TOR2: Onwards to Combe

It is the year 2965 of the Third Age and the Shadow is returning. Twenty-four years ago, an alliance of Elves, Men, and Dwarves defeated a horde of Orcs and Wild Wolves, under a sky darkened by Giant Bats, inaugurating a new era of prosperity for the Free Peoples. But two decades is a long time for peace to last, and in many dark corners of the earth a shadow is lengthening once again.

Rumours of strange things happening outside the borders of civilised lands are spreading with increasing regularity and, while they are dismissed by most as fireside-tales and children’s stories, they sometimes reach the ears of individuals who recognise the sinister truth they hide.

These are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers and, when they prevail, they hail them as heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names.

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Re: TOR2: Onwards to Combe

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:51 am

Fortunately your horses are all where they were left and you are able to start the walk back towards Combe and Bree.

Let me know if you want to stop by at Combe to talk to the locals, or just head straight to Bree and The Pony.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:40 am

Vidar says, "I think we should speak with the people here in Combe before we go onto Bree to let them know we cleared out a group of orcs who were most likely the ones mutilating their livestock." He ponders for a moment. "I wonder if this 'White One' is the same person who supplied the sickening pipeweed. Though I am still mystified by what anyone could hope to gain from disrupting that contest."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:44 pm

"If the people of Combe were suffering the goblins' predation of their livestock, it would be good to appraise them of today's events."
Last edited by Othniel on Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:43 pm

The Ranger nods in agreement. "Bringing peace of mind to the people is a noble instinct, goodman Vidar. I wholeheartedly agree that we should inform the locals of the danger we have removed, then move on to Bree."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:12 pm

Hugh is uncomfortable just letting the goblin loose, but he agrees that slaying it after it has surrendered is just plain wrong. Well, hopefully the creature would count itself lucky and scurry back to whatever hole it climbed out of and never return to do more mischief.

Istril fascinates him. He has seen a few elves in his time, but has never traveled with one. He cannot imagine what it must be like to live on and on as the world around changes.

He does take some time to welcome her to the company and offers to help recover her belongings from the cave so that she need not spend another minute in that dark, foul place.

As regards heading to Combe, well, he is in agreement that the people there should be told that the menace of the goblins has been dealt with.

Jon
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Netrunner

Post by Jon » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:21 pm

Periwinkle, who have been standing silent and half-hidden for a long time, listening, finally works up the courage to speak.
"Maybe we should pay old Mister Breeker a visit? I know the way to his old mansion, if you would? It's not far."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 pm

Vidar nods and says, "That sounds like a good plan, lass."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:58 am

The company reach the edge of Combe in good time, finding the old estate of Oswald Breeker on the outskirts, it's crumbling walls isolating it from the rest of the sleepy village.

While it may look forbidding, it is a welcome sight after encountering foul goblins and orcs. After knocking on the door and waiting a while, the skinny, wrinkled landowner comes to the door and listens intently to your tale (as you chose to tell it), seemingly very interested in the discovery of the captive elf, who now stands with your group.

"The fact that you are still alive Lady Istril, tells me that the Enemy seeks information on these lands and those that may stand for them in the face of His forces." Breeker says after ushering you inside and providing you with plain but nourishing refreshments.

"I would suggest you all return to Bree and Lady Gilraen with this information. She may have further use of you." He adds.

Recover any lost Endurance. I've added some Adventure Points for you all.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:06 pm

"Thank you for your hospitality," says Vidar, sitting comfortably at Beeker's table and sipping ale. "That was our plan but we figured you and your people should know that we had dealt with your cattle mutilation problem."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:47 pm

Hugh thanks Mr. Beeker for his hospitality. It is comforting to sit again at a table and relax after the battle with the goblins. “I wonder what he means by all that about the Enemy looking for information on those that stand against him. I mean I suppose I know that we are fighting the enemy, but do you really think he knows us and is looking for us?” He directs his whispered comments at Vidar, not trying to draw the attention of their host.

Well, he had always wanted an adventure, but he was learning that this adventuring might might involve more danger and not just exploring strange lands and finding treasure. And they hadn’t even left the Breelands.

But he had proved his mettle in the fight and was beginning to feel a part of this company. Maybe he was cut out for adventure, even if it was different from what he imagined.