MYZ: Ark OOC Discussion

OOC forum for Mutant Year Zero
silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:04 am

I've added a map to the Roll20 game, if you head over there, you should be able to see it.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:26 am

So, next we need to decide where on the map the Ark is located - ideally not too close to one of the map edges, but not necessarily bang in the middle of the map.

Anyone have any preference? If not, I'll put it somewhere.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:57 am

My preference would be for square O-6. It has a protected inlet and is next to the river.

-It provides a fresh source of water.
-It's near enough to the edge of the map and the coastline that we can explore/secure one side and then focus are further explorations in the opposite direction.
-Being near a river gives us access to certain projects (ship, water wheel, etc.)
-Our boy Mart can get his Amphib on
-The river can mean easier transport/exploration. One of the jury riggable items is a raft; if things go south for us while exploring near a river, we can at least get back to the Ark.
-Flavor-wise, it makes since that a rig/refinery would be near a natural transportation hub.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:12 am

From the book it generally recommends keeping the Ark on the periphery, as the 'center' of the Map tends to be intended for the most dangerous / irradiated areas. But of course that will matter significantly by how the GM is setting things up behind-the-scenes.

O-6 is good, or P-5/P-6 if we want to be even closer to the periphery. I like all of Bohemond's logic for why this is a good area to set up.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:10 am

Well, it's 2/3 for O-6. I think that's a good spot, but I'm eyeing that pre-war road that passes by in N-6. Possible for us to start with a dirt/gravel road that connects to N-6?

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:41 am

Okay, so if we say O-6 for the Ark? Then as mentioned, it is nicely placed for a few different reasons.

Next, we need to decide on the Development Levels (DEV) of the Ark. There are four 'stats' for this, Food, Culture, Technology and Warfare. (Page 100-102.) You have 12 points to put into these at the start of the game, which might not seem like much, but well, it's not much, but that's all you've got.

Le me know what you guys think. As a summary, less than 10 means you're extremely limited in that particular area, with a Food of <10 meaning you're on the verge of starvation as an Ark.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:45 am

Ah, heh. So basically if we want a balanced/competent start, chances are we're going to be "on the verge of X" in pretty much every category. I'll think about it.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:20 pm

The others have been concerned about Food. That's immediate. The rest are going to be long-term goals. Warfare is going to be 2nd highest because it deals directly with immediate threats, the 2nd rung below hunger in the categories of things that want us dead.

Food 5, War 3, Tech 2, Culture 2

We should be able to get Food up quickly if we can convince the bosses to oversee fishing nets to be built, and mark rich hunting spots in the Zone. Besides being pushed to get get catch more fish and clams (maybe the odd pearl could be worth something?), Mart's just muscle for any and all projects. Anywhere along the river would be a prime spot to check, but of course dangerous as we could meet a mutated bear fishing in the creek.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:26 am

I'm fine with going a balanced approach. I also agree that Food is the Priority. It has a direct effect on the Ark's population that the others don't. Every 10 in Food reduces the population loss per Session (maxes at 30 for -3 population loss).

I know this is jumping the gun a little, but I think our first Project should be "Hunting Party". Has a low number of Work Points to complete, and we have the relevant Skills.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Re: MYZ: Ark OOC Discussion

Post by Bohemond » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:12 am

I generally agree with Rory and MWD on this. Here's what I see with regards to DEV:

Food Supply - The higher this amount is, the more we can reduce/negate the body count rolled every session. Also, buying grub becomes cheaper.

Warfare - Protects us against the potential for occasional, large-scale loss of residents and the possible destruction of complete projects.

Technology - Increasing this is necessary to give us access to more advanced projects, and some of the tech-based projects offer direct in-game benefits (reduced body count, widespread access to gear, etc.) Also needed for avoiding Comprehend rolls to use artifacts.

Culture - Also necessary to unlock advanced projects, and has a lot of in-play potential (having a bank where you can store things without them getting stolen while you're exploring for example). Also important for reducing Comprehend roles.

I agree with pursuing the Hunting Parties project first, as it adds 2D6 to Food Supply while only requiring a total of three successes with Endure or Shoot rolls. Should we also consider starting a 2nd project as well?