TOR2: The Tale of Fargrim Cragfury

It is the year 2965 of the Third Age and the Shadow is returning. Twenty-four years ago, an alliance of Elves, Men, and Dwarves defeated a horde of Orcs and Wild Wolves, under a sky darkened by Giant Bats, inaugurating a new era of prosperity for the Free Peoples. But two decades is a long time for peace to last, and in many dark corners of the earth a shadow is lengthening once again.

Rumours of strange things happening outside the borders of civilised lands are spreading with increasing regularity and, while they are dismissed by most as fireside-tales and children’s stories, they sometimes reach the ears of individuals who recognise the sinister truth they hide.

These are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers and, when they prevail, they hail them as heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names.

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:13 pm

This is the story of Fargrim Cragfury.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:34 pm

The origins of Fargrim are not worthy of song. At least not yet, not that he would see it that way. He grew as all dwarves beneath the Blue Mountain do, learning the ways and feelings of his elder kin, and took up the craft of a stoneworker. Not of the miners, who delve into unseen depths and prize precious stones from the earth's grasp; rather, Fargrim's chosen lot was to turn the newly opened spaces into livable rooms and roads fit and worthy for defending. And of course, he honed his body and reflexes for defense of home and hearth.

At the age of ninety-three, Fargrim married the she-dwarf known as Nanain, who bore him two sons, Thrimir and Grimir. They had happiness for a brief window of time, by dwarf reckoning. Eight years ago, Nanain came to visit one day while Fargrim and his team were working on a new room, when a mob of orcs ambushed them. In the chaos, a loose pillar toppled and fell upon Fargrim's beloved, killing her.

The family have grieved and found their strength, with Thrimir and Grimir going on to apprentice in the way of mining to stick together, but their father took Nanain's loss very hard. To this day, he treats any encounter with orcs as an opportunity to exact his vengeance, and continues to carry an empty glass vial that once contained the fragrance that his late wife used to wear.
Fleshed it out some more. Had to swap personality "Wary" for "Wilful" to match this guy's tone. I thought about making him "Fierce", but currently that's just the grief. Proud is baseline and informs his actions and attitude.

I chose orcs to mirror Fargrim's Enemy Lore, but I'm fine with changing it to goblins, if they are distinct enough mechanically to merit the change. And if you would rather set his homeland all the way in Erebor, I'm fine with that too.

I also misread "Axes OR Swords" and the "choose one" for combat proficiencies. I decided to swap my Swords rank for Bows for some synergy with the party.