Shadowrun 4E: House of the Rising Son

Here are where the old games no longer played are posted. Check out some of the great games of the past!
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Shadowrun 4E: House of the Rising Son

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:53 pm

@ Muskrat - Oh I'm fine with anyone's ideas. That's the name of the game - Group Chat! Besides, Player Input = Better Game IMO.

We could just as easily go HKAT (Hong Kong Action Theater) style as our game and start off on the seedy streets of Hong Kong. This would give up ample enough opportunity to explore the Pan-Asian portion of the globe as well.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 am

We could even go through the Twilight Horizon series of modules, dealing with the Horizon Corporation.

You let me know what you feel like and let's get the ball rolling :)
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:17 am

The Japanese are rascists in shadowrun, mind, so if we're playing there, rascism could very well be the norm (though runners are typically more pragmatic than the mainstream, and often the kind of people that doesn't fit in standard society, but highly talented for all that)

Well, one idea of mine is dealing with the "post-Japanese Empire", after ring of fire, the marines pulled back, so you have places all over the Pacific Rim that has been free of imperial rule for a decade, in California, they propped themselves up as a dictatorship. Peru had a relatively nice transition as I recall, while the Phillipines turned out nasty. Writing from possibly faulty memory atm, so could be wrong.

Like, we're a runner team, and it's pretty obvious that we're on Renraku retainer to carry out operations to help them maintain foothold in a place where the marines has left (like Manila).

If we want an Asian shithole (or rather, a shithole that is deeper and smellier than the other ones), one might consider Rangoon. There's very little material on that place, however, so we'd have to improvise as we go.

Lagos is of course, the drekhole of all drekholes, if one wants to explore how low humanity can fall if pushed as far as it can be pushed, Lagos is the place to be.

Another idea could be that we're a team that specialize in heists, like Italian job or Ocean's Elleven.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 am

Yeah, I understand Japan in Shadowrun is pretty racist--I think Eanwulf's idea is that we would be a group trying to buck the trend.

A Hong Kong Action Theater, xia in the modern world campaign sounds rather appealing. I could see it as having some resemblance to Firefly--people who are basically decent trying to survive and hang onto their decency, while making their way in a world of thieves and killers and where they have to constantly compromise to survive. The question then becomes how much do they compromise and when? Some jobs could be standard Shadowrun heists, others might be mercenary work for poor communities who can't afford the runners' full prices, but they feel sorry and lend them a hand anyway. (If you're familiar with the show, think the episode "Heart of Gold" or the set-up at the beginning of "Our Mrs. Reynolds".)

The acting as mercs to try to maintain order for a megacorp like Renraku after the fall on the Japanese Empire also sounds appealing--it would fit very well with my original character concept.

Gabrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Gabrian » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:17 am

Wow this sounds really interesting, are there any points on the interwebz that you can look at the rules for Shadowrun? Like the SRD for D&D? I've never read anything on it, otherwise I would try to join

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:40 am

@Gabrian - There are the QUICK START RULES made available from Shadowrun 4E's game designers and the SHADOWRUN WIKI for setting information but sadly no SRD sites.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 am

Zorbeltuss wrote:Another idea could be that we're a team that specialize in heists, like Italian job or Ocean's Elleven.
What, like an independent "freelance" Runner Team? Or possibly the early formation of a private syndicate? That would be interesting. Go out and do jobs at your own leisure then finance and upgrade your own safehome, personal armaments and cyberware, etc. We could even call it Shadowrun: Syndicate.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 am

Hmm, I'm not really taken with the idea of doing heists, unless we want to have the Firefly-type theme I mentioned earlier. Or I suppose just my character could be a Firefly-type character, trying to play the group's conscience, sort of an anti-Jayne. (I apologize for all the Firefly references for this who don't know the show.)

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 am

Zorbeltuss wrote:Well, one idea of mine is dealing with the "post-Japanese Empire", after ring of fire, the marines pulled back, so you have places all over the Pacific Rim that has been free of imperial rule for a decade, in California, they propped themselves up as a dictatorship. Peru had a relatively nice transition as I recall, while the Phillipines turned out nasty. Writing from possibly faulty memory atm, so could be wrong.

Like, we're a runner team, and it's pretty obvious that we're on Renraku retainer to carry out operations to help them maintain foothold in a place where the marines has left (like Manila).
Where did you read about these events? I ask because the idea of a clean-up crew under Renraku payroll sounds cool. Lots of room for all kinds of things.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:29 am

Shadows of Asia, primarily. I think there should be stuff about it in the year of the comet also. Sixth World Almanac gives a bit of update on the current situation, but that one has less detail.

The world of 3e is much more comprehensively described than in 4e. You have city supplements in the latter, yes, but 3e gives you some serious background on a lot of countries.