Coriolis IC: THROUGH THE DARKNESS

Zenith heralded the dawn of a new era – and the Horizon blossomed once again. Three dozen star systems, linked by fate and by the will of the Icons, wandered together towards a brighter future. But as the Emissaries arrived, the happy days drew to a close, and the Dark between the Stars slowly came creeping back.
silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Re: Coriolis IC: THROUGH THE DARKNESS

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:54 am

Best estimate puts the Orun II around two hours out of the asteroid field, with the old fashioned hauler being drawn slowly towards the swirling mass of debris.

Zaynab takes the ship closer, to within range where you can see the whole of the Orun II with the naked eye and makes a cautious pass of the bulk hauler.

As you pass the stern of the ship, a light flashes out a sequence of short bursts from one of the small windows, but after a few seconds stops, leaving the interior of the rear of the vessel in pitch black darkness once more. Keeping an eye on that section of the ship as your vessel passes, you note that there are no further signs of activity.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:07 pm

Zaynab watches the flickering lights closely, "Could that be some sort of code--a distress signal?" She searches her memory for anything code system that might fit with what she is seeing.
Empathy 3 + Culture 1 (I couldn't find a skill that fit better): https://orokos.com/roll/965084: 4#1d6: 4 # 5 [1d6=5] 2 [1d6=2] 1 [1d6=1] 5 [1d6=5]. If there's someone with a better score, they should try making a roll.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:55 am

Amir looks puzzled and shrugs as well. "Maybe it was one, but I don't know it off-hand. Although maybe it was just a general attempt at flashing a light that looked like a pattern to our eyes, but wasn't intended.
Thought of trying Science: 1,1,2,2,2 = 0 Successes. So nope, no idea.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:57 pm

If no one succeeds, the PC with the highest score can reroll in return for a Dark Between the Stars point.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:04 am

"It's an old code, but it checks out." Says Iskandir, " I don't know the origins, but the flashing lights spell out letters... S.O.S - or at least it would have been if they'd have finished the sequence.

"I'd say we need to dock as soon as possible and see if we can get the power back on." He adds.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:36 pm

Zaynab nods and begins maneuvering to dock. As she does so, she says, "I want to save those people--but let's remember the warning the Icons gave us. Something must be badly amiss here--especially if their distress signal was cut off part way through."
Docking: Agility 5 + Pilot 3: https://orokos.com/roll/965325: 8#1d6: 8 # 1 [1d6=1] 5 [1d6=5] 3 [1d6=3] 6 [1d6=6] 5 [1d6=5] 3 [1d6=3] 4 [1d6=4] 1 [1d6=1]: 1 success.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:09 pm

Basil nods with a grunt and gives up on staring out the window.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:51 am

"Heading down to airlock now, Captain," Fayz says matter-of-factly. As ship security and the only one with medical training, it made since for him to be in the entry team. He figured Basil and possibly Amir would be going him, at least as the first wave. Their motley crew just filled out the functions of their own ship, at some point everyone would need to get a lookover of the derelict vessel's working if they hoped to fix it. The Firstcomer immediately begins to put on an exo-suit. "Cap, do you want me to bring my carbine for the entry?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:07 pm

Zaynab says to Fayz, "I hate to say this, but you probably should. Something cut off completing their emergency signal. It's likely just to be a medical crisis. But it could be something less pleasant."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:47 am

Looking at the ship as you make a pass, you notice that the airlocks at the bow of the ship (see blueprints) have been disabled in some way and you would need to spacewalk to the Orun II if you chose that end of the vessel. The airlocks at the stern of the ship however, seem to be operational.

Mister Kembouri begins to ready himself to board the freighter, saying that as a representative of the company, Melem Gesurra, he will be accompanying the group on their mission.