Ahoyhoy

Go ahead. Introduce yourself. Use Haiku for bonus points. NEWLY REGISTERED MEMBERS should post here first so they can be approved as users.
JimBone
Level 2
Level 2

Ahoyhoy

Post by JimBone » Thu May 31, 2012 1:34 am

I heard there'd be points
If I wrote this in Haiku
Can I have them now?

Anyway, I'm new. A member from another forum suggested I check the site out, so here I am.

I'm a video gamer and board gamer. Been playing video games for years, of various types, and have been known to participate in RP in-game, however it tends to either get interrupted or contrived very quickly.

I got into board games somewhat accidentally, after the shocking disappointment of a computer game I played once, I had one of those "I could have done a better job myself" rants... so I did. But as I didn't have a degree in video game technology, I made it into a board game. Created a couple of board games since then, with the help of some friends who became interested in the project along the way. Some time during that journey we realised there was a whole word of awesome board games out there, so we've been getting together to play various games regularly ever since.

Aside from the games we've created, regular features on our table include:
Twilight Imperium, Arkham Horror, Battlestar Galactica, Runewars, Mansions of Madness - and amongst us we're perpetually saving up for the next game or expansion that currently has us excited.

Anyway, I've never done any tabletop RP, and I'm not entirely sure it would be my thing. I love to write, but I'm not into acting - so I would happily take part in some forum rpg - where I could get into character without feeling like I need to speak in a cringeworthy voice or wave a rubber sword around. (Note: Not dissing anyone who's into that stuff, I just don't think I'd enjoy it)

I'm also currently waiting on a PBF of the Buffy The Vampire Slayer RPG (Unisystem) to kick off on another site, and I'm kinda itching to get going, so I figured I would check in here to see if there's anything else going on that I could get into.

Are there any games with openings and/or games that people might recommend for a noob without a rulebook?

Thanks

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Ahoyhoy

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 31, 2012 2:11 am

Glad to see you here. Welcome to the board. (I was the one who suggested he check us out.)

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 31, 2012 2:47 am

If you don't own any rulebooks, maybe someone has a Pathfinder game you can get into. The entire ruleset is available for free (legally) here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 31, 2012 6:52 am

Welcome aboard. We have a bunch of games and systems being played, check the list out, see if something strikes your fancy and send the game master a message, sometimes even full games have room

I don't think many folks here wave around rubber sword, or other types of sword either, think you are okay there. ;) oh wait Bitom does some sword fighting, but he's crazy so we wont count that.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Thu May 31, 2012 10:46 am

Welcome - nice to have you here - just check out the games list and send a message to the Gamemaster. They will give you all the info you need.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu May 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Welcome! Well, at my tabletop RPGs we don't dress up and wave toys around either or force people to reenact their characters. Besides, it's also nice to know the people you play with. That's why I go to Brencon. :D
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu May 31, 2012 8:08 pm

Welcome to the asylum!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 31, 2012 8:33 pm

If you're interested in writing, you might also check out the BWCP--Unicorn City forum. BWCP stands for "Brennor's World Creation Project." (The "Unicorn City" part is a joke/ idea we've left behind.) It's a collaborative universe-building project to create our own campaign setting especially for the forum. If you're into that sort of thing, you're welcome to join in.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:39 am

Welcome aboard. No foam swords here, only chainsaws...real chainsaws :twisted:

After downloading it all, I really have developed a fondness for The Trail of Cthulhu rules set. Shame no one is running it :(

Oh well, hope you find something you like!
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!