Scheduled Database Maintenance on Wednesday, September 30th

News, information, and announcements are posted here.
Forum rules
Only admins and moderators can post announcements. Members can read and reply.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Scheduled Database Maintenance on Wednesday, September 30th

Post by Shurijo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Our server host's technical support will be moving our database to a new server and upgrade the database version/software.

This migration will take place this Wednesday, the 30th of September, starting at 10AM PDT (1PM EDT)

Code: Select all

Los Angeles (U.S.A. - California)  September 30, 2015 at 10:00:00 AM   PDT  UTC-7 hours 
Edmonton (Canada - Alberta)        September 30, 2015 at 11:00:00 AM   MDT  UTC-6 hours 
Chicago (U.S.A. - Illinois)        September 30, 2015 at 12:00:00 Noon CDT  UTC-5 hours 
New York (U.S.A. - New York)       September 30, 2015 at 1:00:00 PM    EDT  UTC-4 hours 
Berlin (Germany - Berlin)          September 30, 2015 at 7:00:00 PM    CEST UTC+2 hours 
Frankfurt (Germany - Hesse)        September 30, 2015 at 7:00:00 PM    CEST UTC+2 hours 
Dublin (Ireland)                   September 30, 2015 at 6:00:00 PM    IST  UTC+1 hour  
Corresponding UTC (GMT)            September 30, 2015 at 17:00:00 
Migrating the databases from their current location will take all day to complete, however we may only experience 5 to 10 minutes of downtime when our database is actually moved. During this maintenance, please do not post to the forums because those posts will be lost.

Personally, I'd recommend not posting on Wednesday and just taking the day off for those 24 hours. However, if you need to post, please be mindful that the post (if within those 5-10 minutes) might be lost. As of right now, there's no way for them to tell me which 5-10 minutes within that 24 hour period they'll be migrating our database. So there's a pretty good chance that your posts will be fine (10 minutes out of a 24 hour window is pretty slim). However, just to be on the safe side, please save any important (or long) posts to Google Docs or Notepad or wherever you save files at, just in case you're unlucky enough to post within those 5-10 minutes.

And let's be honest, I doubt it'll be 5-10 minutes, I'd expect the window to be slightly larger, but no more than 30 minute window. I'll send them an email and try to nail down at least an hour window of when it might take place, but I doubt they'll know that right now.

As for backups, we have routine backups running every 2 hours, so worse case scenario, we'll only be back a couple hours and I can upload one of our backups again.

For admins, I recommend running a manual backup before 10AM PDT. There's a button in the ACP to create a backup under Maintenance->Database->Backup. Just click "full" backup, select all tables, and click "backup" button. That'll be an extra backup just for the heck of it.

For everyone else, please try and help everyone remember the maintenance day. Post it to the shoutbox or bump this thread on Wednesday so it'll show up and everyone will read it again.