Chapter One: Laying the Foundation - Part One

The '€œGolden Age'€ of comic books ran from 1938 to 1955. It was also the era of the Great Depression, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and the atom bomb. Is it really any wonder people were looking for heroes?

Run by the GM Eanwulf
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post Break-in Recap

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:30 pm

Having received their orders from Admiral Cale the group of heroes separates itself into three pairs of teams; each dedicated to a specific task:

The first team, consisting of Fathom and Paladin, makes their way hastily towards the 'œTower' where they hope to determine just who the Nazi soldiers are as well as why they chose to break into the facility.

The next group of heroes consists of the Silver Scarab and the mysterious Granite Golem. Their ability to move about rapidly either above or below the ground clearly marks them as the best choice to patrol the base's perimeter and assess its integrity.

And finally the last group comprised of Father Time and the robotic War Machine heads off to investigate the Weapons Research Labs for any signs of sabotage.
The next three posts will be dedicated to your group's findings. Please make sure that you respond to the appropriate subject.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Polite Conversation - Fathom & Paladin

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:33 pm

The following information is for Fathom and Paladin's eyes only
Michael Casey, the chief of complex security, and a team of his officers have shuttled the commandos off to the bases' brig and detention center almost immediately after the fight, while Admiral Cale returned to his office to report and monitor incoming communications. Roughly ten minutes later, a couple of the commandos have regained consciousness and the base personnel have just begun with their preliminary interrogation. The following is what occurs next.
You make your way past a throng of personnel into the facility's security and detention wing. Since the break-in, the entire base has suddenly become a madhouse. Michael Casey, the chief of security meets you inside. 'œSo far we haven't been able to get much out of them. Go ahead and take your best shot.'

A lone, hapless German soldier sits securely restrained upon a heavy wooden chair. Both the soldier's wrists and ankles are tied together, and his arms positioned firmly behind his back. The interrogation room is dimly lit and the soldier has been strategically placed beneath a single large interrogation lamp. Beads of sweat steadily trickle down from the soldier's forehead and it isn't long before our heroes realize that the soldier is one of those that Paladin had rendered unconscious within the billowing cloud of a smoke grenade. Battered and bruised, the soldier sports a look of grim defiance upon his face.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Patrolling the Perimeter '€" Silver Scarab & Granite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:36 pm

The following information is for Silver Scarab and Granite Golem's eyes only
Once outside, the pair of heroes soon notices numerous jeeps and transport trucks scouring around the inside perimeter. Various armed guards and canine units are currently giving the perimeter a cursory examination. After flying/burrowing around for a bit, the following is what occurs next.
Outside, the perimeter looks normal. There are no obvious signs of forced entry or a breakthrough. Obviously, the intruders are professionals and any signs of their break-in are far from immediately noticeable.

While making your initial observations of the high-tech security found along the base's perimeter, you can not help but think of the strange device referred to as a '˜sonic-screwdriver' that was found among the commando's possessions.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Searching for Signs of Sabotage '€" Father Time & Wa

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:39 pm

The following information is for Father Time and War Machine's eyes only
After the commandos have been promptly carted off to the brig and detention center, Dr. Cooper and several of his assistants quickly perform some crude but effective maintenance upon the Cavalier before returning the machine to its slumber beneath the weapons testing lab. Once Father Time's have been attending to, the pair of heroes quickly begins searching for any signs of sabotage.
War Machine lends what aid he can to making sure that Father Time isn't hindered too badly by his injuries as they begin searching through Weapons Research Lab Number Two for any obvious signs of sabotage. Utilizing Dr. Faustino's ability to manipulate time, it isn't long at all before the two has finished with their search. Sadly to say, no signs of sabotage could be found.

After pausing to reflect upon the situation, the two of you resume back into the normal time-stream and begin to chat amongst yourselves. You can not help but be remembered of the look of sheer shock and awe as the commandos entered the floor of the testing ground. It was as if they were actually '˜surprised' to see your group fighting the Cavalier '€" almost as if they were expecting the room to be empty!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Searching for Signs of Sabotage '€" Father Time & W

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:43 pm

Silver Scarab comes to a stop near Granite Golem after making a quick circuit of the perimeter of the base. "No sign of entry at all," he says. "But I can think of half a dozen ways they could have come in without leaving a trail." He smiles "For that matter, I could probably manage half a dozen myself."

"Perhaps we should focus our attention on the commandos themselves, and the equipment they had." He looks back at the main building. "I've dealt a lot with radios and radar. And that device their leader had was most curious. I'd like to see what the admiral's technical people have learned about it."

