Building a Better Monk/Martial Artist

This forum is for character discussions. These can include Character Background and Character Build discussions.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Building a Better Monk/Martial Artist

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:33 am

So with the Isle of the Beast game startin, lots of people makeing new guys. I thought I would post a general question.

How do YOU make a better monk, or matial artist, or unarmed warrior type?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Re: Building a Better Monk/Martial Artist

Post by od » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:35 am

Please indicate CL you would like to look at.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:38 am

Curse you for being detailed! Looking at starting guys for the game at level 2, but in general some of paths you take, good sources, or moves. It seems like alot of monks turn into Flurry of Blows for about 7 levels.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:00 am

Ok, so you want to be a monk. It sucks to be you. Yes monks and paladins have it the worst of any two classes, which is why they both have the best saves. You have 4 attributes that you care about:

Strength - All you damage and you attack bonus will based on this.
Dex - AC and initiatives
Wisdom - AC and all of your "magic"
Con - Everyone needs con.

Note the lack of intelligence on that list, no you won't have many skills.

It gets worse, you have small hit dice. You can go either way, but I'd keep con as my lowest score. You have good saves, and evasion, yes more con is better when you have d8 hit dice face it though, if you get hit you will be in trouble anyway. Fort saves usually require touch attacks, your AC will probably be among the highest in the party.

You wish you had uncanny dodge, I know you do, but you don't so here is some advice.

1) Put skill points in spot and listen. Sneak attack will kill you.
2) Put points in tumble, if you get flanked, tumble move to not be flanked
3) Put points in escape artist for grapples. If you get in trouble with a grapple this is important.

Alright, lets talk bonus feats:
Improved grapple vs. stunning fist.

A stunned opponent is better than a grappled opponent, but you can only do it 1 time per day per 4 levels. If you are small you shouldn't be grappling. If your strength is low you shouldn't be grappling. All in all I prefer improved grapple, a high strength/low dex monk should always go with imp grapple. Also a large monk.

Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows
Both are must have monk feats, start with deflect arrows though. Combat reflexes shines when you have either improve trip o improved disarm.

Improved Disarm or Improved Trip, Both of these are great monk feats. I recommend taking Improved Trip here. This bonus bypasses the need for combat expertise, and your low int might mean this is the only way to get it.

Monks are all about special attacks and tumble. Always flank your opponent if possible, tumble checks make this easier for you. Do not hesitate to trip, grapple, or otherwise rather than flurrying.

Consider this flurry gives you extra attack (eventually 2). If you trip some one you get an attack and when they stand up you and up to 5 other people get AoO. Tactics make the monk.

Grappling someone if you can maintain the grapple you will do more damage to them round to round. You will remove them from combat.

Improved disarm is nice too, and a decent reason to carry a monk weapon...why? so that when your unarmed foe attacks you get that free AoO.

Other good monk feats aside from the ones you auto get are:

Dodge; Snatch arrows, (Combat expertise is great, but I assume you rint is too low), Improved Initiative (to go first to gain position and to keep you dex bonus), Great Fortitude (Fort is likely your lowest save), Iron Will (good save get gooder), Lighting Reflexes (yeah what he said).

That's my take, weapon finesse is also very good if your strength is low (unarmed attacks count as light weapons) and Blind fighting is jsut a good combat feat for everyone.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:15 am

If Vow of Poverty is allowed, then you can get a lot of free feats from that.

Also (IIRC), don't forget that you can take Weapon Finesse for your fists and max out dex and wis and not worry as much about str.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:20 am

The vow of poverty doesn't make sense in this case
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:34 am

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:37 pm

No DM should ever allow anything from book of vile darkness or exalted deeds. The two are seething piles of unbalancing crap....IMO

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:51 pm

I hve also found the Unearthed Arcana has some really cool Alternate Monk Training, effectively changing what bonus feats you get. I really like some of these.

What about multi class monks? I've seen a few cool combos. Bashir in the Zakhara game has some levels of Psion mixed in there and that seems pretty cool to me. Also Toranoshi in the Mahasarpa game has a monk level mixed into his Ninja level. I've also seen the Argent Fist prestige class for Eberron that mixes Monk and Paladin and looks pretty sweet. So what are people prefered multi classing, or prestige classes for monk types?

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:31 pm

Monk + Paladin = ungodly saves.

Monk +Rogue = pure awesomeness.

Uncanny dodge + sneak attack for the win.