appear as a centaur, but claims she is 'a human who made a bad deal'. She seems unable to share the details, a curse most disturbing punishing her if she tries. However, the wooden unicorns of the Carousel are known to sometimes whisper secrets to their riders, although I do not know the rhyme or reason of why."

"Dirlagraun is a speaking displacer beast, that is at Lost Property, and is in charge of reuniting both items with patrons and children to their parents. By both his duty and nature, he would be aware of any strangers interfering with the Carnival."

"Lastly, I offer you a gift of myself. Any who wish to sing with me now may learn a new skill and joy to themselves and their loved ones."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 pm

Quill nods along and finds herself leaning in a bit when Palasha speaks of the whispering carousel and a "displacer beast". She hesitates on the offer for singing with her, apprehensive about singing in front of the group.

"Oh, I dunno. I can't really sing. But a new skill, joy, that does sound lovely..." She finds herself leaning more and more into it. "Okay. Alright then, I accept your gift. But I gotta warn you all, I really am awful."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:06 pm

Shiloh smiles at Palasha and says, "Thank you for your advice. You have me curious about the carousel now. And I will gladly sing with you. May I also play my fiddle to support our singing?"

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:19 am

Jack takes his hat off and bows with a flourish. "Fair maiden, if you are brave enough to hear my voice, I would be honored to sing."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:58 pm

Palasha's smile literally shines in response to your joining her in music and song, her scales shimmering with iridescent color as she moves. She gratefully urges Shiloh to play her fiddle, and begins singing. Unlike a school teacher who may cover topics like tones, majors or minors, or notes, breaking down the music into methods and mechanisms to practice.

Instead, she inspires while others follow. When Quill's voice warbles around a note rather than hitting it, she weaves her voice in an alternating melody that provides a counterpoint, the combination creating a pleasing whole. She gives the fiddle space to shine, treating it as a voice of its own.

What feels like an hour later, although it could have been mere minutes in objective time, she ends the song. Silence envelops the group, allowing the experience to be felt deeply. Palasha takes the hand of her betrothed again, while he looks at her in adoration.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:03 pm

"Thank you," says Shiloh. "That was delightful."

She turns to the others, "I think we should go to the carousel next. The unicorns may tell us more things we want to ask Dirlagraun about."
So do we each get to add a new Skill proficiency to our character sheets?