MYZ: The Zone

How did the world end? Some Stalkers and other braggarts say they know what happened. That a great plague swept the world and killed everyone. That the bosses of the Old Age fired their weapons of mass destruction at each other and drowned the world in flames. That the gods among the stars, the Ancients’ overlords, had enough of mankind’s hubris and decided to end it all in fire and brimstone. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s just lies and tall tales. The truth is, no one knows for sure. Except maybe the Elder. And he refuses to talk about it. We learned as children not to ask, he would curse and rave at us every time the subject came up. But I’ve heard him mumble in his sleep. He said that the Ancients ended themselves.
silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Re: MYZ: The Zone

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:05 am

Travelling for a short while to the west*, you come across what was once presumably a small bridge across the waterway. Lack of maintenance, seismic activity and age have taken their toll on the metal walkway however, making it a rather precariously positioned bridge.

The metal walkway sits at an angle of almost 45 degrees as the foundations of the bridge have been partly unearthed and several parts of the footbridge have corroded away, leaving the old walkway very patchy. The metal barriers and handrails are buckled and twisted in many places along its length. You can see several metal posts under the bridge have rusted away and in the shadow of the bridge, stone blocks stick out of the dark water as it flows underneath.

* Around 30 minutes walk from your starting point at the bank of the stream/creak.

Crossing the bridge would require a Move (AGILITY) skill check, unless you can come up with another idea.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:32 pm

"If ye will it so, I can be the first to cross," the fish man pipes up, volunteering first.

(I don't know what everyone else's Move dice are, but Mart is a can-do kind of guy.)

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:13 am

"Well I'm not going to stop you from taking the first try, my friend. Let's just be careful, and see how we can best support each other."
I've got 5 Dice (Agility 5, Move 0), so not bad. Question - can we 'Help' each other to a certain extent (page 48 in the Core Book)? Helping steady each other on the walk over, if there's a jump the person that already made it over could help catch the next person, that sort of thing.

Also, what would be the Engineering check to see if we could identify particularly dangerous sections (to be careful of), or perhaps reinforce things? Comprehend? Jury-Rig?
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:58 am

Yeah, you can Help as per the rules for doing so (need at least 1 in the relevant skill to be able to Help, which gives a +1 bonus die to whoever is making the roll to be helped... Alternatively, if you roll more Successes than needed, each additional success can be used as a +1 bonus for someone doing the same task as you - so more than 1 success with the Move roll can be converted into a +1 bonus die also - but there is a maximum of +3 die that can be given to any one character for a given roll.

For assessing the bridge for dangerous areas, I'd say it would be a Comprehend roll, with a success giving a +1 bonus die to any rolls for passing a particularly dangerous area. If you have any gear that will help, such as rope, you can use that to add Gear Die to the roll too.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:52 am

Kwine looks at the rickety path across the black stream. "We need to watch out for that patch there. If you look right below it, the water ripples more than normal," the gearhead says, pointing at the spot. "I wouldn't want to take a dip in the water in general, but given what the bridge is supposed to look like, there's probably some sharp edges right below the surface. And we don't want any of this stuff getting into a wound."
So, I made a roll. 1 success, but also 1 trauma. If I'm reading this right, I get a mutation point added but also a temporary -1 to my Wits.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:15 am

Kwine points out some areas of weakness on the bridge for the rest of the group, though Arkod seems indifferent to the advice, simply standing with his scaled arms folded across his chest. "After you then oh wise one." He mutters.
Everyone gets a +1 bonus Skill Die for any attempt to cross with the Move skill.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:32 am

"Yea. Nothing for it."

Mart makes good on his offer and walks over to the stone blocks beneath the decrepit old world bridge. He limbers up, makes a mental note of the stronger ripples, and takes his first step.
Move w/bonus: 4,5,2,5,1
Push: 5,2,5,2

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:38 am

Danny is their pathfinder for a reason. Well, he may have derped out on finding a perfect way through, but he's used to circumnavigating difficulty terrain, and easily moves across the bridge.
Agility 5, Move 0, Aid 1: 3,3,5,6,6,6 = 3 Successes.
- Got 2 more Successes than needed. Happy to use them to help others make it across.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:48 am

Arkod strides past Kwine, giving him a look of contempt as he passes, making the crossing without any difficulty. Danny crosses the bridge with ease and helps Kwine first, then notices Mart struggling a little as his foot gets stuck in a hole in the rusted floor of the bridge. It takes a little longer for them to cross than anticipated, but eventually all four mutants stand on the northern bank of the creek.

Mart takes 1 Agility damage for the '1' rolled after Pushing the roll. I used one of Danny's extra success to get Mart across without any additional problems.

The rest of the sector lies ahead of you, as barren and dull as the land you covered earlier in the day. Here and there you see crumbling stone walls covered in creeping vines and hardy clumps of tall grasses concealing the remains of small buildings from the world before. Rusted metal posts sprout from the ground sporadically, as if planted there by some great robot gardener. Some point to the sky, dozens of meters high, while others are just jagged stumps no taller than you. In the distance you can see these metal posts form a more defined pattern as they disappear off into the low fog that blankets the landscape.

I'll let Danny make anther roll to Find The Path.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:41 am

The same difficulties that Danny had entering this region are still plaguing him. Yes he can tell that farther ahead the rusted metal poles are getting more organized, so that's a good direction to go hoping to find anything interesting. But beyond that, he hasn't got a clue.
Well, it's official. The dice hate me whenever I'm doing anything related to my actual specialty. :D
8 Dice = 1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4. 0 Successes.