Episode II: Let the Gods Decide

Here are where the old games no longer played are posted. Check out some of the great games of the past!
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Episode II: Let the Gods Decide

Post by Grimbold » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Urging on his dogs, Wulf puts some more distance between Ulbert and himself, pulling ahead for a comfortable lead. The edge of the forest is coming closer.
Sorry for the delay, this week (and the next) were full of work...
Wulf: 16+9+2=26 for 66m
Ulberth total for 55m

Total distance covered:
Wulf: 129m
Ulberth: 119m
Forest begins at 180m

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:24 am

Urging the dogs to give everything they have and stretch this lead as far as possible while still on clear ground, Wulf prepares himself mentally for what obstacles may lie ahead, and how to best deal with them.
The greatest of men would be silly, and lazy, and I would be king, if the world was crazy.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:16 pm

Wulf is able to keep the same distance now as he urges his dogs on at full speed. Soon, he enters the forest. Ulberth is still back about 10m, cursing and swearing furiously at his dogs.
Wulf: 6+9+2=17for 57m
Ulberth total 17 for 57m

Total distance covered:
Wulf: 129+57=186m
Ulberth: 119+57=176m
Forest begins at 180m
Here, the driver needs to decide if he wants to go right through the undergrowth (more difficult) or drive around it (slower). Just tell me what you want to do...

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Wulf weighs his options. If I go through, and he follows, there is danger, but its there for both of us. If he doesnt follow, then I am putting my already significant lead in peril, needlessly. If I go around and he doesnt, then I have taken the edge psychologically because he is taking risks he might not normally take. And if he follows me this route, then the risks are still diminished, and I still have my lead.

Then to himself he says: "Ok then, I will go around."
is the return trip carried out on the same path?
The greatest of men would be silly, and lazy, and I would be king, if the world was crazy.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Both sleds race into the forest. Patches of snowy trees, bushes, are here, and fallen logs and twigs are barely discernible, covered in snow.

While Wulf goes around the tightest patches, Ulberth, being behind, drives straight through the thick of the undergrowth. This time, he manages to keep up with Wulf and does not lose any ground. He is now about 10m behind and 7-10m to the right.
Going straight through has a base speed of 40 and a difficulty of 15. All drivers and passengers have to succeed at a DC 10 reflex throw to avoid being thrown off by low branches etc.

Going around has a speed of 30 and a difficulty of 10. If you miss the number by more than 5 (or fumble), something bad happens.

Wulf goes around: r17+11=28 for 48m!
Ulberth: total 23 for 48m! Ref save: r17, success.

Total distance covered:
Wulf: 186m+48=234m
Ulberth: 176m+48=224m

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:58 pm

Praising and encouraging the dogs, urging them on, Wulf sees Ulberth charging through the denser growth. "Perfect." he says to himself, knowing he has forced Ulberth to start taking unnecessary risks.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:25 pm

Ulberth indeed takes a lot of risks. He manages to dodge a low-lying branch by a few centimeters. But for Wulf, going round takes more time, and so Ulberth manages to halve the gap between the two sleds! The end of the forest is ahead as the two sleds speed across the land with great speed, sending some forest animals scurrying for safety and a small cloud of snow dust at their rear. Icy wind blows into their faces as they speed along.
Going straight through has a base speed of 40 and a difficulty of 15. All drivers and passengers have to succeed at a DC 10 reflex throw to avoid being thrown off by low branches etc.

Going around has a speed of 30 and a difficulty of 10. If you miss the number by more than 5 (or fumble), something bad happens.

Wulf goes around: r6+11=17 for 37m!
Ulberth: total 18 for 43m! Ref save: 10 success, just made it.

Total distance covered:
Wulf: 234m+37=271m
Ulberth: 224m+43=267m

At the end of the forest there is a ditch coming up. Next round, you can either slow down to speed 30 (difficulty to jump the ditch 12), or go at it full speed (speed 40) and difficulty 17.