IC - Session One - The Assembly

How did the world end? Some Stalkers and other braggarts say they know what happened. That a great plague swept the world and killed everyone. That the bosses of the Old Age fired their weapons of mass destruction at each other and drowned the world in flames. That the gods among the stars, the Ancients’ overlords, had enough of mankind’s hubris and decided to end it all in fire and brimstone. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s just lies and tall tales. The truth is, no one knows for sure. Except maybe the Elder. And he refuses to talk about it. We learned as children not to ask, he would curse and rave at us every time the subject came up. But I’ve heard him mumble in his sleep. He said that the Ancients ended themselves.
silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

IC - Session One - The Assembly

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:31 am

It is early Spring and most of the Ark's 199 inhabitants have gathered near the well for an Assembly. Precious little food remains and the People are starving, something that the Elder has warned of for a while now. The harsh winter has meant most of the stored food has been used and there is a growing tension in the Ark as people turn on each other over scraps of food, nobody wants to starve to death after all.

Everyone gets a chance to speak at the Assembly, though most are content just to listen to the other more vocal members of the Ark and raise their hands at the vote held at the end of the gathering. The Elder doesn't make an appearance, but everyone knows they are listening and likely have sponsored someone to speak on their behalf, one of the Bosses usually.

The gearhead Jeth speaks up, telling the People they need a workshop or generator to help with is goal of building a steam car to travel out into the Zone and find other Arks. Boss Nazin tells the People that the Ark needs defending from outside enemies, putting forward the idea of building a watchtower and forming a militia.

However, several others, including Vesalle the chronicler and Sonya, another boss of the Ark, agree with Danny, Kwine and Mart that food being so scarce in the Ark, that a Hunting Party needs to be sent out into the Zone to gather some fresh food to replenish the depleted stocks.

After everyone has been given their time to speak, the whole of the Ark votes and it is decided, a Hunting Party is to be formed.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Re: IC - Session One - The Assembly

Post by Bohemond » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:49 am

Kwine breathes a sigh of relief. The assembly went pretty well and no fights broke out. Maybe we'll actually be alive long enough to say 'good thing we prepared for the winter' once it comes back again, the Gearhead thinks to himself. He was pleased that Jeth's ridiculous plan had been swatted down; less so that Nazin's was. Kwine didn't agree with him, but didn't like the idea of Boss with a bruised ego, especially when they're already turning their gang into a de facto army. He nods to Vesalle and Sonya if they make eye contact with him. He walks up to Danny and Mart as people start to mill around aimlessly, no one if there's a proper way to end the assembly or if they just go back to their homes.

"So, y'all think we'll be able to get these hunting parties up and running? 'Cuz I was thinking about saying it all Danny's idea if it doesn't pan out," Kwine jokes, briefly smiling before becoming self-aware of his sharp teeth and quickly closing his lips to hide them.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:05 am

Mart was mostly silent through the moot, standing and speaking after the Chronicler ushered all to speak and a bolder, more spirited thrall opened his mouth first. Mart told it like it was: indeed, as his fellow bondsman put it (albeit more direly illustrated), food is too low, so food must be got. Once everyone can get a square meal, the true work might begin, if the Ark wish it. He is ready to do as the Bosses command - hunt, haul, fish, or gather dung. (as soon as he uttered that last one, he believed he might regret it.)

The fish man turns and blinks lidlessly at Kwine. "If it come to that, pray tell Boss Nazin that I filled your heads up with rubbish. Better that lot be mine own and not the craftsman, or the scout." He smiles briefly. "I hope truly that it will bear out."

Mart relishes these casual conversations, which allow him to flex his preferred articulation, when otherwise being more laconic, and if pressured, speak straight.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 03, 2022 5:34 am

Danny sticks his tongue out at Kwine, then laughs. "I get to be the fall-guy, eh? Well, I can live with that. Mainly because I can run away into the wilderness and survive until things quiet back down." His laughter dies, as the situation is actually rather dire. "I guess that used to be true. But if I lived off the land for a few weeks until anger cooled, everyone might be starving this time instead of just no longer angry." A sobering thought.

