OOC: General Coriolis Chatter

OOC Forum for the Coriolis game
Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Re: OOC: General Coriolis Chatter

Post by Bohemond » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:46 pm

-Related to the Culture discussion, what is our Manipulation capability looking like? I figure that's the other part of the free traders aspect.

-For equipment, I spent my 500 on 2 sets of clothing ('cuz you need to something to wear on laundry day), a talisman, reloads, and drugs. Everything a growing soldier needs.

-I call dibs on the crew compartment at the far right.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:00 pm

Bohemond wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:46 pm
-Related to the Culture discussion, what is our Manipulation capability looking like? I figure that's the other part of the free traders aspect.
Excellent question. From what I can tell, our crew's Spy (MWD) is the only one that seems to possess Manipulation as a starting skill. Taking this into consideration, I'm wondering if perhaps it might make more sense to select a Negotiator (Peddler) as my Concept instead of a Scientist (Archaeologist). My reasoning behind this potential switch is that while the Scientist (Archaeologist) thematically fits in a Free Trader crew specializing in the Artifact trade, the bottom line is that we're trying to make a profit first and foremost, which is why I think it's a safer bet to have as many characters in our Crew as possible that can help maximize our gains in this business venture.

That being said, it would mean exchanging Science/Survival for Manipulation/Pilot (Archaeologist and Peddler both share Culture/Observation), but I think this tradeoff could work in our favor since not only would we have two characters who excel at Manipulation, but also someone who could act as co-pilot to our crew's Pilot (Muskrat) as well.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:22 pm

I can see the arguments both ways. Which character do you want to play more?

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:20 am

Yeah, pick the build that looks more fun for you.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:01 am

RorytheRomulan wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:20 am
Yeah, pick the build that looks more fun for you.

Also, Muskrat

I can see the arguments both ways. Which character do you want to play more?

Exactly these two...

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:09 am

Alright then, Negotiator it is. Admittedly I'm not accustomed to playing "Face" type characters, but I don't think it'll prove too difficult adapting to this new role, plus I feel like I could do with a new play style that differs from the archetypes I normally tend to gravitate towards in RPGs.

As for the rest of the character creation process, I've managed to pick out a Name, Origin (Zenithian), Upbringing (Privileged), and Stats (Mostly. I'm still contemplating whether to invest five points in one of the four Attributes [Wits or Empathy specifically] or split it evenly. I'm similarly undecided when it comes to Skills as well [Culture or Manipulation]) . The other steps haven't been properly covered yet, though I believe I have a solid enough grasp on which Talents and pieces of starting Equipment I'll be selecting, and I have a rough idea in mind for Appearance and Background. Finally, I'll get started on PC Relationships as soon as the Background for my character is fleshed out further.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:03 am

No worries @Hermit, if you need any help, or want to double check or get opinions on something, just post here.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:01 pm

The attributes points for Coriolis seem to work different from Mutant. They make up your Mind Points & Health Points, and you can lose those instead as per usual rpg mechanics. We have a gunner and a melee charger, so don't feel like you have to build someone who can take a hit. To me it looks like a character with 8 Mind is slightly off balance with his physical stats, and 9 Mind is very specialized. Our gunner & charger would make up for what yours lacks in physical stats, if you wanna do it.

Frankly my character could probably drop 1 Emp and put it in Strength to better fill his role and reflect his background. In fact I think I might just do that.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:37 am

If I'm not mistaken, a Negotiator can raise their Empathy to a 5, but not their Wits. In addition to the class skills, it might be worth it to take 1 rank in Command, which would help in ship combat, and can be used to restore lost Mental Points. I wouldn't worry too much about combat, considering the group is pretty stacked for both melee and ranged combat.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:23 am

Bohemond wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:37 am
If I'm not mistaken, a Negotiator can raise their Empathy to a 5, but not their Wits. In addition to the class skills, it might be worth it to take 1 rank in Command, which would help in ship combat, and can be used to restore lost Mental Points. I wouldn't worry too much about combat, considering the group is pretty stacked for both melee and ranged combat.

You're absolutely right. Somehow I completely forgot about that particular detail despite having read all of that stuff multiple times now. How careless of me, heh. Regarding skills, I wasn't really planning on investing in anything combat-related (at least not this early on anyway) so no worries there, however I'll definitely be taking that bit of advice about Command into consideration.

Back to the topic of Attribute Points allocation, for the sake of clarification the dilemma I currently have is deciding whether to:

A) Assign the maximum amount of points in Empathy, four in Wits, and two for both Strength and Agility

or

B) Assign four points in Empathy, four in Wits, three in Agility, and two in Strength

The reason for option B in case you're wondering is since Piloting is one of the Peddler's concept skills, I thought it might be prudent to raise my Agility in order to gain as much of an advantage from that skill as possible. That, and I don't think it would hurt to have a co-pilot that would be reasonably capable enough to take over flying the ship in the event that our crew's Pilot is, for whatever reason, unable to do so herself.