d20 4th edition Character Builder beta download

This forum is for character discussions. These can include Character Background and Character Build discussions.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

d20 4th edition Character Builder beta download

Post by Shurijo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:17 am

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... terbuilder

You can download WotC's beta 4th ed character builder. It requires Windows and .NET 3.5 SP1.

I went through the application and the only thing that I don't really like is that you have to click "Next" button on each screen or you lose those values. You can level up your characters after you've finished level 1.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Re: d20 4th edition Character Builder beta download

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:09 am

I just got the chance to mess around a bit more with this and it's pretty nice. You can save your characters and then just email them to the DM. It also does automatic character validation.

The only downside is that it uses the standard char gen options found in the PH. So vWorld char gen can't be used...

It also includes all of the new 4th books: Forgotten Realms and Martial Powers, etc.

It will be pretty nice, if they keep this as a free download.

eldritchknight
Level 12
Level 12

Post by eldritchknight » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:25 am

You can input your stats directly into the fields for them, so you can avoid the standard point buy forund in the PHB.
Meesa take down quote to get in game:)

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:44 am

The only downside to the free demo is that it's only up to third level.

(which makes sense, I'm assuming they want people to pay for it at some point in time)
I like pie.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:55 am

Down with 4E!

Just kidding (kinda)
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:49 am

Nate wrote:The only downside to the free demo is that it's only up to third level.

(which makes sense, I'm assuming they want people to pay for it at some point in time)
I think this is more of a "beta" than "demo". So they probably only have the first couple levels of data there for testing. Hopefully, they'll have a full version of this out.

There's no way to encrypt .NET applications like this. I can easily open up the files and look at the source code (I'm a .NET programmer). So I don't think they'll be locking down or protecting their final application. If so, it'll just take a day for someone to remove the protection and reassemble the code into a new .exe file. They could use some obfuscation to make it harder, but I'm sure that'll just make it take an extra day or so to undo it.

Unless, of course, they add a logon screen to access the databases. I didn't check to see if the databases were local files or calls to a web service.

Galen
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Galen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:29 am

The full version is now out, but it requires a D&D Insider account to go past level 3. I broke down and signed up. If you are planning on playing 4e regularly it is worth it for the character builder and the dragon magazine articles.

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:18 pm

The only disappointing thing is it's not mac compatible...

And I can't install that on my work pc, the IT guys'll come down here and lay the smack down on me. At the current prices I may just sign up anyways for the magazines, But I wish they would have made it mac compatible.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:00 pm

What if you download a Virtual PC for your work PC, then install the char builder on the Virtual PC?

You could also try one of those Mac programs that allows you to run Windows. I can't remember the name, but my gf has one of those programs with Windows installed on her Mac laptop.

I'm a bit disappointed that it's not web based. That's how I initially thought it was going to work when they first announced it a while ago.