Chapter 2: Hither

Once every eight years, the fantastic Witchlight Carnival touches down on your world, bringing joy to one settlement after the next. Its owners, Mister Witch and Mister Light, know how to put on a good show. But there’s more to this magical extravaganza than meets the eye!

The carnival is a gateway to a fantastic Feywild domain unlike anything found on the Material Plane. Time has not been kind to this realm, however, and dark days lie ahead unless someone can thwart the dastardly schemes of the Hourglass Coven.
Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Re: Chapter 2: Hither

Post by Bohemond » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:51 am

"I could leap over them, possibly," the Harengon volunteers. "Assuming they're asleep long enough for me to cross, free Sir Talavar, and return."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:56 pm

Shiloh says, "Well, the first question is if my spell will be powerful enough to put them to sleep. The second question is if all that will take you under a minute." She taps her foot. "I think we should try putting them to sleep and working within the time frame that gives us. If that doesn't work out, we can use Quill's idea as a plan B."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:32 am

"Got it. I'll be ready if they don't fall asleep again." She backs away from the snakes in a generous angle, ostensibly to get into position and ready her magic.
Ready Action: if the snakes don't fall asleep from Shiloh's magic I will cast Minor Illusion in the way I planned earlier.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:56 pm

Shiloh hops around on one foot while quietly chanting the words of the spell at the two huge snakes.
Sleep: 5d8: 14 hit dice worth of creatures

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:54 am

"Sir Talavar, I presume?" Trixie addressed the pixie dragon. "Let me see if I can get you out."
Apologies! I missed that there was an update for me somehow. I'd like to pull out my thieves tools and try to pop the lock.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:04 am

Shiloh suddenly stops and says, "Blast, I just realized my spell is probably not powerful enough to put even one of those snakes to sleep." She looks guiltily at Quill. "I think we may need to follow your plan."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:07 am

"Crap on a log. I can manage them. No problem at all. Keep your distance, okay?"

Quill's words seem to be self-reassuring rather than outwardly helpful as she works herself up to executing the plan as she laid out: moving just barely within range of the opposite corner of the tower - putting her closer to the snakes than she would like - to start with waking up the snakes using illusions of a wild pig's call of distress.

Then, luring the snakes away opposite from her as they wake, using images of wild pigs.
This is just going to be a cantrip Minor Illusion, so to make this a skill challenge, it would be Stealth to remain hidden, or perhaps Arcana to make the illusions convincing? MWD let me know what, if you would like any rolls from me.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:58 pm

Quill stalks forward as silent as she can, to get into the best position to lure away the giant snakes. Early on she accidentally steps on some hidden thing that lets out a croak of alarm and rushes away, but the napping serpents don't seem to notice. So even after a moment of panic, she is able to get where she intended to without being detected.
Stealth (w/ Advantage since snakes are napping): 5, 22 - choosing 22, Success.
Visualizing in her mind the sound she wants to make, Quill casts her illusionary spell. A satisfyingly realistic porcine squeal sounds loudly from the spiky thorns a stones throw away from the snakes. They immediately perk up, their tongues lashing the air. More piggy cries of distress sound off further away, and the guards give chase. Soon enough they are out of line of sight. The way to the tower's door is clear!
Arcana: 14, Success.
Trixie gets out her tools, and expertly fits them appropriately into the lock. She feels around for the shape of the locking mechanism, and is pleased to find it primitive and easily navigable.
I wasn't sure if I do a Dex Check + Proficiency or just go Sleight of Hand for 5e lock-picking, so went with the Skill: 21, Success.
Surprisingly as she applies skilled pressure, the lock refuses to budge. She changes positioning of her tools, and no movement. She pulls out bulkier tools to apply more pressure, and nothing budges in the slightest. Trixie looks quizzically at the imprisoned Sir Talavar and the little violet dragon sighs. "Apologies, noble rescuer. But it appears that my captor has used magic to keep me imprisoned, rather than using purely mundane means. The goblin Jingle Jangle used a key to lock me in, so perhaps it is magic of some sort. My intelligence has her home atop Telemy Hill, not too far from here."

He shakes his small head in despair. "I fear that I will not live to report to the Summer Queen that Zybilna has been overthrown by the Hourglass Coven. The hags have grown more powerful than we had ever dreamed."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:41 pm

Quill breathes a sigh of relief as the snakes disappear on their hunt, and whispers a thank-you to her fraternal mentor.

She walks back to Shiloh and Jack and says, "There we go, that's done it. How's Trixie doing?" She looks up at the balloon wreck for any sign of their fairy friend or whatever progress she might have made.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:32 am

Shiloh looks up and frowns. "It's taking her longer than it seems like it should." She calls up, "Trixie, we've drawn the snakes away, at least for now. I'm going to come up and see if I can give you a hand." Cautiously, she enters the tower door and begins making her way up, remaining alert to any dangers within.