Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Post by Muskrat » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:31 pm

"So the 'prank' was performed by someone not associated with carnival?" says Shiloh. "I must say I'm relieved to hear that--it was a rather nasty thing to do."

Though robbing a child of her memories of home for the minor crime of sneaking into the carnival was also a nasty thing to do, Shiloh thought to herself.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:21 pm

Pixie Kingdom

A copse of oak trees shelters a miniaturized fairground. At its heart, a hamsters runs inside a tiny Ferris wheel, encircled by miniscule wagons and candy stalls. A pixie sits cross-legged in the hollow of a tree at the entrance to this little realm.

The pixie waves enthusiastically at your approach, introducing himself as Jeremy Plum the Extraordinaire! He flits his wings and is suddenly zipping around the group at full speed, laughing with the joy of moving. He extols the Pixie Kingdom as the best attraction the Carnival has ever offered, just a ticket punch away.

While Trixi doesn't need any help being a pixie (clearly), those who are admitted are sprinkled with pixie dust so they can fly, and given a potion that when consumed reduces them to the size of pixies for a solid hour (or until they want it to end). He also encourages them to adopt pixie names for their stay, tossing out ideas for the temporary adoption.
Here's the list that Jeremy Plum gives. You can choose one of these, make up another, or just refuse to join in on the silliness:
- Brightmite
- Cobweb
- Cotton Candy
- Dimple
- Jellybean Starfish
- Panache
- Puddlemud
- Toadhop
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 am

The gnome merc smiles warmly at the offer of a new name. She sets Welcome down on a log and lays out some dry nuts, and tells him to be good. After taking her draft, she settles on Panache, and flies along the ground toward the wagons.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:44 pm

Trixie, who had wandered a bit while the group spent time in the hall of illusions, returns as the group arrived at the Pixie Kingdom. She felt at home there, seemingly a giant pixie herself (or something akin) and greets Jeremy Plum with a polite curtsey. "Cinnamon shall by my name!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:54 pm

Shiloh scratches her head and says, "The price of admission for me was that I perform whenever anyone says my name. So if I were to take a pixie name, would it be my ... normal name, my pixie name or both?"

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:42 am

"Both!" shouts the now-miniature Trixie. "More fun that way."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Mon May 02, 2022 7:30 pm

"Well, I suppose Puddlemud it is!" Jack says as he drinks the potion. "How has the evening been, Jeremy? It's not every stop that I get to be a guest instead of a worker." The Harengon hops flies around in loops as he talks with the Pixie.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 03, 2022 5:09 am

The Pixie Kingdom is a tranquil oasis compared to the rest of the bustling carnival. The air is filled with the aroma of blackberry wine and flower blossoms. Eight brightly painted doorways are nestled in the bark at the bases of the surrounding trees.

Twelve pixies reside here during carnival hours. They are friendly, curious, and eager to ask new arrivals all sorts of questions. Jeremy is personally delighted to have his fellow Witchlight Hands here as guests, and flies around with the now-miniaturized Jack, trying to egg him into a race circling around the trees and wagons.

There are a number of delightful things to engage with. And unlike the drama with the Hall of Illusions, there doesn't seem to be even a hint of conflict.
- One person at a time can ride Pinecone, an excitable pug that listens only to Pixies
- The Kingdom's centerpiece is a Pixie Palace made entirely of old cocoon husks beautifully woven together
- People can dine on cucamelon sandwiches and thimbleberry tarts inside one of the pixie Cottages
- People can ride the Wheel, which is powered by a talkative hamster named Biscuit. He is intelligent and can speak, seeming to be an inveterate gossipmonger
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 03, 2022 5:09 pm

Jeremy never answered Shiloh's question.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue May 03, 2022 7:51 pm

Quill gets a sandwich from the cottage, turning her nose toward the smell of the wine. Where do they keep the wine...? (are there bites of pickled cucamelon to go with the sandwiches?) As she's wondering about the wine, putting the sandwich away in eager bites, she eyes the Wheel curiously. She decides to go and introduce herself to the hamster, and asks how to ride the Wheel.