TOR2: T'was the Eve of Midsummer

It is the year 2965 of the Third Age and the Shadow is returning. Twenty-four years ago, an alliance of Elves, Men, and Dwarves defeated a horde of Orcs and Wild Wolves, under a sky darkened by Giant Bats, inaugurating a new era of prosperity for the Free Peoples. But two decades is a long time for peace to last, and in many dark corners of the earth a shadow is lengthening once again.

Rumours of strange things happening outside the borders of civilised lands are spreading with increasing regularity and, while they are dismissed by most as fireside-tales and children’s stories, they sometimes reach the ears of individuals who recognise the sinister truth they hide.

These are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers and, when they prevail, they hail them as heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names.

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: TOR2: T'was the Eve of Midsummer

Post by Muskrat » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:44 pm

Vidar smiles and says, "I am not one for taking part in contests, much to my father's chagrin. Hugh, why don't you show me around and help me make some new acquaintances and trade partners?"

Jon
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Netrunner

Post by Jon » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:03 am

After the end of Mister Butterbur’s announcement, Periwinkle seems to have forgotten her shyness and claps her hands in delight.
“Oi, he won!”
She tugs at Ragnarr’s sleeve.
“He won! I was here two years ago when Mister Adelard was the runner up. Last year I could’t be here, sadly, and then he went and won! Can you believe it?”
She scans the crowd as it begins to rise up and slowly move out the door towards the Green outside.
“I must go congratulate him. And maybe I’ll see Mister Bilbo somewhere here too. Did you say you saw him before, talking to those rangers?”
Periwinkle jumps off her tall chair, then turns around and winks.
“I’ll catch you two later, I must talk to Mister Adelard before the contest starts, because when it does, we'll be competitors.”
She pats a pocket on the front of her apron where a long pipe-stem protrudes.
“This year I’ll join in too.”

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:12 am

Ragnarr finishes his meal and prepares to leave with the rest of the patrons. Hearing about the Smoke Ring competition, the Barding decides to partake in the contest. Before he does, he makes sure to turn to Periwinkle, who is never still for very long. "Make sure to stop by my wife's booth sometime today. She'll be sure to have something sweet to give you, and she is quite fond of you."

Jon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jon » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:19 am

Periwinkle waves at Ragnarr as she disappears among the legs of the big folk.
"Don't you worry, not even a pack of wolves would keep me away from Ulfhild and her confectionery."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:08 am

Targon smiles at his flighty companion, wishing her luck. He also waves at Ragnarr, who goes to join the competition. He goes and politely clears his plate and drink, no longer in the mood for seconds.

As he starts walking to the exit, he is surprised by being approached by so famous a personage. "Lady Gilraen," he says in response to her introduction, "I am at your disposal right now, if you please. If you prefer to meet later this evening, I will search you out then. And I am obviously not hard to find either." He bows in deference to her.
Can meet with her now. If not, I'll go to the Competition, but just to watch, not participate.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:34 am

"After the festivities are passed, when the Green is clearing, seek me out and we will talk. In the meantime, enjoy what folk have to offer, talk and learn of the happenings around Bree." She says softly, before she and her companions join those heading to the Green.

Jugglers and tumblers vie for folk's attention, while stalls bearing fresh produce sit between woodcarvers, jewellers and blacksmiths stalls, complete with anvils and smoking temporary forges. Ale, wine and other drink is available all for a small price and visitors talk happily with old friends and strangers alike.

If anyone wants to talk and gather gossip from the festival, before the Smoke Ring contest starts (in early afternoon), roll on either Courtesy, Riddle or Song

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:09 pm

After putting his name and Hugh's down for the contest, Fargrim hangs around to listen for a while, and prod with a question or two toward the forces of Evil. The gossipers mistake his interest for local mundane troubles; cow rustling, highway robbery or the like. Being a straight talker, when he makes it plain for them, the oldest among them gives him a funny look.
"Evil? There's been no bogeymen of the sort in these lands afore I was a suckling, master dwarf."

Giving up, Fargrim hence departs to catch up with Vidar at the merchant stalls.
Riddle: 13 vs TN 14, failed.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:38 pm

Vidar travels among the market stalls, talking to both the merchants and their customers--indeed, to almost anyone willing to engage him. In part, he is looking for opportunities to trade. But he is also seeking to gather any news he can, good or bad, from local events to rumors from far afield in Eriador.
Courtesy (Favored) 2 + Useful Item: Heirloom Jeweled Arm Rings: https://orokos.com/roll/974502
2d12k1: 8 [2d12k1=[8], 2]
3d6: 5 [3d6=2, 1, 2]
Total: 13.

Jon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jon » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:47 pm

“What a pompous ass,” Periwinkle mutters as she with sure hands and feet climbs up on the barstool and seats herself beside Targon. She makes a face and continues in a high-pitched snooty voice; “don’t bother to participate, whipster you, and leave it to the grownups.”
She looks up in the face of the solemn ranger.
“Grownups! Can you believe? He’s six years my senior, that addlepated jobbernowl Adelard. Six years, and hardly, hardly, a grownup, the way he’s acting.”
Periwinkle sighs and fishes up her pipe and a piece of cloth and starts polishing it.
“A smoke ring contest should be a thing of jest and fun, don’t you agree? Usually I wouldn’t care if I place first or last, but now my highest wish is to win against that muttonhead just to wipe that smug smile off his face, and of those silly friends of his.”
She eyes her long-stemmed clay pipe critically, turning it in her hand, before starting polishing it again, now with less fervour.
“I just want to show Mister Bilbo I’m not as behindhand as he thinks. My smoke rings has improved a lot the last year, you know.”
Periwinkle looks up at Targon once again, her annoyed face now turning into a smile. She winks and nods towards the door.
“Want to come watch me lose to an ass?”
Last edited by Jon on Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jon » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:47 pm

Periwinkle chatted and listened to other people in the tavern before finding Adelard and his friends
Rolled Riddle against TN14
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 6t,1,3
Totaling: 15 with 1 success