Guess the Song

This forums contains a bunch of different types of forum games that are not related to the RPG games run here.
Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Re: Guess the Song

Post by Nate » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:33 pm

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth... I have no clue who wrote it. But I'm assuming nobody does.

This is from one of my favorite songs...

But, oh, what providence
What divine intelligence
That you should survive
As well as me
It gives my heart great joy
To see your eyes fill with fear
So lean in close
And I will whisper
The last words you'll hear
I like pie.

Amaris
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Amaris » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:51 pm

the decemberists - the mariners's revenge song

I may be weary but I am not weak
I can sing a song of suffering
Baby, a song unsung is dancing on the tip of your tongue
My salvation's ahead of me
I can feel it calling me
I know that I
I know that I will be ready
7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Just FYI Nate:

The words and lyrics for All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth are by Don Gardner. The first publication of the Christmas song All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth was in 1946. The words of the Christmas song were parodied in the UK in the sixties, at the height of Beatlemania, when when a British comedienne named Dora Bryan recorded "All I want for Christmas is a Beatle". Every generation there appears to have a humorous Christmas song released like All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth. One cannot help wonder what future generations will make of the lyrics!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:53 pm

That first version of All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth was made famous by Spike Jones, and you still hear that version around Christmastime. It has (literally) a lot of bells and whistles (and other noisemakers).

The next major version was by Danny Kaye and Patty Andrews (of the Andrews Sisters). I have that version, and it's not bad. Making it a duet works pretty well.

After that, things get a little too modern for my archaic musical tastes. ;-)

But I think that as V notes, it's far more likely to be parodied than covered. It's not sappy enough for a regular modern Christmas song, and not nearly risque enough for a modern funny Christmas song.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:55 pm

According to my internet research, Don Gardner was the original writer for the song, but Spike Jones. Hmmm, its a Chirstmas showdown!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Ah ha, writen by and preformed by differ, we both win!

"All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" is a Christmas song that was written by Donald Yetter Gardner. Gardner wrote the song in 1944 while teaching music at public schools in Smithtown, New York. He asked the class what they wanted for Christmas, and noticed that almost all of them had at least one front tooth missing as they answered in a lisp. Gardner wrote the song in 30 minutes. In a 1995 interview, Gardner said, "I was amazed at the way that silly little song was picked up by the whole country."

The song was originally recorded by Spike Jones & His City Slickers on December 6, 1948, with lead vocal by George Rock. That version reached the top of the charts in early 1949. The song has also been recorded by numerous other singers and performers, including George Strait, Danny Kaye with The Andrews Sisters, The Platters, Nat King Cole, The Chipmunks, the Hampton String Quartet and the cast of Sesame Street.

Country music parodist Cledus T. Judd parodied the song on his 2002 Christmas album Cledus Navidad. Titled "All I Want For Christmas Is Two Gold Front Teef", Judd's parody is performed in rap
"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:59 pm

Yea, but I knew my answer off the top of my head. I didn't have to go to no Wikipedia to find it! :P

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:03 pm

I didn't either, until you contradicted me, then I had to check Wikkipedia.

Amaris
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Amaris » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:07 pm

What about my song folks?
BTW Nate - it is a good song, makes me want a beer in a drafty British tavern.
7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:09 pm

Good work. I'm impressed. I think it's far more of an accomplishment to know that Gardner wrote it as opposed to Jones performing it.