TOR2: T'was the Eve of Midsummer

It is the year 2965 of the Third Age and the Shadow is returning. Twenty-four years ago, an alliance of Elves, Men, and Dwarves defeated a horde of Orcs and Wild Wolves, under a sky darkened by Giant Bats, inaugurating a new era of prosperity for the Free Peoples. But two decades is a long time for peace to last, and in many dark corners of the earth a shadow is lengthening once again.

Rumours of strange things happening outside the borders of civilised lands are spreading with increasing regularity and, while they are dismissed by most as fireside-tales and children’s stories, they sometimes reach the ears of individuals who recognise the sinister truth they hide.

These are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers and, when they prevail, they hail them as heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names.

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Jon
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Netrunner

Re: TOR2: T'was the Eve of Midsummer

Post by Jon » Mon May 08, 2023 8:45 pm

Periwinkle steps closer and sniffs the air.
“Hmm, it smells funny.”
Peri uses her Folk-Lore and Riddle (or some other fitting skill) to try to identify both what it is and who might have sold it to Ragnarr. Maybe she has a hunch at least.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue May 09, 2023 9:39 am

As a concerned Periwinkle enquires as to Ragnarr’s health, the Barding thinks better of taking another draw of the pipe, signalling to the judges that he will not continue, eliciting a murmur of confusion and disappointment from the gathered crowd.

After a few moments the crowd quietens down and Ragnarr sits down to compose himself, his head pounding and a sickly taste in his mouth.

The third round begins, with Periwinkle and Fargrim producing some nice looking but traditional smoke rings. Hugh once again produces a splendid sequence of rings, but his is outdone by a spectacular plume of smoke coming from Adelard’s pipe, a ring in the likeness of Bilbo Baggins.

While these wonderful smoke rings are being produced, two of the other competitors fail to create anything other than the sound of retching and coughing. The two hobbits seem very off colour, in a similar way to Ragnarr and after taking a moment to compose themselves, they are helped out of the circle of competitors, with the judges looking concerned.

After a brief discussion, the judges decide that the fourth and final round will commence in a few moments.

Periwinkle remembers seeing Ragnarr in conversation with a hobbit that she’s not familiar with and noted that the same hobbit had a brief conversation with Adelard that seemed to end abruptly before the contest started. Besides that, Periwinkle doesn’t immediately recognise the smell of the pipeweed.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 09, 2023 6:08 pm

Vidar frowns at the sight of several sickened contestants. Something seems off. Was someone trying to rig the outcome of the contest in some way? It seemed absurd. But the why were three contestants sick in similar ways?

He gets up from where he is sitting and approaches the judges. "Gentlemen, I am Vidar, son of Vali, a trader from the Blue Mountains. I think I am known to more than a few here, both for my keen mind and my fairness. It looks as though you are concerned something is amiss with the contest, with three members taking sick for what seems no good reason. I would like to volunteer my services to you to speak with the sickened contestants to try to see if there is some foul play. That way you may continue on with the contest. In all fairness, I should tell you that two of the contestants--Fargrim and Hugh--are associates of mine." He bows to the judges and waits for their reply.
Courtesy 2 + Heirloom Jeweled Arm Rings 1: https://orokos.com/roll/977792:
1d12: 1 [1d12=1]
3d6: 9 [3d6=5, 2, 2]
Total: 10. I'm going to guess that's a fail.

Jon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jon » Tue May 09, 2023 6:16 pm

After fetching Ragnarr a hefty mug of ice cold well water, Periwinkle goes over to the stalls to fetch Ragnarr's wife Ulfhild. While passing through the crowd, she keeps an eye out for that strange hobbit she saw talking to Ragnarr earlier. The smoke ring competition is all but forgotten in her mind.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 09, 2023 7:25 pm

Muskrat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 6:08 pm
Vidar frowns at the sight of several sickened contestants. Something seems off. Was someone trying to rig the outcome of the contest in some way? It seemed absurd. But the why were three contestants sick in similar ways?

