Pathfinder Question re:skill points w/ neg int mod

This forum is for character discussions. These can include Character Background and Character Build discussions.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Pathfinder Question re:skill points w/ neg int mod

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:27 pm

After a bit of searching, I found this post by James Jacobs (Pathfinder Editor and Creative Director)

http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz2b8s&sort=0 ... -skills#10

He says that racial and fav class bonuses are added after class skills (and minimum skill point) is used.

So 7 int with -2 INT modifier (or -3) =
2 + (-2) = 0 = 1 min +1 human +1 favclass = 3 skill points per level

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:39 pm

If JJ says so, then who are we to argue. That's good to know, are you making some really dumb fighter types?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:43 pm

I was looking at the Pathfinder Society char gen rules and thinking of some different builds, then stumbled into this scenario and got curious about it. For fighters who don't have lots of INT based skills, using INT as the dump stat makes sense so they can use the char gen points elsewhere (str/dex/con).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:57 pm

So you considering running one of the Society games?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 am

Just reading up on the who Society rules and stuff. The more I read about the world (cities, nations, factions, etc.) the more I like the setting. It has everything you can think of with the basic campaign books.

I don't think I have the time to run a game, but running a society game with existing adventures laid out would make it a bit easier to do.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:51 am

The setting is decent, I wasn't sure at first, but after playing in several of the Adventure Paths I've come to like it.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Pathfinder: Masterwork Backpack

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:21 pm

I think we should look at the Pathfinder item "Backpack, Masterwork"

As writen:
Backpack, Masterwork

Source Adventurer's Armory

This backpack has numerous pockets for storing various items that might be needed while adventuring. Hooks are included for attaching items such as canteens, pouches, other small bags, or even a rolled-up blanket. It has padded bands that strap across the chest and the waist to distribute its weight more evenly. Like a common backpack, it can hold about 2 cubic feet of materials in its main container. When wearing a masterwork backpack, treat your Strength score as +1 higher than normal when calculating your carrying capacity.

Empty Weight: 2 lb.1 Capacity: 1 cubic ft./60 lb.1

When made for Medium characters. Weighs one-quarter the normal amount when made for Small characters. Weighs twice the normal amount when made for Large characters. Containers carry one-quarter the normal amount when made for Small characters.
I'm not against this item helping your weight load, I think I even had a guy with it at one point. What bugs me is that somehow it helps your armor weight, weapon weight, and weight of items not on the backpack like say bracers and helms, and cloaks, etc.

I think we should revamp this, and make it easier on the sheets. We can look up your STR, the difference between it and the next level, and then just add a line on your Inventory like "Strength Adjustment" put in the weight section the negative of the difference and you are good to go.

Ie: You have STR 12, carry cap of 43 lbs
Backpack would make it a STR 13, carry cap 50 lbs
This is a 7 point difference, so we add an "item" with a weight of -7 to the sheet.

I tested this for a Mahasarpa guy and it adjusts his load. Of course this only takes into consideration Light Load and not M or H but there must be a way to quickly do this that makes sense to me.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Pathfinder: Masterwork Backpack

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Makes sense to me

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:44 am

That would be my character. It seems like a sensible, easy solution to me. I would guess that if the character's load just went up too high (i.e., to Medium or Heavy), you just change the Strength adjustment. Or will that lead to mathematical confusion I'm not seeing?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:08 pm

That could work as well, something we'd just have to change manually, not a big deal, but Trog mentioned something else. Why not just have the Backpack ignore the first STR amount of weight placed inside it. So if your STR was a 12, you ignore the first 12 pounds put in the backpack. Something like that could work too, its a bit more than you'd get on light but less than heavy and it would workout easy I think.