Tesseract
Level 2
Level 2

Patrolling the Perimeter '€" Granite

Post by Tesseract » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 pm

Granite Golem nods at Silver Scarab's observations. "Likewise there is no signs of entry from below. I too am curious about that interesting device. Shall we return to the labs for a better explansion?" The giant turns back toward the base.

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Re: A Friendly Conversation '€" Fathom

Post by Deadman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:15 am

"[Sorry excuse for a spy here]" barks Fathom in German, playing the bad cop. "[This is why the Nazi race has zero future. Any jerk with a blond haircut is good enough for their ranks. Why are we even wasting our time with such a low ranking idiot? He doesn't know anything, just some peon the Fuhrer was all too happy to send on a suicide mission]."

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Re: A Friendly Conversation '€" Fathom

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:26 pm

Dr Faustino arrives to hear the trailing comment and responds as if it had been in English. "My gealings for the germans asside, they should be taken seriously. What we need to learn is not how they got in, those facts will sort themselves out. What we need to learn is what they were here arfter."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Polite Conversation '€" Wrapping Up

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:03 pm

The Nazi seems to be unbothered by Fathom's comments and quickly focuses his attentions solely towards the wall in front of him. It would appear that Father Time's encouraging words do little to ease Fathom's nerves and it isn't very long before the Marine finally loses his cool and begins to repeatedly strike the man firmly across his cheek.

'œWho sent you, you Nazi scum!? What were you after!? Are there any more of your stinking kind lurking elsewhere on the base!? Answer me, damn you. Answer me!'

Surprisingly, the Nazi soldier manages to hold his own and no matter what methods the heroes seem to use in order to question him, responds only with the following information.

'œSchmidt, Konrad, 776K4-6617g.'

More enraged than impressed by the soldier's stubbornness and resolve, Fathom once more raises his hand back in an attempt to hit him, only to have it gently restrained by his teammate, Paladin. The dapper young German comments, 'œThe prisoner has had enough Fathom. Please allow me the chance to interrogate him.' Realizing that the soldier now sits badly bloodied and bruised, Fathom reluctantly complies with Paladin's wishes.

The noble German ex-patriot then releases his hold and steps calmly forward and begins to speak to the Nazi soldier.

[Speak German?]
'You might as well fess up comrade. You are already in a world of trouble and your cooperation may yet free you from the hangman's noose. Please know that I am fully aware that you and your companions are members of the Blautot Order and that I will not tolerate any of your kind's actions here upon American soil. I must insist that you now cooperate and answer our questions, lest your fate be nothing short than that of one befitting your ill-begotten nature.'

The soldier's eyes widen with fearful skepticism at Paladin's mention of the Blautot Order, but soon regain their vacant glare. The soldier then spits a bloodied wad of phlegm that contains one of his very own teeth within it. He then replies solemnly.

'œSchmidt'¦Konrad'¦776K4-6617g'¦'

After a few moments, Security Chief Mike Casey comments, 'œYeah. That's all we got out of the other one, except his name is Hermann Volkmann and his number is 885K3-7381g.'

Realizing that their efforts are getting them nowhere, the team regroups back at Weapons Research Lab Two.
I will continue shortly with more information.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Meanwhile'€¦Back at the Lab

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:04 pm

Back at Weapons Research Lab Two, the group fills Admiral Cale in on their progress and inquires about the sonic-screwdriver that they found among the Nazi's possessions.
This device is said to be a multi-purpose tool, primarily used for bypassing locking mechanisms, be they mechanical or electronic. The scientists here use it for opening communication panels as well as putting together and disassembling their elaborate contraptions. Overall the device itself is roughly the size of a hand-held walkie-talkie or a hair-dryer and is fitted with a small conical (satellite looking) dished scanner array and a multi-buttoned keypad. The device also contains a port fitted for an electrical cord that is said to plug into a larger computer in order to record and print whatever vital or otherwise pertinent data the device may find.
Dr. Cooper quickly informs the group that the device appears to be identical to the ones that they use within the facility, going so far as to show you one that he himself uses here in the Weapons Research Lab. The device is so identical to the one Dr. Cooper shows you, that he finishes up the inquiry by stating that Dr. Kreisky is the only other scientist that has access to one over in Weapons Research Lab One. A place that none of the team has yet had a chance to search!
You guys take it from here and by all means e-mail me copies of your posts as I will be at work forever it seems!