Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:42 am

Welcome twitches in Trixi's direction at the sweet-smelling aroma and chitters at Trixi, which Quill understands to be begging. Quill reaches up with practiced familiarity and cradles him with a hand to keep him steady, and then gives Jack a confused look.

"No? I hear music." She shrugs, and indeed she does not seem stirred by the performance.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:25 pm

Shiloh looks quizzically at Mariana, but then nods, "It's good to find someone to play music with." She pauses, then says, "How I about I lead and you follow?" She switchers her fiddle for her lute and begins playing a song about the great deeds of a pair of halfling adventurers--notably, one of them has the same last name as she does, Briarroam. She is in fact singing of her mother and father, as she often does, hoping someone has heard of them and she might be able to find her way home. And what better place to do so than the Witchlight Fair, since this is where she became lost?

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:51 pm

The Fairy and the Harengon are Witchlight Hands, the backbone of the Witchlight Carnival. A motley collection of always exactly 124 individuals who operate many of the booths, make repairs, feed and exercise the animals, keep an eye out for thieves and other miscreants, and perform other miscellaneous tasks as Mister Witch dictates. A few also work part-time as performers and attractions. Although they travel to many worlds throughout the Material Plane, Witchlight hands rarely leave the Carnival grounds. For many, the Carnival is the only world they know and care about.

All Hands enter into an agreement when they join the Carnival: they must never harm another staff member, and they can't leave the Carnival for more than one day at a time. Longer leaves are effectively resignations, and the Carnival will move on without them. They have no set uniform, the wildness of their dress part of the chaotic fun of the place, but those who are fully On-Duty are required to wear magical fake butterfly wings strapped to their backs. These spontaneously change color and size at odd times, and flutter when small children are near. When off-duty such as with Trixi and Jack, they take them off. Known only to some, Mister Witch and Mister Light also furnish them with small amounts of pixie dust, to be used as they deem fit to provide joy to the guests.
Pixie Dust (Wondrous Item, Uncommon): As an Action, you can sprinkle this dust on yourself or another creature you can see within 5 feet of you. The recipient gains a flying speed of 30 feet and the ability to hover for 1 minute. If the creature is airborne when this effect ends, it falls safely to the ground, taking no damage and landing on its feet. A small packet contains enough for one use.
The group has gathered around the Ticket Booth, the natural entry-point for the Carnival. A silver statue of a dancing faerie is mounted on the roof of this ticket booth, and surrounded by fluttering magenta butterflies. The booth is decorated with an animated depiction of the night sky, with shooting stars arcing across it.

An elderly goblin perches behind the ticket counter, peering at you quizzically through a spyglass. He has an overly large, ornate hearing horn hanging off his neck by a leather thong, like a strange amulet. He lowers the spyglass and calls out to you: "Greetings, fair fairgoers! Welcome to the Witchlight Carnival. Come to buy tickets, have you?"
The Witchlight Hands know this man as Nikolas Midnight, ticketer for only the gods know how many years. He is almost as much a staple as Mister Witch and Mister Light. Adult tickets cost 8 silver pieces, and a child's ticket is only 3. Instead of paying money, a Visitor may also always try to barter with Nikolas, making a one-night fey pact with the man. The results are rarely to never malicious, but it is a pact nonetheless. Violation will void their ticket (the ticket will literally transform into a bat and fly away), and the Carnival does not kindly treat ticket-less guests, as you all have experienced in the past.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:07 pm

Shiloh approached the goblin and said, "Yes, I've come to purchase a ticket." She pays for it, then says, "Once, when I was a child, I didn't pay for a ticket--and paid in another way. Is there any way to make up for that and get back what I lost? As you've just seen, I'm a skilled bard and I'd be happy to perform. Or I am open to other tasks, as long as I don't have to do anyone any harm."
Persuasion 5 if necessary.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:17 pm

"Oh, excuse me, I need to get a ticket," says Quill. "See you inside." She joins the queue at the booth with handful of silver. Welcome keeps sniffing after the smell of sweets from Trixi.

