TOR2: T'was the Eve of Midsummer

It is the year 2965 of the Third Age and the Shadow is returning. Twenty-four years ago, an alliance of Elves, Men, and Dwarves defeated a horde of Orcs and Wild Wolves, under a sky darkened by Giant Bats, inaugurating a new era of prosperity for the Free Peoples. But two decades is a long time for peace to last, and in many dark corners of the earth a shadow is lengthening once again.

Rumours of strange things happening outside the borders of civilised lands are spreading with increasing regularity and, while they are dismissed by most as fireside-tales and children’s stories, they sometimes reach the ears of individuals who recognise the sinister truth they hide.

These are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers and, when they prevail, they hail them as heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names.

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: TOR2: T'was the Eve of Midsummer

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 pm

Vidar turns to the others. "Well, this is all very odd. It sounds as if someone wanted to sabotage the smoke ring contest. But why would anyone want to do that? A nasty prank? Some grudge against the Breefolk?" He shrugs, thinking there is not much he can do about it.

He turns back to Ebenezer and says, "Well, I see you meant no harm. Hopefully, others will do so as well if you return their money and make an apology. But that is for you to decide. But if I had to live in a small community like this where everyone knows everyone else's business, I know what I would do."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:29 am

Fargrim gives Ebenezar a doubting look. He's not satisfied with so little information, and not certain the old hobbit is truly telling them all he knows, but the elder dwarf is sometimes unaware of how overbearing he comes across.

Jon
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Netrunner

Post by Jon » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:18 am

After glaring for a long time at Ebenezer, Periwinkle turns to Targon.
"We should report this to that ranger lady you spoke to earlier. She's your boss or something, isn't she? The rangers need to know there's a scoundrel walking these roads, a scoundrel up to no good. Who knows what he'll come up with next."
"And," Periwinkle says and points at Ebenezer," I suggest we take him with us. Maybe meeting your friends will loosen his lips."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:23 pm

With all the excitement of the pipe smoking contest and the pipeweed fiasco, Hugh had forgotten about the animals being massacred. While he didn’t see a connection, as long as people were looking into suspicious activities, he thought it might be worth bringing this up as well.

“As long as we are looking into this character and his poisoned pipeweed, I also heard a rumor about livestock being slaughtered in a most unusual manner. These events don’t likely have a thing to do with one another, but it sure seems like a lot of dark deeds are happening around here all at once. I wonder if we should mention the animals to your Ranger friend as well, when we talk to him.”

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:21 pm

Vidar nods at Hugh. "Good thinking." He turns to Ebenezer and says, "Will you come speak to the Rangers with us? I know they have a shady reputation but, in my dealings with them, they're good folk. And you'll buy yourself some good will by helping find the fellow who gave you the bad pipeweed."
Courtesy 2 + Heirloom Jeweled Arm Rings: https://orokos.com/roll/980237:
2d12k1: 8 [2d12k1=[8], 4]
3d6: 12 [3d6=6, 3, 3]
Total: 20. Great Success.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:15 pm

"Well, to be fair," Ragnarr says, stumbling over to the group, "the hobbit didn't actually charge me any money for the pipeweed." The Barding's eyes are still red with irritation from the questionable smoke, but his mind seems to have pushed away the fogginess from before. "However, if some stranger is looking to stir up trouble, I don't think the contest is the only target for his subterfuge."

Jon
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Netrunner

Post by Jon » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:39 pm

”Ragnarr!” Periwinkle exults, “you look much better!”
She rushes forward and gives him a big hug. Then, thoughtful, she turns around to face Ebenezer again.
“So, you didn’t take any payments for your faulty pipeweed, did you?”
Her eyes narrow as she stares at the hobbit.
“Tell me, mister Ebenezer, why would you do that, if your goal wasn’t to knowingly make trouble by poisoning as many contestants as possible, eh? Why give it away for free? Can you tell us that?”

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:43 am

"R-rangers!?" The now pale-faced hobbit squeals. "But, it's not my fault! All I did was what the old man wanted.." His shoulders slump, making his pot belly stand out and he looks forlornly at Periwinkle, refusing to meet the gaze of Targon towering over everyone.

When he hears Hugh's rumour of butchered animals and Vidar's suggestion, his eyes go wide in terror. "I had nothing to do with that! Please, I'll talk to the rangers and tell them everything I know, but I know nothing at all about slaughtered animals, I swear!"

"He told me that I would be able to get my own back against that arrogant Took, that's all I was doing with the pipe weed.. I promise, it was selfish revenge is all, I don't know anything about these animals." Ebenezer confesses.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:24 pm

Vidar puts a gentle but firm hand on Ebenezer's shoulder and says, "I think you should speak to the Rangers." He looks up at Targon to let the man guide them to the Rangers' leader. "And we can talk about what else you can do to put yourself back in good standing with the community. A public apology and free pipeweed--of the good sort--is probably a good place to start."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:31 am

Head bowed and shoulders slumped the hobbit nods, "Yes, I know you are right.. I am sorry."

He looks up to Targon, "I should get this over with. Take me to your leader."