Adventures Landing - Waylayed

tigersrule
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Missing item

Post by tigersrule » Mon May 15, 2006 11:31 pm

Angered that he has been injured, Kenyon will sprint across the road, weaving to hopefully cause his enemies to miss and activate his dragonmark, using Mage Armor to improve his AC to 23 (for the next 3 hours) He'll move to the South side of E2, to force E1 to shoot through E2 to possibly hit Kenyon. He draws his weapon and prepares to fight next round.

(OOC - Not sure how you want us to report AC/HP? I have 36/39 hp's and 23 AC now.)

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Ambush on the Road

Post by Trogdor » Mon May 15, 2006 11:50 pm

Scout is taken aback for a moment. For all that it was created for war, this is actually the first time that anyone has ever raised a weapon against it. Thankfully, its inherent nature is such that it recovers quickly.

"I shall attend the closest one," Scout says simply to Kenyon. It then touches one of its crafted hands to a small patch of red cloth sewn onto its equipment belt and begins making an intricate set of motions with the other. Simultaneously a stream of sylables in a low drone comes from the warforged's mouth. At the sound, a group of jungle bats in the branches above Emerald Claws begin to flutter.

As the spell begins to take effect, Scout draws a sickle from its belt with it's right hand.
Cast Summon Swarm to summon a swarm of bats on E3. He's 35 feet away, which is just in range. Then take move action to draw sickle.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Ambush on the Road Round 2

Post by Wayloss » Tue May 16, 2006 1:57 am

Initiative: Scout 12; Kenyon 8; Emerald Claw 5
Scout calls out to Kenyon, telling him he will take care of one of the ambushers. He removes a small red piece of cloth from his belt. He begins a prayer, beseeching Eberron for aid in the combat. The spell however will take time, he continues on chanting his prayers.
Beginning Casting summon Swarm. Casting time 1 round. Swarm will appear at the start of your next action.
Kenyon activates his dragonmark, a warm sensation spreads from his arm. Suddenly a faint mystic blue light surrounds him. He draws his sword as he moves to confront the closest attacker. As he moves he can clearly make out his foes for the first time. Soldiers wearing chain armor and green cloaks, they wear distinctive helms that cover half their face. At their side are flail's and stout wooden shields with a green clawed hand emblazoned upon them.
Standard action, activate drgonmark, Mage Armor. +4 armor bonus does not stack with your chain shirt which also provides a +4 armor bonus. Your AC is still 19. I keep track of hp's you are welcome to keep track your self. Also standard is to keep mechanics within spoilers. Also the rocks represent difficult terrain, causes double to move through. The rocks around E1 are 4 foot high and provide cover. They can be jumped or moved across.
The soldier working the crossbow so effectively quickly works the mechanism and slides another bolt into the slot. He brings the weapon up and takes aim on Kenyon, ignoring the fact he is close to his own soldier. The bolt flies wide as he over compensates for the melee.
Reload and Shoot. 3+12 =15 -4 =11 Miss.
The soldier against Kenyon drops his ruined crossbow and pulls his flail and shield out. He swings the flail quickly and ineffectively missing Kenyon with the heavy head.
Attack 2 + 2 =4 Miss
The third man works his crossbow even as Scout chants he see's an opportunity. He slides his bolt into the groove and takes aim and the bolt flies true. It finds a seem in the mithril plates and drives into the Hip of scout. He nearly gets distracted by the abstract feeling of pain. But continues his prayers.
Attack 2 + 18 =20 Hit 4 Damage.
Concentration check DC 14: 10 +9 =19 Success

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Ambush on the Road Round 2

Post by Trogdor » Tue May 16, 2006 2:28 am

Oops. Misread the spell and thought it was a standard action to cast. Happily, Scout does well with concentration. :-)
As the bats begins to swarm, Scout maintains his concentration, sending a continual plea to Eberron itself that the swarm maintain its cohesion and attack Scout's opponent. Scout is aware that the bats are behaving against their normal inclination, and so it sends to them feelings of appreciation through the magic of the spell.

"This should distract one of them for a short time," it says to Kenyon as it gets near.
Maintain concentration on spell, make move to the square just SW of Kenyon.

Question: The spell description says that if no living creatures are in its area, it pursues the nearest creature as best it can. In the wierd, digital way in which game mechanics require us to move, a target could make a full move, getting farther away than a nearby person. Would the swarm follow the original target if they had the move to, or would they stand still and reassess what to do on their next action? I have this odd vision of this swarm of bats harassing someone, him ducking out from under them, the bats continuing to harass an empty space until one bad says, "hey, there's no one here!" I ask because if it's the latter, I may have to rethink this whole spell.

tigersrule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tigersrule » Tue May 16, 2006 10:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification on the mage armor, missed that one... Also, I haven't used spoilers before, so pls be patient w/ me :wink:
As Kenyon reaches his target, he says to Scout "Let's keep one of these scum alive for questioning".