PrideofSkirata
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PrideofSkirata » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:46 am

Marania looks at the ticket goblin and places her gold onto the counter her breast bouncing off the table as she looks and waits for her ticket to enter the fair patiently her blond hair blowing in the wind while her tail horns and wings were hidden, and her fishnet stockings showed off as her grandma would have said too much of her thighs

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:49 pm

Jack shakes his head. "Must just be me, then." The Harengon follows the group inside in bounding steps, being able to get in for free as a result of his work as a Witchlight hand. "So, which way and what adventures first?"

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:50 pm

While waiting for those she's just been introduced to to pay for their tickets, Trixie amuses herself by inspecting (from a distance) those in line for shiny trinkets she might "borrow."

"Clockwise is always fun, but you could also go counter-clockwise," Trixie suggests. "Or if you want the full experience, pick a direction at random and go where the mood takes you!"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:45 am

Responding to Shiloh first, the goblin sniffs in a rather judge-y way. "There is no lost-and-found basket behind the ticket counter, if that's what you're wondering. If you lost something by disobeying the rules then you best move on with your life and get used to being without. The Witchlight Carnival is a place of dreams and wonder, and the price has been paid." He looks the bard over with a penetrating eye. "But as you are a person who brings wonderment to others, then the Carnival welcomes you with open arms!" He smiles toothily, and rummages around some papers on the counter. He consults some sort of list, considers it for a moment, and then nods. "Excellent, we haven't had someone do this one in a while. Always a crowd favorite."

He slides over a Ticket, with Shiloh's name inscribed upon it. "Your Pact is to perform a short dance whenever you hear someone say your name." He removes his hand from the Ticket, giving Shiloh the opportunity to pick it up or not, sealing the deal. "The Pact expires at the end of the evening once the Witchlight Monarch is named, at which point you will have fulfilled your end of the bargain. Do we have a deal?" At this point it comes to your attention that you never actually told him your name ...

For the others that offered Gold, the elderly goblin swiftly and efficiently exchanges coin for Tickets, with your names inscribed upon them whether or not you introduced yourselves. Even the Witchlight Hands get Tickets, as they are off duty and enjoying themselves on their personal time. Nothing comes for free at the Carnival.
On the north-west edge of the Roll20 Map, you can see hourly Hourglasses. The Carnival is open for 8 hours, then packs up and leaves for the next town. I put a little butterfly icon on Hour I. Time will slowly progress as you go and do stuff.
- Regarding the Pixie Dust, it is not something you need to get stingy on. Feel free to refresh your stock every Hour (if needed). Nobody will object.

On the south-east edge of the Roll20 Map, you can see gradated happy/sad clown faces (terrifying, I know). This is effectively a Mood Meter. This can go up or down as the evening goes on, depending on what you do / react to. The bouncers aren't going to shoot you if it gets fully Sad or anything, but this is a magical place, and it responds to the moods and actions of the Fair-goers. Lights will feel warmer or instead more menacing, laughter can lift the heart or place it on edge, that sort of idea.

Finally, a List of the Locations you can see at the Carnival (in alphabetical order, after the Ticket Booth of course):
Ticket Booth
Big Top
Bubble-Pop Teapot
Calliope
Carousel
Dragonfly Rides
Feasting Orchard
Gondola Swans
Hall of Illusions
Lost Property
Mystery Mine
Pixie Kingdom
Silversong Lake
Small Stalls
Snail Racing
Staff Area
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

PrideofSkirata
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PrideofSkirata » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:46 pm

Marania grabs the hand of her new halfling friend and runs for the dragonfly rides looking as if unlike everyone else in the festive Shes never seen a festival her wings and tails and horns all hiding from everyone what she truly is as she just looks like a beautiful young woman looking at the lights and carnivals with childlike wonder as she sniffs the air smelling what these humans must call Cotton candy and popcorn as her heart smiles in genuine childlike wonder she breathe a sigh of happiness as she does her eyes glowing in the lights