Newbie on board

Go ahead. Introduce yourself. Use Haiku for bonus points. NEWLY REGISTERED MEMBERS should post here first so they can be approved as users.
Feanor
Level 0
Level 0

Newbie on board

Post by Feanor » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:31 pm

*coughs, clears thoat* Hi there! *waves a hand and all*

Yep, bright lost newbie wannabe on board ;) I have been playing RPGs for the last ten years, both off line (by email and by post) and on line (mushes) and mainly based upon George R.R. Martin's books (ASOIAF books) and J.R.R. Tolkien's (any Age, from the Years of the Trees to Fourth Age). Dragonlance too, even if I did long, long ago... and barely can remember the books after a few years... :P

Well, anyone interested to play in Westeros and/or Middle-Earth, I wonder? :) I have checked the adventures you are running and I must to say I don't know a s*** of those worlds ;) Except SW (and, I think, there's a Camelot thread going on, too? :? *needs to check again), and even if I love the movies, I am not sure if I would like to join it :)

F.

Fencer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fencer » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:47 am

Welcome!

I'm the resident active newbie. The guys here are a good and welcoming group.

That said, I think this is too small a community to realistically hope for games based on Westeros or Amber or any other particular series of great books. You'ld need everybody to have read them, pretty much, and that seems unlikely. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, guys!)

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:14 am

We have considered doing something with Middle-Earth. The founder, and us first few contributers, aka, Brennor, me, and Vardaen, all hail firstly from the MUSH community.

Though this site was first designed as a resource for a RL Shadowrun game, it has evolved into what it has become today.

We now run games based on D20 (D&D), GURPS, L5R, Shadowrun, and a original system of gameplay.

I know that at least Brennor, Vardaen, Warige, and I have read Lord of the Rings. I started on Elendor MUSH about nine years ago now, so that was my basic starting point for online RP.

I do not know if there are any plans of running a ME game. I considered it awhile back, but I kinda have my hands full now. Most of these worlds have no "large" audience and are either understood through posts made here or resources on other online sources.

For instance, the game Shei-Salom came about with me just starting to write about the world. To flesh it out, I have people send me ideas about what types of character they want to play and I fleshed out a bit of the world based on those ideas.

Others, such as Mahasarpa and Zakara have strict D&D influences. They are pretty much D&D variant worlds of settings (not campaigns). Campaigns, such as Dragonlance and Eberron, are also D&D influences. Basically, to stop rambling ... read the OOC and IC posts. If something strikes your interest, most likely you will know even more than most players did when they started playing the game.

Feel free to ask any questions or comment on anything. We really love new players and especially those that come here for quality RP.

Thanks,

Tet
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Fencer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fencer » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:32 am

I also have read LOTR a number of times, and could be up for a game in that setting.

Although I admit it might be jarring when D&D rules contradict LOTR canon ...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:34 am

I agree. It probably would fall better into a GURPS environment (where things such as racial templates are editable)
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Fencer
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fencer » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:01 am

TetNak wrote:I agree. It probably would fall better into a GURPS environment (where things such as racial templates are editable)
Good point. Theoretically I prefer GURPS to D&D anyway. D&D just keeps sucking me in because there are more opportunities to play, and archetypes are so richly established -- and because 3.x rules close some of the gaps with GURPS (emphasis on the SOME).

I imagine a good time to set the story would be some decades after the events in the books, when a lesser remnant of the old evil reemerges (which always seems to happen). By way of contrast, I don't think Middle-Earth would be a good setting for, say, an urban medieval adventure or a magical spy thriller.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:23 am

Welcome Feanor!

As for a M-e game I would be up for tring that out. Like Tet said I come from the MUSH world, where I've been playing on Elendor for about 10 years, which is a 3rd Age M-e game

Instead of d20 or GURPs ever, I would be up for playing MERPs (Middle Earth Role Playing) I have some of the book for that.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:50 pm

Welcome, Feanor! :)

I agree with V. A M-E based system should be run using either MERPS or RoleMaster. That'll prevent the issues you've seen comparing cannon to other games systems.

Perhaps it is time for me to resurrect my little GM tool, V? ;)
And yes, always wake the rest of your party while you are on watch, in the middle of the woods and hear Ork voices! :oops:
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Newbie on board

Post by Brennor » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:51 pm

Should probably spend some time soon setting up the "Introductions" type forum, huh... This is a perfect thread for it.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+