TOR2: Onwards to Combe

It is the year 2965 of the Third Age and the Shadow is returning. Twenty-four years ago, an alliance of Elves, Men, and Dwarves defeated a horde of Orcs and Wild Wolves, under a sky darkened by Giant Bats, inaugurating a new era of prosperity for the Free Peoples. But two decades is a long time for peace to last, and in many dark corners of the earth a shadow is lengthening once again.

Rumours of strange things happening outside the borders of civilised lands are spreading with increasing regularity and, while they are dismissed by most as fireside-tales and children’s stories, they sometimes reach the ears of individuals who recognise the sinister truth they hide.

These are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers and, when they prevail, they hail them as heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names.

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: TOR2: Onwards to Combe

Post by Muskrat » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:13 am

"Yes," says Vidar to the goblin. "Flee now back to your home and never leave it again."

He then turns to the elven woman, bows, and then says, "I am Vidar, son of Vali of the Blue Mountains. Can you tell who you are and how we might help you?"

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:49 am

"Well met, Vidar, son of Vali." The elf woman bowed low. "I am Istril of Rivendell. I am in your debt for your most timely intervention. I was traveling through this land and waylaid by the goblins of this cave. I have no doubt my end would have been bitter if not for you folk. Perhaps I may somehow repay your timeliness."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:37 am

Fargrim casts a disapproving look at Vidar.

"We came here for our own reasons. There is no debt to be repaid. You may join us until we return to Combe, where I suspect you will go your way to Rivendell?"

His formal speech does not mask his scorn for Istril, which is naked upon his face. He wants nothing to do with her.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:22 pm

If Istril picked up on the tone of the dwarf, she gave no sign in the darkness of the cave. "I would prefer not to discuss my plans in front of the goblin. Come, let us go out into the fresh air before we speak more."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:56 am

The Ranger shakes his head, knowing showing mercy to the goblin will not end with anything good. At best though, it'll run home so scared it can't think to do mischief along the way. He gives it a boot to get it moving faster, then turns back to the group. "Alright, planning time."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:48 am

The Barding yanks his spear out of a goblin corpse with a sharp motion. "I am Ragnarr, son of Gautarr," he says politely. "Did you have any traveling companions with you? If this 'old, white man' has any interest in prisoners, there's probably more raiding parties skulking about the outskirts of villages along the entire road."

"We should probably check on our horses."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:57 pm

"My only companion was my friend Lhossiel, but she is a mare and I expect she will find me when I call," Istril clarified.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:06 pm

Vidar sighs inwardly at Fargrim's hostility to Istril. Aloud, he says, "Yes, you owe us no debt. The Free Peoples should aid each other in the fight against the Enemy. We are stronger together than alone." He looks pointedly at Fargrim for a moment and then turns his attention back to Istril. "Will you return to Bree and the Prancing Pony with us? I would speak more with you about what happened, and if there is not some plan of the Enemy, we might frustrate."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:38 am

Istril nodded and smiled. "I will gladly accompany you to Bree. Would that all free folk thought as you speak. The days would be brighter."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:39 am

"Hmph, indeed. I suppose our patron may wish to hear your story. Fargrim is my name if we are to share company."

The older dwarf shares a look pensive look with Vidar. A private and familiar cautioning against dealings with elves is likely to come once they set off on the road, whether back to Combe to wrap up their business, or straight to Bree to give their findings to Gilraen.

(A conversation that Istril may overhear regardless.)