Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Chapter 1: Witchlight Carnival

Post by Othniel » Fri May 20, 2022 2:12 am

"I won't say your name during the game," Trixie solemnly promises. She's excited for hide-and seek, as she is particularly good at hiding.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Fri May 20, 2022 2:35 am

Jack hops to the forming game. When Shiloh asks for no one to say her name during the hide-and-seek, the rabbit folk gives a large, flourishing bow, his wide-brimmed hat in his hand. "On my honor as a Harengon."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 20, 2022 6:20 pm

"Thank you all," says Shiloh, returning Jack's bow.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun May 22, 2022 1:55 am

Starbug dramatically covers her eyes with her hands, and begins counting backwards from twenty. Honeymint flies up above the Pixie Kingdom, keeping an eye on everything with an almost over-the-top solemnity. Once the countdown is finished, Starbug whips out a shortbow, knocking an arrow and going on the hunt.

None of the other contestants betray Shiloh by saying her name, but she simply has a run of bad luck. She ducks down in an overgrown patch of wildflowers, letting the riotous colors completely camouflage her presence ... or at least it would have, had they not been talking wildflowers. As soon as Shiloh settles down the evidently conceited blooms start bickering over which of them has the silkiest petals and the finest aroma. Noticing the disturbance, Starbug dives and lets loose an arrow! However, the usually-pointy end is instead a fluffy dandelion, and upon impact it the seeds poof out dramatically.

Jack uses his insider knowledge to hop in the Heron's Nest with its resident, Beatrice. She is fond of the Harengon, and makes room for him in her nest. Too fond of him as it turns out, as she can't stop herself from making conversation about the weather, betraying his presence. Another dandelion head goes poof!

Lastly, Quill and Trixie both bribe Biscuit the Hamster with snacks and hide in a couple of his wicker carriages as he trundles around inside the contraption turning the wheel. It takes a solid minute for the Hunter to find them, loosing arrows at both of them simultaneously. The one that hits Trixie goes poof, but the one headed for Quill passes right on through. It was an illusion! The real Quill then stands up from her hiding place atop the Pixie Palace itself.

Starbug looks exasperated, but Honeymint is delighted and gifts Quill a specially decorated packet of pixie dust, with two leaves as propeller blades.
Stealth Rolls:
Shiloh = 5
Jack = 10
Trixie = 21
Quill = 22 - rewarded a decorated packet of Pixie Dust

There's nothing else to find in the Pixie Kingdom of note. You can visit 1 more Location before it's time for the "Big Top Extravaganza!" at, well, the Big Top.

Remaining Locations:
Big Top (before the Extravaganza, if so desired)
Bubble-Pop Teapot
Calliope
Carousel
Dragonfly Rides
Feasting Orchard
Gondola Swans
Lost Property
Mystery Mine
Silversong Lake
Small Stalls
Snail Racing
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun May 22, 2022 3:57 am

"Good shot!" Quill smiles mischievously, proud that her special power came in handy, but she reaches out to shake Starbug's hand for showmanship. "You're very handy with that bow, Starbug. How did you learn it?"

It would almost sound like a taunt, if not for the way Quill speaks the Pixie's name. Characteristic of her kind, the gnome is genuinely interested in the Pixie's personal life.
Definitely visit as many locations as we can before the Big Top. Mystery Mine is pretty close and we just had a quick bite to eat. We might see some shenanigans in the minecart ride...

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon May 23, 2022 6:23 pm

Shiloh shrugs good naturedly when Starbug hits her with the dandelion arrow. "I suppose as a performer who normally wants attention on them, I wouldn't be good at hiding, would I?"

She tells the others, "I want to go to the Gondola Swans. I'm ... hoping for a lead there."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri May 27, 2022 12:02 am

"Oh, swans sound fun, let's do that." If Trixie was disappointed for not winning at hide-and-seek, she didn't show it.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Tue May 31, 2022 9:45 pm

Jack twists in the air as the dandelion arrow strikes true, landing in a way that won't bend his pixie wings. He then proceeds to go into his 'last words,' asking Beatrice the heron to remember him fondly as he falls to the slings and dandelions of outrageous fortune. Of course, his grave condition is nothing that some applause and dramatic mourning, which Beatrice amply supplies, won't cure outright. Back on his feet again, the Harengon bows with a flourish and gives the heron a kiss on her wing as if he accepting a lady's proffered hand.

Rejoining the group, Jack listens to the discussion. Jack tries to remember where the mermaid is located, as his affliction gives him a sensitivity concerning tales of broken hearts and unrequited love.
Last edited by Bohemond on Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 31, 2022 9:59 pm

Gondola Swans

Enormous swans glide through the water here, pulling ornate wooden gondolas draped in flowers. The swans disappear into banks of silver mist as they wend their way down the river. A jetty extends ahead, at the end of which a waiting swan preens its feathers.

Asking around on who Burly the Bugbear talks to the most you're pointed towards Feathereen. Waiting a couple minutes for her to come around and unload her passengers, you are ushered forward as her next group. The giant swan bows her head in formal greeting, and comes off as erudite and haughty.

Once on board, she tosses out a metaphysical question - "How do I know you exist?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:02 pm

The swan's question stumps Quill. Finally, the gnome smiles and answers, "If you give me something, and never get it back, then you know I took it from you? Or I could give you something. Do you like grapes? Wine?"

_
Proceeds to howl and rattle a long and ponderous chain