Act 1: Season of the Wolf

Here are where the old games no longer played are posted. Check out some of the great games of the past!
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Act 1: Season of the Wolf

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Round 5 Initiative: Odin 21.8, Travan 12.3, Wolves 12.2
Travan lays on his back, remaining prone and keeping the attention of the wolf on him and not the gypsy moving in behind it. The Witcher sweeps his bastard sword across the beast, shouting at it, and slicing open the underside of the throat of the beast from his angle on the ground. The weapon opens up a great gash and gushes blood onto the Witcher and the ground. The blow nearly decapitates the wolfhound as it sends it falling to the ground dead.
Travan (Prone): Attack -4: 'œ20' (Confirm: 20) Max Critical to Wounds: 14, DEAD

Cirtical hits in the Vitality/Wound system are slightly different. Instead of being doubled or trippled, they are applied directly to wounds, and you by pass Vitality. I also apply a special bonus to any Nat 20 cirtical that confirms with another natural 20, making it max damage. So... OUCH! See below for the detailed rules on Crits.
Critical Hits
A critical hit deals the same amount of damage as a normal hit, but that damage is deducted from wound points rather than from vitality points. Critical hits do not deal extra damage; for that reason, no weapon in this system has a damage multiplier for its critical hits.

Any critical hit automatically overcomes a creature's damage reduction, regardless of whether or not the attack could normally do so.

Most weapons retain their normal critical threat range. If a weapon normally has a critical multiplier greater than Ã--2, the weapon's threat range expands by 1 point per additional multiplier, as indicated on the table below.

Multiplier New Threat Range
Ã--3 19-20
Ã--4 18-20
Ã--5 17-20
The last of the wolves is dead, and the two men have a moment to recollect themselves after the fight.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Odin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:21 am

Georg looks at the blood and gore around him as he extends a hand to help the witcher to his feet.

"They certainly heard that, any element of surprise we had is now gone. What do you think we should do from here?"
I search for hidden dwarves...

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:43 pm

"We could wait here, and hope that the alarm has drawn their attention enough to send another patrol..."

Travan eyes the small alcove in the southwest corner of the cave...

"But that certainly will leave us outnumbered, and with our backs to the wall... "

The blade of the Witcher rises to the northwest, slowly dripping the sanguinary remains of the Vulf.

"We must move ahead before they can amass a defence"
Let's keep moving, unless you know how to do a Lupine Victory Howl that'll put them off guard.

Odin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:29 am

Georg nods at Travan preparing to move out. He wipes his blade one the fur of the wolf infront of him before sheathing his sword.

Looking back at the entrance of the cave he spies the dirk that he dropped. He runs over and picks it up and replaces it in his belt loop before running back to the witcher.

"I agree, we should press the attack before they are sure of our numbers. Maybe we can catch whatever patrol they send off guard if we attack swiftly enough."

He nods once more indicating that he is ready to move on.
For sake of combat I'm estimating that getting my dirk back would take roughly 2 to 2.5 rounds so 18 seconds max. If need be we can make a spot/search check for it and I'll edit my post appropriately. As far as a wolf victory cry goes I doubt my 1 lvl in bard could produce a Ghost Sound high enough to mimic it being that a roaring lion is equivalent to 16 humans, or 4 caster levels. A wolfs howl may be only equivalent to 8-12 humans but thats still 2-3 caster levels. Granted this is all extreme metagaming so sorry Vardaen :D I know some DM's hate metagaming

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:44 pm

In this case, I don't dislike metagaming. And in fact it often is a boon for a player to try and figure this stuff out. Your chracter knows the limits of his spells, so why shouldn't you?

I'm not worried about combat round now either. So...
Georg moves and recovers his dirk, placing it in his belt, his short blade continues to glow softly still from the oil placed on it by The Witcher. Travan and Georg are then ready to proceed having defeated the wolf guards. The rest of the chamber has a few wagons in it, the same wagons used in looting of Georg's caravan, so this is certainly the place. Two passages leave the cave, one south, and one northwest. Which way will the pair of vengence seekers take?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Odin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:25 am

Georg eyes the two ways assessing the situation. He turns his head to Travan having thought it out a few moments.

"I think the south way would be a bit safer given our current situation. The narrower tunnel could alow us a bit better defensive positioning." he thinks a moment longer,"But a fast run down the north tunnel could definately take them by surprise. I could use a sign to create the sound of more humans walking and make them think that there are more of us. What do you think?"

He looks to the witcher for his thoughts.

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:11 pm

Travan moves closer to the northwest tunnel and inhales deeply. He leans an ear toward into the opening, listening for the sounds of livestock

"If these thieving scumdogs stole horses, and if they're stabling them here, we should head this way, kill their stablehands and other shiftless brigands who we may catch unawares. I've no doubt we'll find their proudest raiders soon enough. "
I'm not sure one tunnel is any better tactically than the other from what we can see on this map, though a narrower passage is certainly desireable for the reasons you laid out.

Odin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:42 am

Georg nods at Travan.

"To the north it is then. We'll make those dogs pay for every pain the inflicted on my caravan."

He checks his weapons once again pulling each one an inch up in it's respective sheath before replacing it. Seeing that each glides effortlessly he nods at the witcher once more.

"I am ready whenever you are, let us spill the blood of these beasts."
This should be fun :)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:02 pm

The pair pick the north tunnel, listening at it the Witcher can hear the echos of voice from far in the cave and the dripping of water from the ceiling. Both men set themselve, Georg checking his blades, each sliding easily up and out of the sheath. The pair start down the tunnel, and the light of the cave mouth fades, but a slight red glow appears further along. The passage moves west and then south bending around and down to meet up with the southern passage which bends west and north. However where the two passages meet thick roots and heavy debris clog the tunnel making moving through it immpossible. It would seem the pair took the correct tunnel, as their's opens up into a wider cave, torch light and voices filling it... the duo pauses at the open to peer inside.
Inside the cave a half dozen men, and their sleeping quarters are visible. stalamights and stalatights reach from floor and ceiling, piles of crates and barrels, looted from Georg's caravan are stacked in the cave room.

Various light sources light the faces of the men, these are the men that Georg saw at his caravan, but there are not nearly as many here as attacked his home and kin. The men wear leather armors, tight and black, and wear or hold swordblades in their hands as they watch the entrance, well aware of your attack on the wolfhounds. Each man wears a pin bearing a red wolf face, the mark of the Red Lupine gang. One man among the is dressed in heavy wools, underneath the glimmer of chainmail is visible, and in his hands a very large flail waits at the ready.
The Leader with Heavy Flail

The Men
Go ahead and make a post, non combat, my next post will be Initiative, I just ran out of time, meeting...

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Going to assume I can make my position 4 squares north, 10 West of my icon.
Travan holds up his empty left hand, showing 5 fingers.

He then hold up 3 fingers, and waves the hand north, followed by 2 fingers waved south.

Pointing at himself, then at george, Travan waves North... Then cocks an eyebrow to indicate a "What do you think of that?"