TOR2: T'was the Eve of Midsummer

It is the year 2965 of the Third Age and the Shadow is returning. Twenty-four years ago, an alliance of Elves, Men, and Dwarves defeated a horde of Orcs and Wild Wolves, under a sky darkened by Giant Bats, inaugurating a new era of prosperity for the Free Peoples. But two decades is a long time for peace to last, and in many dark corners of the earth a shadow is lengthening once again.

Rumours of strange things happening outside the borders of civilised lands are spreading with increasing regularity and, while they are dismissed by most as fireside-tales and children’s stories, they sometimes reach the ears of individuals who recognise the sinister truth they hide.

These are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers and, when they prevail, they hail them as heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names.

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: TOR2: T'was the Eve of Midsummer

Post by Wbweather » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:16 pm

Hugh is ecstatic that he finally will be going on an adventure. He has been preparing for this for some time now and in just a few minutes he has grabbed a pack he had been readying for just such a moment as this.

He knew that the rumor about the butchered livestock was a big deal. No, he wasn’t going to contend with a dragon, but this was more exciting that sitting around in Bree and hearing other folk’s tales of adventure.

He Rushed back to regroup with the others.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:10 pm

Fargrim beams at the host. "Most gracious, an ale to go sounds lovely. I would look forward to returning here in the future! A few of those tricorn sweetbreads would top me off. I believe they are called 'scones'?"

Jon
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Netrunner

Post by Jon » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:07 pm

Periwinkle jumps down from the table, almost stumbling with eagerness to comply as she hits the floor. Her ears are very red.
“Yes, mister Barnabas, I am very sorry. The lads at the Green Dragon always…”
She stares down at her feet, which she notices are indeed not clean enough to put on tables.
“I mean, I won’t do it again, sir.”
She takes a deep breath and turns towards the company.
“Master Fargrim, gentlemen. I’ve been travelling the Shire and Bree-lands since I was a wee girl, so I know my way around, by paths both seen and unseen. I assure you, if you trust me to guide you, I will take you there. Wherever there might be.”
Periwinkle’s pleading eyes take on a defiant glint.
“I promised mister Bilbo I would help you the best I could, and I will. Please let me help.”

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:27 pm

"Well, it appears you lot can't leave Peri behind, otherwise you'd make her a liar," Ragnarr says, finally shaking out the remaining fogginess in his head. "Which means I'll have to come along, to make sure she gets there safe and sound. Another fine mess I've been dragged into," the Barding says, a quick wink to Periwnkle and an easy smile betraying the gruffness in his voice.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:15 pm

Targon stays slightly aloof of the conversation. Not avoiding it entirely, as he is fine with answering questions or giving advice when it is sought, but otherwise saying little and letting the others make plans and get ready for the journey.

As a professional traveler himself, all he will have to do is refresh his traveling rations ... and that's it. No shop to close up or hand over to others, no family to say goodbye too, no neighbors to notify. Just shoulder his pack, pick a direction, and start walking.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:44 pm

Vidar says to Periwinkle, "I'd be happy to have you as a guide in Breeland." He thinks to himself that this will be a good chance to test Hugh to see how he handles himself in strange situations without getting the lad into anything too perilous. And perhaps Periwinkle too--the lass seemed to have more than a bit of wanderlust in her soul.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:14 pm

"Hrm. Master Bilbo, you say. Well, it's settled. The six of us shall meet outside the inn at mid-morning." He looks across at Periwinkle again. "I didn't spy you at the inn last night. We can procure a room for you for tonight, if you would like."

Jon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jon » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:38 am

Periwinkle makes a deep curtsy.
”Thank you, master Fargrim, but there’s no need to procure accommodations, the haymow above the stable is fine by me.”
Her eyes darts towards the kitchen area.
“But some of mister Butterbur’s glaced wild hog ribs and turnip mash on the other hand…”

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:12 pm

“Tomorrow then, and between Peri and myself, I dare say we should know our way there.”

Looking at the hobbit lass, he thought to himself that it seemed odd that they had never met before. He had of course seen here around Bree. She was well spoken of by those who knew her, but as far as he could recall, he had never spoken directly to her. Well, that needed to change. Waiting until he has a moment where he can approach her alone, he greets her, “Miss Proudfoot, I’m not certain I have ever had the pleasure of making your acquaintance. You probably have seen me around. If you don’t know, I’m Hugh Weatherborough. Good to have someone local to travel with.”

Jon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jon » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:33 pm

"Delighted to finally make your acquaintance, Hugh Weatherborough," Periwinkle says and beams a smile at the handsome young man.
"We seem to have never crossed paths, though I've certainly heard of you. Mostly from your sisters who," she raises an eyebrow conspiratorially, "definitely thinks it's about time you settled down and found a wife, instead of running around looking for adventure."
Periwinkle laughs and shrugs.
"If you ask me, I don't agree with them. But most people tend to be a bit nearsighted when it comes to life, in my opinion. Hobbits more than most, let me tell you. Also, I heard mister Bilbo and mister Butterbur talk about you! Though don't ask me how mister Bilbo knows all this stuff and how he gets to know them. He said you were a capable young man to keep an eye out for! High praise from..."
Periwinkle halts, then looks away, grimacing and with reddening cheeks.
"Ah, drats, me and my stupid blabbermouth."
She looks back up at Hugh.
"I am sorry, it was just something I overheard and that I maybe shouldn't have passed on. I am not usually a gossiper,you know, but I am happy to be part this little quest, and I am happy you are too."