LTGD 3

Here are where the old games no longer played are posted. Check out some of the great games of the past!
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: LTGD 3

Post by Muskrat » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:26 am

Bjorn continues to urge his dogs on, trying to catch up with Ulberth. As he does so, he calls out, "Ha, old man, you missed me! You are getting too feeble and addle-minded in your old age to both drive a sled and strike a man! No wonder they no longer want you for chieftan of their tribe!" Bjorn feels bad about resorting to such ignoble mockery, but given the stakes, he feels he has little choice.
Fast Speed (55), plus aid to self. Also, role a Diplomacy check to anger Ulberth into doing something stupid. I'm assuming since I'm just shouting, that doesn't take up my standard action, but let me know if it does.

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 am

Sorry for the delay, I must have somehow missed your post.
Ulberth screams back some insults: "You son of a dog, how dare you insult me, maggot, I will show you who your chieftain is, dog!" He turns around to do this and then he does not spot a small rock in the way and he almost falls over but does not. Bjorn comes up right behind him.
Bjorn aid self: success.
Bjorn drive: r14+7+2=23 for 62m.
Bjorn diplomacy: r17+2=19, Ulberth rolls 13, so Bjorn: success! Ulberth will spend his two next standard actions shouting at Bjorn!
Ulberth drive: rolls 12, for 51m.

Bjorn total distance covered: 435+62=497m, reduced to 490, still behind Ulberth (the sleds are about 3m long).
Ulberth total distance covered: 442+51=493m

Now you have the choice of going round the lake along the banks (longer) or drive over the lake (faster but riskier). Ulberth will go around.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:54 am

Bjorn urges the dogs out across the frozen lake. He is wary of unsafe ice, but he is willing to take the risk. He is very tempted to shout back at Ulberth, now that he's enraged the chieftan, calling him a coward, but doesn't want to encourage him to follow him out on the lake.
Bjorn goes full tilt, plus aid to self.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Ulberth screams more insults at Bjorn and moves to drive along the coast of the frozen lake. Bjorn however takes a risk and drives straight onto the ice trying to beat Ulberth to the other side! The ice groans under the weight of the dogs and sled, but nothing happens.
Ulberth: Shout, drive: total of 10 for 50m.
Bjorn: Aid self success.
Drive: r4+2+7=13, 53m

Ulberth total covered: 493+50=503m
Bjorn: 10 to get to the lake and 43 on the lake (it is 150m wide).
As standard action, you can now either use aid self, or you use Spot to see if you can spot and avoid any places where the ice is thinner...

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:20 am

Bjorn urges the dogs ahead, ignoring Ulberth's shouts. Let the man make a fool of himself. Instead, he studies the ice ahead of him, looking for weak spots. He also tried to dredge up his knowledge on how safe the ice is this time of year.
Bjorn drives at full speed and makes a Spot check. Can you tell, at least roughly, the DC on the check? Also, is it possible to make a Survival check to get a general sense of what the ice is like? Depending on what you tell me, I may try to go back to shore, using a quick pass out across the ice to cut in front of Ulberth.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Bjorn knows that now the ice is strong, but there are sure to be some weaker spots, and they are difficult to spot at this speed.
For now, he continues on the lake, racing directly to the other side. He spots a patch of thin ice, but it is too late to avoid it, he races directly over it and, miraculously, the ice holds as he speeds through, breaking only after he has passed...

Ulberth races along the edge of the lake, whipping his dogs to run faster...but if nothing special happens, Bjorn will be there well before Ulberth.
Spot DC is 15 to avoid everything completely
If you only pass DC 10 there is a 30% chance to break in.
If you only pass DC 5, there is a 60% chance to break in.
If you roll lower, there is a 90% chance to break in.

Ulberth aid self: success.
Ulberth drive 19 for 59m

Bjorn spot: r5+2=7, 60% chance to break in. r72, success.
Bjorn drive: r11+7=18 for 58m.

Ulberth total covered: 543m+59=602m.
Bjorn: 43+58=101m on the lake (it is 150m wide).

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:15 am

If I slow down, what are my DCs? Also, how much distance is going along the side adding to Ulberth's trip? Is it a big curve or a little one? If you could post a map, even a really simple one, that might help me visualize things.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:01 am

Bjorn slows his dogs down somewhat in alarm, realizing he has just narrowly avoided falling through the ice through sheer luck. Perhaps the gods are smiling on him, but he decides he had better play it a little safer. Still, he doesn't want to slow down too much or he will lose the advantage he gained by going out over the lake.
Bjorn goes at 30, plus Spot. (I'm assuming the Spot is a standard action and replaces the aid to self.)

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:29 pm

Bjorn slows down on the lake, wary of thin ice. He manages to avoid a patch of thin ice at the last second, and drives on, coming nearly to the bank of the lake. After that, there is a patch of open plains and then a bit of forest before the clearing with the mead is, which has to be brought back to the village.
Ulberth is still racing around the lake at full speed. He is now well behind Bjorn.
Bjorn: Spot: r6+5+2=13. Fail. 30% to break in: r77, no breaking in...
Bjorn drive: r17+7=24 for 44m!

Ulberth: aid self success.
Ulberth drive total 14, for 54m.

Total distance covered:
Ulberth 654m. The other side of the lake is at 750m.
Bjorn: 145 (on the lake, which is a total of 150m wide.) For now, you should still "spot".

Next there is 100m open plains and then a forest full of rocks including an aisle (which is too narrow for two sleds side by side) leading to the clearing.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:47 am

Bjorn breaths a sigh of relief, seeing that he is nearly off the lake and into the woods. He took a risk going over the ice, but it seems to have paid off. Still, he has narrowly escaped going through the ice a few times, so he slows down more, looking cautiously ahead of him. When he reaches the bank, he urges the dogs on at full speed.
Bjorn does 20 m over the last part of the lake and does a Spot check. Once he gets to the plains, he goes full tilt at 50 m.