Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:18 am

Quill's ear twitches. "But we all figure that Witch and Light are being difficult, don't we? We might have to if it gets late. And in this case, it's a lead, not random people. And then we'll put it back. No problem. I mean of course it'll be tricky. If it's really important to do a wait-and-see first, I guess we'll see what we can see."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:44 am

"I think we should approach Mr. Witch and Mr. Light after the show," Jack says, his bravado disappearing at the mention of stealing his employer's signature possession. "Given how harsh they are for sneaking in without a ticket, I honestly don't want to see how they'd react to robbery."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:56 am

Shiloh says, "Yeah, that's a really good point. Let's not steal from people who will curse children for not paying for a ticket. Not if we don't have to." She looks at Jack. "You work for them. What do you think the best way to approach them is? Ask them directly? Talk around the issue?"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:28 am

Kettlesteam is clearly jaded. He doesn't know what you're really talking about regarding stealing from Witch and Light (as that was Burly's plan), but while he's willing to give back what he stole, he doesn't have faith that anything short of severe measures will have any effect. But his actions haven't succeeded in effecting change, so there's no proof that his methods would have ultimately worked either.

He shrugs. "As an attendee, you do have a chance to earn an audience with them anyways. Someone will be personally crowned by Mr. Light the Witchlight Monarch at the end of the evening. There isn't an exact metric or pattern on the qualifications, but in general it's usually someone who made a big impact on the night's events." He pauses. "Although I suppose the other way could work too. If you cause enough trouble, you'll be dragged in front of them by security to answer for your actions. So technically that's another way of getting their attention."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:06 pm

Shiloh looks at Kettlesteam brightly and says, "Well, if you return what you stole because we asked you to, that might get one of us crowned the Witchlight Monarch. What do you say? I can accompany you while you return things and apologize, explaining I persuaded you to give them back."
Persuasion 5. I'm not sure if he's still under the effect of Charm Person.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:49 pm

Quill gives Kettlesteam a sidelong glance for a sign of a ruse beneath his apparent cooperation. She wonders how exactly a bird can talk without any teeth - or do kenku actually have teeth?? Bugged by her curiosity, she tries to get a glimpse of pearl-white nibblers behind his mandible.
Insight: 5

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:01 pm

Well, in real life, parrots can reproduce human speech with a completely different vocal apparatus. And I think some ravens can learn to do so as well.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:23 am

Shiloh finds Kettlesteam to be very tractable, and not just from the charm spell. While the charm got him to listen to you in the first place without continuing to run, it was only an assistance for your earlier persuasion to return the voice. He doesn't have person malice towards the person, he was doing it for a purpose that you are also pursuing. You have common cause, so asking to additionally take credit for the restitution is no problem to him. He didn't care either way, and if it helps you to fix what is terribly wrong around this place, then all the better.

Quill can't quite justify grabbing the kenku's beak and holding it wide for a detailed inspection. But from what is plainly visible it is just like a large raven. Bony beak, no teeth, and an agile tongue.
A reminder that if you want to make the Big Top Extravaganza, you'll need to go immediately rather than segue to returning the Voice. Or trust Kettlesteam to do so independently, and go check up on the results later. Could alternately split the Party (you monsters!) to handle both.

Shiloh - Persuasion success. He's already agreed to return the Voice, so having you go along to take the credit isn't objectionable to him.

Quill - Insight failure. But still from plain view you don't see any teeth.
- Responding to the OOC question, you don't get any additional Insight into how he would respond to the revelation of the charm spell. But your deduction on revealing the spell's presence could track.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:11 am

Shiloh says to the others, "I'm not really interested in going to see the big show. I came here to get my memories back and it seems like solving this mystery might be the best way to do that. I'm happy to go with Kettlesteam as he returns the things he's stolen."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:24 pm

"Well, if the Carnival really would give me back what I lost for solving this, I wouldn't say no." The gnome reaches behind and strokes Welcome's spines. "Music doesn't move me. I can't get a rhythm, and dancing isn't what it used to be. Unless I've enjoyed a drink. It's nothing so dear as the all memories of my burrow and of my clan, though. I can't imagine losing even one." She wilts at the thought.