Character Creation

The OOC Forum for the D&D 5E: The Wild Beyond the Witchlight game
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Character Creation

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:57 pm

Given that this is a curse placed on the person who snuck in rather than pay, I imagine it must be that the carnival itself, or the masterminds behind it indirectly, stole that memory from him. So, she captured his attention when he was there, while the carnival took something from him. I didn't get the impression that the curse leaves physical marks, the effect is on your mind. But I'm not the DM.

The heart is related to empathy. So perhaps your ability to relate to other people is stunted? You take a penalty or Disadvantage on Charisma-based skill checks unless you are trying to deceive someone? This could have dark implications for your character, since he's apparently "heartless" and actively searching for a person he wants. Meaning that unless a certain condition is met, you would treat this like an obsession.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:19 pm

My assumption was that the "hook" for my character would be that he would be given the memory of who she was and/or where he could find. I don't know what, if any, in-game mechanics would be for the "lost thing" or the curse, and I don't know if we even necessarily have a say in said curse (it's a curse after all).

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:50 pm

I interpreted "minor curse" as not having a mechanical effect. The impact on one's life of the curse--my character can't even remember where she is from--is pretty significant.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:18 pm

I'm fine with either interpretation. There is a small Mechanistic effect:

Each character, having lost something precious as a child, is unable to gain inspiration (as described in the Player’s Handbook) until they get back what was taken from them. A remove curse spell is not powerful enough to end this effect on a character, but a wish spell can. This might not seem like much of a drawback, as characters can cope just fine without ever gaining inspiration. Think of it more as a splinter under one’s fingernail—a nagging, mildly painful annoyance that slightly diminishes one’s happiness.

---

If you want to add something beyond the Roleplaying aspect, to enhance the presence of that Loss, then I'm all for it. Can add extra flavor to the character, and be of use making memorable moments.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:10 am

Maybe, to go with the theme of everyone having an instrument but me, and as something to owe to negative my Charisma mod, maybe I'll go with the inability to be moved by music. And that drinking alcohol simulates it.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:32 am

Ooh, I like that one.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:18 pm

How about my character has lost her sense of time? Sometimes a whole hour passes in a blink, and sometimes seconds seem to stretch on to eternity.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:45 pm

I've known people in real life who have no sense of time. :) They're always late. Or they talk at great length and honestly have no idea how much time they're eating up. All without any malice.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:42 am

I like it a lot! Great idea