He gets up from where he is sitting and approaches the judges. "Gentlemen, I am Vidar, son of Vali, a trader from the Blue Mountains. I think I am known to more than a few here, both for my keen mind and my fairness. It looks as though you are concerned something is amiss with the contest, with three members taking sick for what seems no good reason. I would like to volunteer my services to you to speak with the sickened contestants to try to see if there is some foul play. That way you may continue on with the contest. In all fairness, I should tell you that two of the contestants--Fargrim and Hugh--are associates of mine." He bows to the judges and waits for their reply.
Courtesy 2 + Heirloom Jeweled Arm Rings 1: https://orokos.com/roll/977792:
1d12: 1 [1d12=1]
3d6: 9 [3d6=5, 2, 2]
Total: 10. I'm going to guess that's a fail.
Oh, wait, Courtesy is a Favored skill, so I roll two Feat die
https://orokos.com/roll/977806: 1d12: 2 [1d12=2]
New Total: 11. I guess that didn't really help ... Oh well

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu May 11, 2023 8:57 am

The judges listen to Vidar solemnly, conferring in hushed voices for a moment or so before they turn back to the dwarf. "Well, since they've withdrawn from the contest, you're free to do as you please Master Vidar, but this is a most unusual turn of events." One of the hobbit judges says.

"Periwinkle Proudfoot, you have also forfeit your place in the competition, and it will be noted that you left of your own accord." Says another judge.

Periwinkle goes and fetches Ulfhild who was happily speaking to a pair of Breelanders at her stall and is now rather concerned for her husband's wellbeing. She thanks the young hobbit for coming to her and follows her back to where Ragnarr is now recovering. Of the strange hobbit that spoke to Ragnarr earlier, there is no sign, at least not at the moment.

After a marked delay, the fourth and final round continues with a much reduced number of contestants. Fargrim and Hugh, as well as Adelard Took are still among them, but nobody seems certain of the outcome with so many folk dropping out.

I'll make rolls for those still competing shortly.

Jon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jon » Thu May 11, 2023 7:00 pm

Periwinkle finds Targon and tugs excitedly at his sleeve.
"Mister Ranger! Mister Ranger! We have foul play and a mystery on our hands!"
The words tumbles out of her mouth head over heel as she tries to tell the tall Dunadan what has happened and who the culprit may be. Periwinkle does her best to describe the mysterious hobbit she saw talking to Ragnrarr earlier.
"We must find him, Mister Targon. Maybe he knows what to do to make them all feel better again. And if anyone here has the skill and talent to track him down, I know it's you."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 11, 2023 8:02 pm

"Thank you," says Vidar to the judge. He'd have preferred a more direct endorsement but the judge hadn't exactly said no.

He moves to the nearest of the sick contestants and puts a hand on his shoulder. "How are you doing? My name is Vidar, son of Vali. I'm a trader from the Blue Mountains. It looks like someone is trying to sabotage the contest. Do you have any idea what happened?" he asks gently.
Courtesy 2 + Heirloom Jeweled Arm Rings 1: https://orokos.com/roll/978010:
2d12k1: 12 [2d12k1=[12], 9]
3d6: 12 [3d6=5, 3, 4]

Total: Gandalf: Auto-success.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri May 12, 2023 3:30 am

Fargrim listens along during all the commotion. Bless my beard, is that Periwinkle? He gives the coughing withdrawers a concerned look before giving his own pipe another whiff. He shrugs, as he's not being affected by whatever's going around - the blessings of being Dwarvish. He nods to Vidar before the lad goes off to find answers.

"I do hope he'll warn me, if there's trouble." He raises his pipe to his lips for the last round.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 16, 2023 6:47 pm

Targon is similarly concerned, his friendly demeanor disappearing, becoming all business. He moves over to Ragnarr, inspecting him and the pipe he used for clues as to what poison, disease, or noxious chemical could be the likely culprit. He can name a dozen things that can swiftly sicken a person, although a smoking vector is unusual and might be outside his knowledge.

He also listens carefully to the description of the strange hobbit, stands up to his full height well above the crowd, and begins sweeping the crowd for any sign of this suspicious person.
Wasn't sure which Skills would apply, but tried Healing and Awareness as reasonable choices:
Healing (favored, TN 16): 9+7 = 16, Success.
Awareness - if useful (favored, TN 12) = 14, 'Great Success'.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."