He then attempts to move to the South of E2 (to have the brigand b/t him and E1) and strikes at E2's torso with a swing of his longsword, hoping to score a hit.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Wayloss » Fri May 19, 2006 3:37 am

Scout calls out to Kenyon alerting him to what is coming. Suddenly despite the daylight the forest fills with the sounds of thousands of wings jittering through the canopy. Scout can feel that he is being answered from Eberron itself. Suddenly a wall of bats descends upon the unsuspecting soldier. They engulf him and proceed to bite and attack him, he screams .
Bats Engulf. Swarm damage 4 points. I'm ruleing they do damage on the end of their turn.
Kenyon decides that he is not gonna let the crossbowman continue to take potshots at him. He feels that this brigand has been inept so far that he can risk moving across the broken ground. He is wrong the flail comes up just as Kenyon exposes himself smashing painfully into Kenyon's shoulder sending waves of pain through him.
I'm making it a move action to move through the rocky terrain there, so an AoO. AoO 3 +17 =20 Hit Damage 8.
Kenyon tries to retaliate, but is stunned by the pain in his shoulder, his sword stabs inefectivly at the Soldier. Then he realizes the heraldry of the soldier. The Emerald Claw!
Attack 9 + 3 =12 Miss, Allowed an intelligence roll to recognize the solder total 15 identified as a Emerald Claw Soldier.
The crossbowman gives up on his attack against Kenyon as he loses sight of him. He instead fires at Scout, the bolt rips through the air and slams into him. Grinding deep into his shoulder causing precious lubricating fluid to start to leak onto his mithril plates.
E1 attack scout 4 +15 =19 hit Damage 7!
The flail wielding Emerald Claw soldier swings backhand at Kenyon, but this time he is ready. Just as his sword comes back to it's guard position from his strike he snaps it high and turns aside the flail.
Attack 14 Miss
The last soldier is engulfed in the bats and swings his flail around as he screams, knocking several bats from the air but doing little to diminish the furosity of the swarm.
Attacks swarm 17 Hit Damage 4

tigersrule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tigersrule » Sat May 20, 2006 5:52 am

I'm confused (as usual :? ). I have a +8 to my attacks w/ my sword, but you only gave me a +3 to my roll of 9? Wouldn't it be a 17? I have a +3 BAB, +3 Str mod, +1 Weap Focus, +1 Mstrwk weapon.
Drawing a deep breath, Kenyon again swings his sword in a mighty blow at his foe, hoping this time to finish off his Emerald Claw foe.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 24, 2006 9:45 am

Bothered by the damage from the crossbow bolt, Scout determines to make such attacks if not impossible, at least a bit more difficult. Touching a sprig of holly on its belt with the hand holding the sickle, Scout moves its other hand in a few simple gestures. As it does so, Scout speaks a few sibilant words. As the last sound of the incantation ends, the brambles and vines around two of the attackers begin to move with an eerie life of their own.
Cast Entangle such that it covers E1 and E2, but not Scout and Kenyon. (Thanks for moving, Kenyon.)

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Ambush on the Road Round 3

Post by Wayloss » Thu May 25, 2006 6:50 am

Dundjinni ate my map so the map as above still stands.
Scout quickly realizes the crossbowman is a threat. He lets his concentration laps on the swarm of bats. They begin to feel less the call of nature pulling them out in daylight and some of the swarm at the edges starts to drift away. But those at the heart of the swarm have tasted blood and hang on. Even as blood flows from the soldier's wounds'¦
Scout himself draws a sprig of holly from his belt, the power of nature surges around him again, his mind calling out and the plants, vines and grasses answer. They weave their way around reaching and grappleing with the two Emerald claw soldier. Some of them reach for but miss Kenyon.
Soldier #1 Ref Save DC 14 vs 11 Fail, Soldier #2 DC 14 vs 10 Fail! Both Entangled. They are denied two points of Dex as well as -2 to all attacks. They may attempt to break free with a DC 20 Strength Check that takes a Full round Action.
The bats continue to swarm, still having a warm body in their midst and they attack the bleeding soldier without mercy. They bite and bat the Soldier one of them latches onto his neck and is batted away leaving a trail of crimson blood pumping from his neck.
Bleeding Damage 1pt, Damage from Swarm 5!
Kenyon retaliates from the punishing flail attacks, a sideways strike from behind his shield strikes true. It smashes into the forearm of the Soldiers shield arm, drawing blood and causing the man to snarl.
You have a +9 in my book with the sword, 4 str, +3 BAB and +1 for weapon focus and +1 for MW weapon. Anyways 9 + 18 =27 Hit, Damage 6
The Crossbowman tries to ignore the grasping plants. He works the crossbow mechanism, managing to fire. The bolt flies true again This time slamming into the mithril plate directly in the center of his chest. The Mithril though holds true and the bold bounces off leaving scout no worse for the wear.
Attack 0 +18 Miss!
The soldier entangled infront of Kenyon pulls at his feet, and manages to break loose. He grins knowing that he has broken loose.
DC 20 Str Check 2 +18 = 20 Breaks Free.
The last man in the swarm of bats Is disoriented, and bleeding, He knows he might not survive much longer in the bats. Twiriling his flail he charges through the swarm. Heading right for Scout, twirling his flail. Scout easily sidesteps the man's charge.
Fort save vs Nausea 4 + 14 vs DC 14 Success.
Charges Scout. 3 +2 +10 =15 Miss -2 AC

tigersrule
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Ambush on the Road Round 3

Post by tigersrule » Thu May 25, 2006 5:13 pm

'Good, let's finish this guy off so I can get to more important work,' thinks Kenyon to himself. Looking around, he sees that their opponents are suffereing some damage from the swarm. Focusing his attention towards Soldier 2, Kenyon slashes low and then high with his weapons, trying to find a seam in S2's armor and defense.