Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:36 pm

Shiloh scratches her head and says, "I never thought about that. I guess I take in on faith that the people I interact with are real and not just figments of my imagination. And I'd rather treat people fairly since they might be real, rather than assume people aren't real and run the risk of treating people with feelings badly. Does that make sense?"

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:26 pm

"Well, my feet are still dry," Jack replies merrily. "So that's a good sign you're real."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:01 am

Feathereen seems pleased with your responses, then reaches out a giant wing and splashes Jack with the clean river water. "Looks like your feet are wet now. But that could just be my imagination that I did that to you. Or you're the only thing real, and having put the idea out there your imagination led to 'me' being contrary." As to the halfling, she seems to agree there too. "If I'm the only reality, then I lose nothing by being friendly and kind. If you are real, then relationships matter."
Personally I find discussing the lack of answers to Hard Solipsism for about 5 minutes, then get incredibly bored. There's no real way to prove we're not a Brain in a Jar, or in the Matrix, or whatever. So it's fun to think about for a bit, but then if taken too seriously it leads to nonsense reasoning.
That gets her to open up and start gossiping. She says that the mime Candlefoot (the desaturated man at the Hall of Illusions) made a disastrous attempt to propose to the mermaid Palasha. "He was about to declare his love for the mermaid in front of everyone, when the words left him with a gasp! It was most unusual, and he hasn't spoken a word since. Palasha was very upset."

Trying to then get her to talk about Burly the Bugbear, she tosses out one more philosophical question - "What is Joy?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:55 pm

Shiloh sits up straight and says, "Wait! Hold it! Candlefoot lost his voice when he was about to propose? There were two fair-goers we saw earlier--one of proposed to his sweetheart and she was struck with a spell that caused her to laugh uncontrollably at his proposal. It was right near the Hall of Mirrors and Candlefoot. We managed to help them sort things out--but I think you have some sort of malevolent ... I don't know what ... at the carnival who hates marriage or something."

She settles back into her seat and says, "What is joy? I suppose it's happiness kicked up to the next level. I guess the question is what causes joy? An unexpected but happy surprise?" She leans forward and says, "Based on what I was told, Burly the Bugbear might be able to tell me something that could bring me joy. Then we might have a chance to examine it properly."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:49 am

Quill shrugs. "It's not in my wheelhouse, but maybe someone is trying to give the fare a bad reputation? Magical pranks at the worst times, and meddling with the staff? Anyone who's ever snuck in without a ticket and lost something might wish to get payback." No sooner than the suggestion leaves her lips, she shuts right up.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:08 am

"Joy is playing a trick and not getting caught," Trixie suggests mischievously.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:36 pm

Shiloh looks at Trixie and says, "But what if that trick brings someone else misery--like the ones we were just discussing?"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:20 am

The giant swan is surprised by the fresh gossip from the Hall of Mirrors, not able to get enough about this new tale of spellbound laughter. "Maybe you're right that something is against marriage around here! But for Candlefoot, he knows who did it. Kettlesteam the Kenku did it, although I don't know why. He's tricky, can disguise himself and speak in many voices. He doesn't stay in one place for long, so hard to corner him."

Feathereen laughs at Trixie's comment of "Joy is playing a trick and not getting caught," loving that whole-heartedly. She gets off her philosophical debate long enough to share more about the bugbear Burly who she enjoys having late-night debates with. "He has a profound mind and is simply wasted guarding the staff wagons. He misses his brother tremendously. No one knows what happened to poor Hurly, but everyone knows he never really fit in."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:10 pm

Shiloh asks Feathereen, "Is that where I would fine Burly right now? Among the staff wagons? I would gladly try to use my music to try to bring him some joy, whether or not he can answer my questions."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:50 am

Quill smiles wickedly at Trixie's answer. "But sometimes getting caught is even more fun!"

She is surprised to hear these things about bugbears, but she frowns at the news of Burly's missing brother. "Nobody knows a thing? That's awful. How long has he been gone?"