Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:17 pm

Her question answered, Shiloh allows Mariana to drag her into the carnival. Shiloh says jokingly, "How do you know that's not Tasha herself? This is the Hall of Illusions! Perhaps she has cast an illusion over herself to appear as a humble mannequin, all the better to listen in on the conversations of the unwary."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:47 pm

"Oh, Really?" Quill stares at the mannequin and squints.

(Quill is intentionally attempting to "disbelieve" an illusion)

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:22 pm

Shiloh looks at Quill with bemusement, not expecting her jest to have been taken seriously.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:56 am

The clown in front of the entrance has no color at all to his skin, as though it was all leached out. His skin, hair, eyes, and apparel all look muted, giving him a strangely monochromatic look. He moves his lips, then shakes his head while holding a hand up to one ear. No sound comes from his mouth. He gestures to the mannequin, giving you the go-ahead to approach 'Tasha' inside her glass cabinet, if you wish. Alternatively he waves a hole-punch in his other hand, ready to punch your ticket for admission into the Hall of Illusions if you wish to go right in.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:06 pm

Quill scooches closer to the glass. "I can't tell. It must be a very strong image." Quill gets her ticket punched, a little put off by the lack of verbal response from the clown, and turns back to the musician. "And what's your name?" She grins expectantly, waiting to hear - and see - how the question is answered.

(I actually missed that part about it being a joke. Oh well, better go all the way with it!)

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:17 pm

"Hmm," says Shiloh. "The ticket master told me any time someone called my name, I would have to perform. Do you know if that includes me? My companions?" she asks the clown. She's not expecting a verbal answer but a nod or shake of the head.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:40 am

"Better safe than sorry," Jack says to the halfling, even though they weren't formally introduced. "At least if you can play well. And from what I heard, you can. A tune, a song, a symphony, all perfect in their time and place!" The harengon bounces around the group in something that is both a skip and a hop.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:00 am

The clown looks at Shiloh with big, soulful, pale eyes and nods silently at her alone. She's the one with the performance pact, so the dance is up to her interpretation. Given how open of an instruction it was, a jump and a twirl might be enough, or something larger and grander. This is the Witchlight Carnival after all, a place of merriment and wonder. Going above and beyond is almost a given for performers here.

As she gets ready to perform whatever dance she decides upon, her memory of Tasha's fame pings a faint memory in her study of lore from the past. While Tasha was the public name of the legendary archmage, some reports claim that it was a name used by Iggwilv the Witch Queen. Whether this is just a fantastic piece of propaganda from the Daughter of Baba Yaga, the Matriarch of Diabolists, or is simply a fake rumor, is unknown. Regardless, Tasha is a mysterious figure in magical lore.
Shiloh - Intelligence (History) check: 21, Pass!
While she decides on her actions, the group notices a halfling couple holding hands as they too approach the glass cabinet with 'Tasha' inside, getting right up next to it. One of the halflings is wearing butterfly face paint. With a shy smile and shaky hands, he drops to one knee and pulls a small box from his pocket, obviously proposing to his beloved. Surprisingly, his sweetheart bursts into laughter and begins rolling on the ground. The halfling in face paint begins sobbing, and darts into the nearby tent without getting his ticket punched.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:49 pm

Shiloh says, "Thank you," to the clown, turns to Quill and says, "My name is Shiloh." As she speaks her name, she spins and turns in a brief dance.

As she sees the halfling dart into the tent, she says, "Oh dear." Turning to the clown, she asks, "Let me pay for him. I don't want him to get cursed simply because he's emotionally distraught."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:55 am

Quill smiles, but the laughing woman gets her attention and turns her smile into a sour frown as she witnesses the event.

Welcome continues to warble in protest as the gnome moves around.
roll Arcana to recognize whether that was Hideous Laughter or another spell.

Or, since Quill said a few posts back that her brother liked to use Hideous Laughter, would she be able to notice by recognizing other signs, using Perception?