Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:06 pm

Shiloh says, "Well, honestly, I came here as a child and didn't pay my fee--and I'm hoping to find a way to recover what was taken from me instead." Given what was taken from her, she doubts the masters of the Carnival are actually good people, but decides it would be less than diplomatic to share this thought. "But I don't want to see other people hurt, regardless of the cause, so I'm happy to help out however I can. Shall we start with trying to find your brother? Than we can handle the romance-hating prankster."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:46 pm

Jack takes his leave of Feathereen, saying to her, "You asked what joy is. People say you need to have some sadness in your life to appreciate happiness. Joy is the happiness so pure it makes you forget about sadness." With that, the harengon bounds away, joining his compatriots as they head to speak with Burly.

Listen to Burly speak, Jack considers his words then asks, "There was a girl in the Hall of Mirrors. Actually inside one of the panes, whispering to a customer. She wore a mask of a pig's face. Have you seen anyone like that before?"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:33 am

Burly looks back and forth at the avalanche of conversation that comes his way. He tries to organize his response as best he can.

"I don't know much about any troubles in particular, such as what happened to anyone as a child, or this strange pig-mask girl in mirrors. But that definitely fits the pattern of what I've seen. If anyone breaks any rules, unwittingly or not, strange and terrible things happen to them. Sometimes curses or whatnot happen without rhyme or reason, at least from my perspective. Maybe they had a cause I just haven't seen."

He looks back at Quill. "I am aware of the Kenku, however. Would love to see him tracked down and confronted. He's too slippery for me to manage."

He scratches his head in concern, then tries to pull it all together again. "So what I was going to suggest was to compel Witch and Light to reveal what they know. My best idea is something I could never manage, purloining Mister Witch's witchlight watch (without which the carnival can't stay on schedule). the upcoming Bit Top Extravaganza is the best time I know, since it's the only real time they're separated." He shrugs his shoulders uncomfortably. "I don't condone theft, but it wouldn't really be stealing if you give it back later. And I don't want to get blamed, as it would mean losing my job and my home. And I don't want to see anyone hurt. Mister Light and Mister Witch may have some issues, but they're not monsters, and without them the Carnival will fall apart."

He gives a physical description of the witchlight watch. It's attached to his waistcoat by a chain, so whoever tries to steal it would need something to break or unfasten the chain. And of course go unnoticed while doing it. As for people who might actually be useful to help, he says that Dirlagraun, Candlefoot, and Palasha might be willing to help. He cautions against talking to Thaco, as he's untrustworthy.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:43 pm

Shiloh says awkwardly, "It might not be really stealing--but it sounds like the sort of rule-breaking that might bring a curse down on whoever did it." She stands pensively for a moment, then says, "I guess we can try it as a last resort, but I'd like to try another way first. Could someone be blackmailing Mister Light and Mister Witch? If we can catch the kenku, maybe they can tell us more." She looks at the others to see what they think.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:33 am

Trixie blushes a little when Burly mentions things going missing. But at least she usually just trades or borrowes without permission. "If you need something, er, borrowed, I'm pretty good at that."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:48 am

Quill just nods along to Burly. He knows his bosses better than she does.

"Mm, catching the fellow would be more my speed than purse-snatching. I agree. We'd better be sure before we try the other one. If we're caught, we can probably forget about ever coming back."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:42 am

Burly wouldn't be any help in catching the kenku, given that the bird-man is a shapeshifter and can appear like anyone else, and change clothing without issue. Perceptive individuals might be able to pick him out if they can get close enough. If he's using the stolen voice of Candlefoot, the bugbear describes it as a soft, silky baritone. Quite lovely, in fact.

He doesn't have any other real ideas on forcing Mister Light and Mister Witch to talk. He's disappointed if you turn down the idea, but not all that surprised. He doesn't even seem bitter or angry about it either. It was a long-shot proposal to strangers after all.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:37 am

"Oh, we aren't ruling it out. We'll give it a try, honest. But first, let's see if we can pick him out of the crowd at the Big Top event. Everyone's supposed to be there, right?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:22 pm

Shiloh looks pensive and then says, "What if we set a trap for him? Create a seemingly romantic moment and, when he tries to disrupt it, we spring the trap? That seems like a better bet than trying to pick a shapeshifter out among a crowd."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:46 pm

As the Big Top Extravaganza crowd gathers, the team set themselves at various vantage points to observe the people. This is the second-biggest event of the Carnival, second only to the crowning of the Witchlight Monarch. A blessing in that the kenku is almost certain to come this way to cause mischief, but a curse in that there are so many people to investigate.

Shiloh and Jack set themselves near the entrance to the Big Top, looking for anyone acting suspicious or otherwise setting themselves apart, but find nothing of note.
Intelligence (Investigation) Checks: Jack 10, Shiloh 12, both fail.
Trixie and Quill set themselves farther away, using their small size and Trixie's wings to get close to people as they funnel in from other parts of the Carnival. After a while they both hone in on an odd-looking human who doesn't walk quite right, as those high arms and legs are built differently than they appear. In other circumstances they might not have paid attention to the strangeness. After all, they might just be drunk. Trixie flies close and listens in, and finds the man's find unusually soft and silky. Which is how Candlefoot the Mime's voice was described to them. This must be the guy!
Intelligence (Investigation) Checks: Quill 14, Trixie 15, both Succeed. You have identified the kenku in the crowd.
The disguised Kettlesteam hasn't yet noticed those shadowing him, but is likely to bolt when confronted.