Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:07 am

Quill's eyes laser on their quarry. "Fly away and tell the others," she whispers to Trixie. "I'll keep an eye on him."

She projects a still image close to the entrance: a white glove, pointing toward her location.
_
Birdman shouldn't be able to see this, because it's small and he is further away: you guys should see a small white glove - like straight out of a cartoon, but motionless and incorporeal - pointing toward Quill's location. Trixie can tell you where Kettlesteam is when she comes to get you, if Othniel says "yes".

When Trixie comes by with the others, let's running tackle the guy. I'll time my own with the rest. Magic types can choose a spell or two to hit him and keep him from running. I don't suppose there's a chance somebody's got Entangle?? Although Hideous Laughter would be a poetic choice.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:09 pm

Shiloh has Sleep and Charm Person.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:29 am

Nodding wordlessly, and with an impish smile on her face, Trixie zips away to share what they learned.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 am

It's up to you Muskrat. Either of those will help us catch him. Charm could help us get information out of him, too.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:44 pm

OK, I'll play it by ear. If I put him to Sleep, we can always use Charm Person when he wakes up.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:27 am

Catching Kettlesteam

The kenku is, if not perhaps a master of, at least an excellent student of disguise. If the group were not so perceptive, and had not been specifically trying to detect him, there is no way they would have casually noticed his deception. But as it is, they have noticed, and zone in upon him. Although good for you, he is more sneaky than he is perceptive.
Kettlesteam Perception check to notice the group coming together for him: 8, Fail.
Kettlesteam only notices once the four of you once you are standing in front of him, and he immediately opens his wings to try to reverse course and flee. However, Shiloh was prepared and begins her arcane spell, casting a basic enchantment upon him. Before he can get away, his movement become uncoordinated, his eyes roll back in his head, and he smoothly slumps to the ground, dead asleep.
Sleep Spell: Roll 5d8 (32) and compare to target's HP (22), Success!
The crowd generally is intent on the Big Top, but those nearby begin to stare at what's going on.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:31 am

"Pay no heed! Some minor carnival business! Please proceed the seats and be sure to keep your tickets with you at all times," Jack says to any onlookers. "Thank you for your understanding and please enjoy the performance!"

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:13 pm

"Hey, nicely done." Quill gives Shiloh a thumbs-up sign. "I've got the rope, so leave that to me."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:40 pm

"Thanks," says Shiloh. "Don't be too rough with him--I can cast Charm Person, but he has to have reason to see us as friendly. If we've hurt him--well, the spell may not work."

Seeing the crowd gathering about them, Shiloh takes out her fiddle and begins an impromptu performance to take the attention away from what the others are doing. To make sure it's not disruptive to the circus, she sings about the wonders of the Witchlight Circus that the attendees will see within, drawing on her childhood memories and hoping the circus has changed too much since then.
Performance 5

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:55 pm

Shiloh pulls out her fiddle and does her best to entertain the crowd. Her clear voice cuts through the crowd, distracting them to thoughts of the Carnival rather than the hostilities they just witnessed.
Performance: 13+5 = 18, Success.
Jack has less success on persuading the onlookers that this is just 'minor carnival business', but with Shiloh's performance they at least hesitantly move along, even if they don't fully believe him.
Deception: 3+3 = 6, Failure.
Overall a mixed bag, but you don't see people screaming, or calling for security, so you've got enough of a cover to pull the unconscious kenku to the side for interrogation.
Overall there are no big consequences (like security coming running), but the suspicious nature of what happened causes a -1 Mood to the Carnival as a whole. The Carnival-goers feel less safe, and are somewhat pulled out of the illusion of this place.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."