Extinction Curse - Chapter 1: Murder in the Center Ring

Come one, come all! Humble performers become leaders of the Circus of Wayward Wonders when tragedy strikes. But as these heroes lead their motley band of performers and roustabouts around the Isle of Kortos, they uncover a sinister plot to exterminate life from the Starstone Isle. The dead god Aroden may be gone, but his legacy lives on, as do his old enemies who would destroy the wonders he raised from the sea. Spectacle meets savagery as the heroes strive to stop the Extinction Curse!
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Extinction Curse - Chapter 1: Murder in the Center Ring

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:38 pm

Gorrick is hesitant to directly touch the charm, not knowing what sort of dangerous spell might be on it. He looks around for a staff or the like he can use to take the charm down without touching it. Once he succeeds in doing so, he will take it outside for Grong to look at.

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:26 pm

Grong takes the Charm and analyzes it. "There was some spell on the bear. It seems someone wants to cause damage to the circus - they want our show to fail. Probably the same who murdered our circus master. And they know magic! We need to keep our eyes open for trouble."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:41 pm

Gorrick nods. "Perhaps Mistress Dusklight of the Celestial Managerie is unhappy enough with us leaving her employ that she is willing to take extreme measures." He shakes his head. "All the more reason to have left I suppose."

He sits down and takes out his medical supplies and begins bandaging his wounds, while keeping one eye on Bardolph.
Medicine +6: Treat Wounds

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:59 am

Rats again? Leclerc thinks to himself. Do we know anyone with rats? Someone with a grudge?

"Change of plan.. Dwarven Throwers and the Kanibali's first, buy us some time to repair the damage.. Feather-Fall folks, you and I will try and repair your nets, but if we can't get it done in time, you know the show must go on! It would be a fitting tribute to Ringmaster Stendhal that you perform. It would make for a grand finale to honour his life!" Leclerc said in as rousing a voice as he could muster.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:32 am

Gorrick is able to treat his wounds wells enough. They are straight and clean lacerations. Bears may shit in the woods, but this one washes frequently and is free of flees and mites, so no extra worry about infection. It will take time to actually get back to full, but the man can go around without too much inconvenience.
Medicine Check: 12, Success.
Leclerc switches things around, still sending out the Dwarven Throwers but instead of a tightrope act accompanying them, the Flamboni Sisters take out flaming torches and begin juggling and throwing them to each other. The crowd goes wild as the two acts playfully interact. First a dwarf is catapulted between the sisters while the flames circle around him. Afterwards the throwers melodramatically pretend to be affronted by the other act, and start shooting themselves at the sisters while the run away in false panic - all the while continuing their juggling act.
I assume you meant the Flamboni Sisters go out now and do their fire juggling, since the Kanbali family is the Feather-Fall Five who are having the troubles with their nets.
Diplomacy Check: 12, Failure - Leclerc is not able to persuade them to perform without the net.
That doesn't mean someone else can't try, or other methods used to solve the issue.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:52 am

Leclerc looks around desperately looking for someone else to help persuade the Feather-Fall Five to perform.
Oops, yes, that's what I meant.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:15 pm

After he has finished bandaging his wounds and calming the agitated Ozo, Gorrick turns to Grong and asks deferentially, "Now that we know there is someone working wicked magic, I was wondering if you would be willing to search with me." He looks around, "We could search the woods at the perimeter of the camp for someone hiding there." He looks back at the tent. "Though I suppose they might also be hiding among the crowd. In disguise, if they are an agent of Mistress Dusklight."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:24 am

As the crowd is a lot closer than the environs, Gorrick and Grong look in the Circus. They see that Leclerc switched around the order so they don't see the expected Feather-Fall Five, but otherwise nothing is on fire.

Trying to find something amiss, the first thing they notice is a trio of mean-spirited gamblers moving through the crowd, loudly offering bets on various calamities. They provoke the crowd, asking questions that inspire fear or panic: Will one of the Feather-Fall Five fall to their death? What are the odds on each family member to die? Will Mordaine the Magician drown in the water tank? Will Mister Tickles eat someone? Will Grong the Great lose control and blast the crowd?

These gamblers are plainly bothering other members of the audience with their noisy jeers. Possibly worse(?) is that it makes it difficult to see anything more subtle that may be going on.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:53 pm

Gorrick looks over to Grong. "I don't know if those gamblers are connected with our troubles, but I don't think we want them working the crowd one way or another. If you would speak with them and tell them that we would like to speak with them privately, Ozo and I will back you up." He ruffles the fur on Ozo's head. "Unless the gamblers are more than they appear, I think they will find Ozo intimidating."

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:32 pm

Grong shrugs and then heads off to confront the gamblers. "Hey, you guys, can I get you a drink? So how come you think there might be all these accidents tonight? You're scaring the audience - some excitement and nervousness at the Feather Fall Five makes it interesting, of course. But your suggestions are somewhat exaggerated. So what say you?"