Episode II: Let the Gods Decide

Here are where the old games no longer played are posted. Check out some of the great games of the past!
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Episode II: Let the Gods Decide

Post by Grimbold » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:11 pm

Wulf looks around and notices the sleds and the men and women as they are crowding around them as they are being carried to the center of the camp.
They are all brought to a central meeting area where many folks have gathered to witness the trial (and punishment) of the prisoners.

The Rathgar Chieftain, Ulberth, stands in the center of the attention. He is a tall man of sixty winters with grey hair. He still seems physically very fit and he is strong and tall. On his belt, he wears his famed axe Tree-Splitter and he looks at the prisoners sternly. Like everyone else, he is dressed in animal hides but the quality show his high status.

Next to him, an even older man is standing, tall but slender, the shaman. Gwynnfrymm is almost ninety years old but he looks at the prisoners with piercing eyes full of clever wit. He is carrying his spear, Itrurin, its metal head is still sharp and has the form of an eagle.

The shaman starts a slow, monotonous singing and dances around the fire. After a while, he stomps his spear on the ground and takes out his dagger. He brings the dagger down on a tree stump and with this, judgement has been passed on two of the prisoners.

The Rathgar warriors pick up the Fromgard tribesmen, stand them up against some rocks and, while the shaman is chanting loudly, cut their throats. Their bodies slump to the ground.

The Sigurdsons are then thrown before the Chieftain and the old warrior speaks: "You two are no Fromgards, like those" he points to the two bloody corpses, "but say, why should we not sacrifice you to the gods as well?"

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Wulf decides theres really only one way out of this, winks at Bjorn, and begins to speak, with firm but respectful tones.

"You noble Rathgar share common ground with us. Hatred of the Fromgard! We had come across those hunters and convinced them we were friends and allys to them, so that we might ascertain their strengths and weaknesses. Once we had done this, we planned to use this information to raid and harrass them. Once we had gained a worthy enough amount of loot from them, my task was to bring it to you and offer it as a token of friendship between our tribes. I am sorry that our meeting is under these circumstances, and not those."
The greatest of men would be silly, and lazy, and I would be king, if the world was crazy.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Ulberth looks sceptical: "You looked very friendly with those scum. But I guess I will give you the chance to prove that you speak true and that the gods do not want you to be sacrificed right now. Let the gods decide! We shall have a contest, to be held tomorrow when the sun rises!" The shaman nods in agreement and the rest of the crowd show their support by yelling loudly. Some of the men and women look a bit disappointed, it seems that they had been looking forward to two more sacrifices.

Then Ulberth turns to the two men:
"You will still be our prisoners until your innocence is proved. You will need good rest for the contest tomorrow. Perhaps you want to pray to whatever beings you worship," there he spits on the ground. "So bring them back to the prisoner's tent! Tomorrow we shall see if you will be able to go free or be sacrificed."
This is an opposed skill check, Wulf's bluff vs Ulberth's sense motive.
Wulf: r7+1=8
Ulberth:r7-1=6

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:26 pm

Back in the tent, Wulf breathes a sigh of relief.

Wulf turns to Bjorn, "Well brother, We'll see another dawn at the very least. Better than those 2 poor Fromgard bastards! Rest tonight, for tomorrow we chase destiny."

Wulf then settles into as comfortable a position as possible, an arrogant grin on his face, meant to hide the worry for his brothers life and his own.
The greatest of men would be silly, and lazy, and I would be king, if the world was crazy.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:48 am

Early in the morning they are taken out by a young woman. The sun is beginning to rise and they can see a pair of dogsleds and two teams of dogs. The shaman explains the rules of the contest. It will be a dogsled race!
"In a clearing near here, we have put up a pole and on this pole there is a leather sack full of mead." He sticks his spear into the earth. "Whoever brings it here to this place first, shall be the winner. If the prisoners win, they will be spared and can go free. If our champion wins, they will be sacrificed to the gods as our custom prescribes. Know that if you try to flee, we will hunt you down and in our homelands, our hunters know no equal. I also have other ways of knowing where you are.
You will have no equipment but a dagger and the sleighs with the dogs. One warriors per sled. There are no other rules. The other prisoner will stay here to make sure the other one does not cravenly flee."
Just then, the Rathgar champion steps up: It is none other than Ulberth himself. He starts getting his sled and team ready, while the shaman explains to the prisoners where the clearing exactly is.

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:11 pm

Wulf turns to his brother:
"Let me take the sled brother. I am lighter, and I have beaten you enough times to gain my confidence!" He offers a light brotherly chuckle, and continues: "Besides brother, you have done much for me, and I will do this for you."

Wulf then turns to the dogs of his team. He aquaints himself to each of them and tries to get them worked up and anxious for the race ahead. Urging each of them to give their best.
skill check for empathy with the dogs?
Next Wulf examines the other sled for any weakness, structurally vulnerable areas, like the restraints for the dogs, etc.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:26 am

Wulf kneels down and talks quietly to the lead dog. The animal looks at him as if it understands and barks once. Wulf looks at the sleds and sees that while the sleds themselves are pretty sturdy, the reins are made of leather that might easily be slashed by a dagger. The restraints for the dogs are also leather, but a bit stronger.
Wild empathy: r19+1=20, success! The dogs like you!
The first part of the race is through the plains, then through a forest, down a slope, along a frozen lake, through a forest aisle up to the clearing.

Ulberth himself takes the reins of the second sleigh, his dagger, for now, in his belt. Wulf is also given a dagger while Bjorn is bound and held by four men.

Wulf takes the reins and makes the five pairs of dogs and the lead dog walk to the designated starting point. None of the contestants wear armor and the shaman has given them a dagger each.

Then, as a sign to start the race, the shaman pounds his magic spear into the ground.

"Ya, ya, ya" Ulberth yells and whistles and whips his dogs into full speed and the sled takes off, gliding down the first part of the race, the open plains, powdery snow flying into the air as the sled passes.

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:38 pm

With a crack of the reins and a cry of his own, Wulf spurs his team ahead as he sees the staff thump the ground. Already his eyes are on Ulberth and his sled, knowing that sometime very soon, he will have a very small opportunity, and he must be ready.

Other than that, charging ahead through the snow, cold air in his face, heart pounding in his chest with the thrill of the chase, the thrill of the challenge, Wulf is on fire with adrenaline. The wide grin on his face makes him look almost like a mad man.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:30 pm

Wulf's sled moves at full speed and he manages to stay ahead of Ulberth for the moment.
Wulf: 12+9+2=23 for 63m
Ulberth total 15 for 55m

Total distance covered:
Wulf: 63m
Ulberth: 55m

zenmaster451
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenmaster451 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Pulling a little ahead, Wulf allows himself to take a deep breath, slowly letting it out, to sharpen his concentration. The goal now will be to maintain the lead at all costs. If he loses, chances are he and his brother wont see tomorrow, so being in the lead, he will win honorably if possible, but he's ready to do whatever it takes.
for the moment, full warp Mr. Sulu. But given a decent lead, I will try to match Ulberths pace a little. I dont see a need to take speed risks if I'm already winning. But then, holding on to that lead is the real trick isn't it! hahaha