Greetings!

Go ahead. Introduce yourself. Use Haiku for bonus points. NEWLY REGISTERED MEMBERS should post here first so they can be approved as users.
scottgambit
Level 2
Level 2

Greetings!

Post by scottgambit » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:09 pm

Hello, everyone!

My name is Scott, and I'm a gamer.

I've been playing RPGs since well before the turn of the century (I really like being able to use that term, even though it's not that long ago). I own a game store (the Gamer's Gambit in Saddle Brook, NJ) and believe it or not, despite that, I don't have a lot of time to actually *play* games.

I tend to be pretty personable and outgoing, but I've developed some mellowness over the years like a nicely aged single malt scotch. Of all the games I play, my favorites are Legend of the Five Rings, Shadowrun, Outbreak: Undead, Fiasco and Pathfinder...and Battletech, though that straddles the line between RPG and mini game.

I have also been active in the online MU*ing community, and lament the fact that there is no L5R MU* anywhere.

Anyway, hi!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Greetings!

Post by TetNak » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Welcome Scott!

Vardaen, Brennor and I also came from the MU*ing community. I believe the first was Elendor. That was circa 1996!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Welcome.

I can actually see how owning a game store would leave you without time to play in games. Running a small business seems like an extremely time-consuming and often thankless task, though I can also the appeal of the independence it brings.

In any case, a lot of us (including me) are here because our schedules are so full that we can't play conventional table-top games. You'll probably fit right in in that regard.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Hello! Welcome.

We once considered making a L5R MUSH! We ran our own Shadowrift for a while and then move to the forum based games you see here.

Glad to have you, we have some folks in NY (myself included) about 3 hours from your place! Might have to see about hosting some L5R card games there :) Its a great game.

We already PMed some, so looking forward to having you around and playing some games with you. Brennor is a big Shadowrun fan!

If you see any games you like, send the GM a message we can certainly find you a game or 5 to play, and its a great way for folks without time to actually get in games.

https://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/v ... html#17488
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:32 pm

I used to live up in Essex County (Upper Montclair) when I was a kid. Not that far from where you are. (My brother was born in Patterson.) At that time the Compleat Strategist in Montclair was our FLGS. Alas, that branch closed. Hopefully that means less competition for you!

scottgambit
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scottgambit » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 pm

We play L5RCCG at the store every Wednesday, have a good contingent of about 14 players or so that play. We missed out on getting a Kotei this year, but are promised a few events in the future for Winter Court; we're also hosting prereleases. I'll keep you posted if you're interested.

I've been lucky and the GMs have invited me to apply for two games already, so woo!

scottgambit
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scottgambit » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Trogdor wrote:I used to live up in Essex County (Upper Montclair) when I was a kid. Not that far from where you are. (My brother was born in Patterson.) At that time the Compleat Strategist in Montclair was our FLGS. Alas, that branch closed. Hopefully that means less competition for you!
If you're familiar with the Paterson area, the store I own used to be called Gamemaster's, then Clubhouse Games--it was located on Broadway in Fair Lawn. We bought it in 2007 and now it's in Saddle Brook, but the store's history goes back to the 1980s (when, as a wee sprog, I played there). I liked it so much I bought the company!

As for MU*ing--I staffed on Shadowrun Seattle & Denver, and play on Firan nowadays off and on. I've bounced in and out of several other games, too; and I once worked for a company that did pay-to-play MU*s called Skotos.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Welcome!

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:40 pm

Welcome, Scott.

L5R seems to bring players to this great site. :D
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:27 am

Welcome to the site! Pull up a keyboard and have some fun. :)
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+