Vardaen wants you to say hi to me

Go ahead. Introduce yourself. Use Haiku for bonus points. NEWLY REGISTERED MEMBERS should post here first so they can be approved as users.
MorbusIff
Level 0
Level 0

Vardaen wants you to say hi to me

Post by MorbusIff » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:03 pm

G'day. I'm not from Australia... ... mate.

Big fan of L5R. Have owned most of the cards and most of the RPG books for decades without actually having played them - just soaked up their story and the sheer enjoyment of their continuing mythology. Found this corner of the circlic internet by doing a search for "L5R play by post" and discovering that TetNak was recently recruiting for a new PBP, one centered around gaijin entering the lands for the first time. Seemed like a good starting point and I'll likely try and give it a shot.

For ten years, I owned/ran http://www.gamegrene.com/ which has since been "boxed up", along with all my RPG books (for reasons I explain heartfeltedly in http://www.gamegrene.com/node/1244 ). I didn't have the heart to put away my L5R stuff though, and randomly decided that I had time for a PBP (though, it's likely I don't, what with Portal 2, MMOs aplenty, my own projects, etc., etc.).

By day, I'm a coder, by night, I'm a coder, gamer, reader, writer (author of a few O'Reilly books a decade or so ago, as well as tech-editor of nearly a dozen), father, business owner, collector, blah blah blah. Jack of all trades. Just recently started a Minecraft server but have little time for that (but all my IRC friends are using it, so fine, fine). Achievement whore. Thinking about writing up an L5R 4E web-based character generator. Comic book lover (though, I'm currently transitioning to TPBs only).

Ayup.

Hey, listen: Vardaen told me to.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Vardaen wants you to say hi to me

Post by TetNak » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:13 pm

Rule #1 - Never listen to Vardaen
Rule #2 - See rule #1

Welcome!
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:18 pm

Good to see you Morbus! I actually found the site in the same way, and ran into Crimson Empire. Two things you're going to find quick is the community is great, and you need to hide your women.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Rule #3: TetNak is a liar!

Welcome to the site MorbusIff, here by shortened nickname to Mor or perhap MI because we don't like typing long names :)

I'm also a big L5R fan, we have a small card group down here and play every few weeks. There are some good groups in New England you might be able to join if you ever were interested in that more (or had time!)

Sounds like you'll fit right in, many of us are tech types, including most of the Admin staff and players. Everyone is a gamer of course, and we even have some video game groups starting up (if you play LotRO we have a Kinship!).

I look forward to RPing with a lover of the setting and hope you enjoy the place. Ask questions, send PMs and check out the IRC Chat for folks online. (link to the left)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:33 pm

Rule #4: Everyone who attends BrenCon is not a liar
Rule #5: Hide your women from TetNak

Oh, man I came here for L5R, too. :D Nice to see that the prospect of being a samurai brings so many great people to this place: Phlale, MorbusIff and me.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Kogaratsu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kogaratsu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:51 pm

Don't forget me ! Glad to have you with us MorbusIff : )

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Ah yes, of course. Sorry. And Kogaratsu. But that's it. The rest are all here so they can work less and have more fun during their workhours. ;)
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

MorbusIff
Level 0
Level 0

Post by MorbusIff » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:21 am

Vardaen wrote:Welcome to the site MorbusIff, here by shortened nickname to Mor or perhap MI because we don't like typing long names :)
Morb or Morbus is fine :)
Vardaen wrote:I'm also a big L5R fan, we have a small card group down here and play every few weeks. There are some good groups in New England you might be able to join if you ever were interested in that more (or had time!)
I'm what I call a "well-connected hermit" - that is, I rarely go outside but, because my work involves the Internet, I'm hopelessly connected and always available. I'm also "selectively mute" (per the clinical definition at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_mutism) and work from home. I've literally quit jobs before because they've tried to enforce voice/video conferencing. There's plenty more hilarity in this vein (cardboard cutouts of me brought to one DrupalCon, a laptop head brought to another, consistent rumors that I show up regularly under an assumed name, etc.).
Vardaen wrote:we even have some video game groups starting up (if you play LotRO we have a Kinship!).
Yeah, I play plenty of electronic games and I'd be more than happy to share details on Steam, Xbox, PSN, Wii, 3DS, WoW, RIFT, or whatever else your current poison is. I did have an LOTRO account for awhile, but quit for two reasons: a) it was too stuffy, like a bad Greyhawk campaign and b) I was one level away from "reaching level 20 without dying" achievement [or something thereof] and then died from falling damage, forever restricting me from that achievement unless I rerolled. Hate that shit.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:30 am

Awesome to have you aboard!!! Hope you enjoy the sight and Tet's game to be of Round Eye!
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

coynor
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coynor » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:22 am

Greetings!

I have been here for only a couple of weeks, but it has been a blast since the beginning. I'm sure it will be the same for you!
- Cadoran - Krangrimdar -