Character Creation

The OOC Forum for the D&D 5E: The Wild Beyond the Witchlight game
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Character Creation

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:17 pm

Roll20 access: https://app.roll20.net/join/12293788/5PERfg

Standard Level 1 character creation. All D&D 5E classes/races/backgrounds are available. Anything 3rd party would need GM Approval.

There are 2 Backgrounds you can see in the Library that are additional options at Character Creation: Witchlight Hand (you have a job at the Carnival), or Feylost (somewhat self-explanatory). There are also 2 additional Races as options - Fey and Harengon (getting strong Redwall vibes looking at the artwork).

There are 2 general approaches to the Plot Hook, and I'd welcome feedback on which you would prefer.
- Lost Things: You snuck into the Carnival as a child (without a ticket), and something was Stolen to you. This isn't like "I lost my favorite toy", more like "The ability to smile". So a more personal adventure hook, giving you reason to seek out the Carnival (if you're a local), or to be traveling with it (as a Witchlight Hand). You'll also have a minor curse and other things to overcome as you seek to regain what you lost.
- Warlock's Quest: More of a classic take on starting the adventure. At least one PC would have to have a Background unconnected with the Carnival (i.e. a non-Adventure specific Background), and is contacted by this Warlock to travel into the faerie realm, to seek out his Patron that he has lost contact with. If you choose to be a Warlock you could even have the same Patron, giving a more personal reason to get involved. Any Witchlight Hand characters are contacted indirectly by the Warlock via a supernatural messenger, but their assistance is similarly requested.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Character Creation

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:23 pm

For "Lost Things," could it be "I lost my home"? When I left the carnival, I found myself so far from home, no one had ever heard of where I was from. My character is still seeking a way back to their home and family.

ManWithDoor

Character Creation

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:26 pm

It would be a bit deeper than that. You don't remember where your home is at all. You're seeking the memory of where that is, to recover it. It's possible you could walk through your home town and not recognize it.

But otherwise that sounds like a great idea!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Character Creation

Post by Bohemond » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:13 pm

So, silly question: do we use the point buy system in the PHB? Or would we roll? I'm also working on some concepts and the witchlight-centric options are given me tingles.

ManWithDoor

Character Creation

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:52 am

I'm fine with either! If you do Rolling, do so openly in Roll20 (4d6, keep the highest 3). Whichever method you prefer.

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Character Creation

Post by thehitcat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:49 am

Sorry this doesn't make sense to me "There are 2 Backgrounds you can see in the Library that are additional options at Character Creation: Witchlight Hand (you have a job at the Carnival), or Feylost (somewhat self-explanatory). There are also 2 additional Races as options - Fey and Harengon (getting strong Redwall vibes looking at the artwork)." Where is the Library? I didn't see it when I set up Roll20
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

ManWithDoor

Character Creation

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:29 am

Ah, sorry. The 'Journal' tab on the top-right. Where you can see a base character sheet and such to personalize. Scrolling down you should see the new Backgrounds and Races available for viewing.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Character Creation

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:40 am

Here's what I'm after. I've got a forest gnome Fighter, and for background I want something custom. I am after the Arcana skill, and Stealth as a bonus. So I made up the following background:

Sellsword's Apprentice
Skills: Pick Two that fit your mentor's instruction, or your role within the mercenary band (I'm after Stealth & Arcana)
Tools: one musical instrument or artisan's tools. (I am after fermenting/brewing)
Language: One of choice (the mentor will also have this language, having a similar background or having taught it to the apprentice)
Feature: Mercenary Life
Variant Feature: Shelter of the Faithful (must choose Religion from starting class or this background.)

Suggested Characteristics: use Mercenary Veteran background as the basis for traits and motivations. (If you chose the Variant Feature, the Acolyte background tables are also applicable.)

For brewing: some googling turned up a strand called "kveik", a unique strand of yeast from Norway that brews within 2-3 days if done right, flexible to higher temperatures without resulting in an off taste, and can be kept dry. I wanted to steal this for my character, who got the opportunity to learn to brew and culture kveik from a fellow from somewhere in the north of the setting we'll be adventuring in, a pseudo-Norway where we can say that this came from. Yes, so that my PC can brew batches of beer when we have downtime.

For Plot Hook
She started apprenticing under her older brother, who is an eldritch knight himself. To throw him out of the party dynamic if necessary, I thought that perhaps he could have left or disappeared. The carnival probably isn't in the business of kidnapping as punishment for sneaking in, so what if she was contacted by a Warlock offering to help her find her brother, if she takes his quest?

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Character Creation

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:33 pm

ManWithDoor wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:26 pm
It would be a bit deeper than that. You don't remember where your home is at all. You're seeking the memory of where that is, to recover it. It's possible you could walk through your home town and not recognize it.

But otherwise that sounds like a great idea!
I'll go with that then. I'm thinking her original family had a long history of producing famous adventurers and she's hoping to live up to that. I'll probably go with a halfling bard or maybe a human paladin.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Re: Character Creation

Post by Bohemond » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:24 pm

I was thinking for my character's "something lost" I was thinking they lost their heart. The character visited the carnival as a child and met a girl who figuratively (and literally) stole his heart, leaving a heart-shaped mark on his chest. He can't recall her race, appearance, or name, but is convinced he'd know her if they ever met again. When the carnival returned eight years later, he searched for her but could not find her. So he joined the carnival in an attempt to meet her again in his travels.

I was trying to figure some in-game mechanic to reflect this since there is supposed to be a curse of some sort. I was thinking maybe a disadvantage on certain checks, ie maybe Insight because he can't "listen to his heart" or something similar. Thoughts?