MYZ: Ark OOC Discussion

OOC forum for Mutant Year Zero
silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:31 pm

We need to determine some details about your Ark - the home of the People - such as location, type, development levels etc...

First on the list is, what is the Ark and what does it look like.. There are a few suggestions on page 98 of the core book.

Airplane Wreck
Bridge
Farm
Gated Community
Junkyard
Mall
Oil Rig
Prison
Scrap Village
Shelter
Shipwreck
Skyscraper
Small Island
Subway Station
Trailer Park

Let me know if anyone has a preference, or I can just use one at random.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:46 pm

I did not know we would be getting into a game designed to be harsh in environmental survivability, so an easier start would be nice. Preferably mainland. A shipwreck looks desirable for my character to have an opportunity to exercise his Mutation, but I think I would prefer a land oil rig. That could give us a fuel advantage early on, more than a crashed airliner or ship. We could potentially drill for years and trade it for food and water if we need it. It also provides that same source as a rudimentary fuel to power any innovations, if the Gearhead is serious about tech advancements. I think that's worth making ourselves a target.

I want the oil rig.

If you pick a subway station, I could change my name to Artyom and be mute the entire way through...

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:04 am

Regardless of the Location, we work on determining how many points we put into Food Supply, Technology, Culture, and Defense. So it's abstracted. If we go to an Oil Rig, we'd likely say low Food Supply/Culture, but high Technology and/or Defense. Which I'm fine with, we just need to prioritize feeding our people since we lose many people every 'Session' from starvation.

I like the Oil Rig idea. Definitely a place that people would want to hold to try to survive the apocalypse.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:28 am

Projects are what you would need for that RorytheRomuan, but certainly in time you could unlock the potential of the Ark.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:22 pm

My concern with the oil rig is how rudimentary our technology may be. According to one of the flavor text excerpts, the Armageddon happened even before the Elder was born. So we're not talking about a zombie movie, where it's only been a few weeks/months. We're talking about possibly centuries of time. Building a steam engine to power the rig is a mid-to-upper level project. My concern is that we'd be focusing our Ark around a resource that we don't have the technology or manufacturing base to get much use out of.

I think we should focus on having some sort of reliable water source. I was initially going to propose an abandoned camping grounds/wilderness lodge preferably next to a large body of water. I concur that we need to develop our food supply, because the session body count is a constant population drain that we need to mitigate ASAP.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:16 pm

There's not so much of an impact on resources etc depending on the type of Ark, I think it's more of an image thing more than anything else.. You get to put a number of Development points into it at the beginning then choose different projects to undertake as a people.. It's really from then on that you get to vote/decide on different things to develop.. Finding different Artefacts out in the Zone helps with development too as does finding NPCs willing to help,

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:26 am

Alright, well, aesthetically an oil rig looks like a desirable place to be. I guess what we put points into can a factor for its placement, like on the shore or near a lake or river.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:52 am

I'm working on a map to use, we can decide on the specific location of your Ark soon.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:37 am

So, I was looking up living quarters for land oil sites. It looks like it's mostly stackable trailers and the like. However, depending on where we are and how the landscape may have changed, there could feasibly be resources for building new structures and retrofitting new structures for residential living.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:47 am

I'm thinking that as a Stalker I'd live more on the periphery of the Ark. Maybe an overturned empty fuel tank? Oh, or better yet a rusted out crane that I've build the equivalent of a tree-house in. So I've got a bit of an aerial view of our surroundings.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."