"Regardless, if we're heading out on a hunting expedition, I'd rather do it with you two than anyone else." He genuinely likes Kwine and Mart, even if they don't always have a lot in common.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Wed May 04, 2022 2:05 pm

"Hopefully, we'll be able to set up snares or traps, so we can get a consistent supply of food," Kwine says as he strokes his chin absentmindedly. "It also doesn't hurt that we got a read on what some of the others are focusing on. Nazin wants a fortress, no surprise. And that fool Jeth wants his car." Kwine makes no attempt to hide his disdain for the rival gearhead. "However, if we play it right, we might be able to pick up their support in future projects. Any way to avoid wasting time bickering means more lives saved."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed May 04, 2022 8:59 pm

"A fortress is a prospect mighty to our present means." Mart's eyes twinkle at the image of the finished project Nazin wants to get started. "But next, palisades mayhaps be a step toward. The scouts can say which areas to avoid cutting timber, to preserve game and avoid traps. Kwine, what projects didst thou have in mind?"

(Hmm, I'll probably start throwing in a little more thou-speak to make it more distinct.)

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri May 06, 2022 8:55 am

One of the Ark’s bosses, Sonya hangs around after the assembly, slowly moving closer towards Danny while he is still with Mart and Kwine. She nods, then smiles at Danny, her amber eyes bright and almost hypnotic.

“Danny, how are you?” She asks, her voice soft and full of concern. “I think this is a good idea, the People need this. I think you should be the one to lead this hunting trip… Kwine and Mart would be a great asset to the party too.” She says, glancing at the others and gracing them with a smile also.

A couple of her enforcers hang back, just far enough away to remain unthreatening to the trio, but close enough to be in their faces if needed. The others in the Ark are still milling around, but most have gone to check the stores to see if there is anything else that can be turned into food, or to check on their own personal belongings.

“I would ask a favour, if you would all be so kind as to oblige?” Her natural charm comes to the fore in the tone of her voice and her body language. She waits for signs of agreement before continuing. “I would truly appreciate it if you brought examples of any old tech to me, anything at all would be of value… I would make it worth your while if you brought anything to me before telling the Chroniclers of the Dawn Vault about it.”

"I can make sure you three are the first chosen to head out, though I think we might need another body in the party - I'll make sure it's someone useful."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat May 07, 2022 8:18 am

Mart focuses on Sonya, spellbound by her natural charm - is it indeed natural, though? If he has the presence of mind to wonder about that, it does not show. Once she's finished her request, he nods as though it were an order given. "Yes, boss."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon May 09, 2022 5:34 pm

Danny is a bit more resistant to charms, but he isn't immune. Philosophically he thinks that Tech belongs to the Vault, not to individuals with their own agendas. But that's hard to remember when Sonya is talking directly to him. He coughs awkwardly, running his fingers through his thin hair. "With Kwine and Mart having my back, I'm sure we'll be successful. Reliable, skilled, tough. We won't disappoint." He blushes a bit and clears his throat. "I'll see what I can do about Tech we find in the field. We might get unlucky and not see anything more complicated than some frayed metal wires. So might not be relevant this time around. Don't want to get your hopes up unnecessarily."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:29 am

A short while later, one of the Chroniclers, Em, comes to the trio, closely followed by Arkod, one of Boss Nazin’s enforcers.

“Kwine, Danny and Mart, you have been elected to form a hunting party, along with Arkod here. He will ensure nothing untoward befalls the party while you are searching for food.” The robed woman says. For their part, the reptilian looking enforcer simply stands, towering over the chronicler, an unreadable expression on their scaled and scarred face.

“You’d best make sure you are all ready to leave within the hour.” Em says.