Pathfinder Rules Questions (Poison/Cure)

This forum is for character discussions. These can include Character Background and Character Build discussions.
thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Pathfinder Rules Questions (Poison/Cure)

Post by thehitcat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:44 pm

The Poison/Cure thing came up in my home game this weekend. My understanding of the rule is that getting to Cure (how ever many saves that takes) keeps you from taking additional damage due to that poison.

So if you get poisoned the poison has two key scores first the damage: it does 1 CON each round for 1d6 rounds then the cure: Make two saves to cure.

So round 1 missed save 1 CON
Round 2 made save no damage halfway to cure
Round 3 missed save 1 CON (2 total)
Round 4 missed save 1 CON (3 total)
Round 5 made save CURE no further saves required.

Actually healing the ability damage is done through rest here is the PRD Cure definition...

Cure: This tells you how the affliction is cured. Commonly, this is a number of saving throws that must be made consecutively. Even if the affliction has a limited frequency, it might be cured prematurely if enough saving throws are made. Hit point damage and ability score damage is not removed when an affliction is cured. Such damage must be healed normally. Afflictions without a cure entry can only be cured through powerful spells, such as neutralize poison and remove curse. No matter how many saving throws are made, these afflictions continue to affect the target.

He failed a DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid contracting it, so after the onset period of 1d3 days has passed, he must make another DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid taking 1d6 points of Strength damage. From this point onward, he must make a DC 15 Fortitude save each day (according to the disease's frequency) to avoid further Strength damage. If, on two consecutive days, he makes his Fortitude saves, he is cured of the disease and any damage it caused begins to heal as normal.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Pathfinder Rules Questions

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Here's the entry

Imp's entry:
Poison (Ex) Sting—injury; save Fort DC 13; frequency 1/
round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Dex; cure 1 save. The
save DC is Constitution-based, and includes a +2
racial bonus.

From my understanding, to stop getting DEX ability damage/drain, you need to make a Fort save ("save Fort DC 13"). Then to "cure" (remove all effects), you need "1 save" ("cure 1 save"). Is the cure save and the fort save the same save or a different save/roll?

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Post by ardh05 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:34 pm

I think it is. thehitcat's cure entry seems to be taken from dealing with magical diseases, but based on the entry, I'd say one made save negates any further damage... but the previous damage remains.
When sneaking up on people, leave your cell phone at home... or at least off.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:44 pm

I echo that. Damage received has to be healed the normal ways damage is healed.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 pm

"cure 1 save"

Make one save, and you not only prevent that rounds damage, but you are cured and take no more damage. All damage you have already taken remains, it doesn't go away. It has to be healed via rest, restoration spells, healing checks, etc.

Also, thehitcat, in your example it is wrong.
"This tells you how the affliction is cured. Commonly, this is a number of saving throws that must be made consecutively."

I bolded the important word. If a poison's cure is 2 saves, they have to be back to back, consecutively. So in your example you'd move on to round 6...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Good point I missed on the consecutively. Thanks. I think the important thing that everyone seems to have now is that making your Cure saves does not heal your ability damage which Rest or Magic must heal for you.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:03 pm

There's a big FAQ write up at the Pathfinder OGC (and Pathfinder blog) on poisons, but it didn't really talk about curing.

Poison @ Pathfinder OGC

Poison FAQ at Paizo.com

Poison blog entry at Paizo.com

Paizo designer speaks on Poison via comment

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:40 pm

Just follow standard rules for Ability damage. Dex damage just takes time to mend itself.

Core Rules pg 555
"Unless otherwise noted, damage to your ability scores is healed at the rate of 1 per day to each ability score that has been damaged.

Ability damage can be healed through the use of spells, such as lesser restoration."
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!