Any interest in an ASOIAF game?

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Any interest in an ASOIAF game?

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:58 pm

Sorry, I had a couple things that i needed to take care of, I have been thinking of playing a second son (not the mercenary company) that was exiled to Essos and used the tumult in Westeros as an excuse to return home.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:31 pm

Thanks Boh!

It isn't that I don't have time, but I've tried PbP a few times since I stopped my activity here and I just can't get into it. I run an actual play group and prefer those types of games now. PbP is just too slow.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:11 pm

Huh....I'm not sure if going all the way up to making PC's be actual Targaryens and Baratheons is a good idea. Being someone who have rubbed shoulders with them does sound interesting.

So to churn out some ideas:

The Sand Dragon, daughter of Maron Martell and Daenaerys Targaryen, delighting at flaunting "Northron" norms, since she's of the union of the blood of Nymeria and The Dragon...

The "other Seastar", sister of the one that played Bloodraven et al like fiddles, manipulative bitch to be sure, but probably not arrogant, just callous and getting amusement out of toying around with men. While inspired by the original, I don't like the baggage an established character brings along.

Mischievous man of the roses, younger Tyrell brother, totally overshadowed by The Longthorn in most ways that matters, so went about making his way in the world by wits, charm and guile.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:38 am

So, here's what I've gotten so far:

Role in Group

Hungry Xenomorph - TBD
ManWithDoor - Fighter/Leader
Zorbeltuss - Schemer

Background Concept

Hungry Xenomorph - Noble son returned from exile in Essos (maybe for something involving the Blackfyre Rebellion?)
ManWithDoor - Soldier who rose up the ranks during the Blackfyre Rebellion
Zorbeltuss - Martell-Targaryen princess / Great Bastard lady / Tyrell son

Crunchy Character Goodness

Hungry Xenomorph - TBD
ManWithDoor - TBD
Zorbeltuss - TBD

Looks like an interesting group shaping up. Let me know if you have any questions, or details you want to add. I'm hoping to get a fourth player involved before starting, but I want to start putting ideas to work and the more you develop your PC the more other player can fill in their own niche without having to worry about "stepping on toes."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:46 am

Updates!

Role in Group

Hungry Xenomorph - TBD
ManWithDoor - Fighter/Leader
RoryTheRomulan - Fighter
Zorbeltuss - Schemer

Background Concept

Hungry Xenomorph - Noble son returned from exile in Essos (maybe for something involving the Blackfyre Rebellion?)
ManWithDoor - Soldier who rose up the ranks during the Blackfyre Rebellion
RoryTheRomulan - Noble black sheep, potentially an uncle of another PC
Zorbeltuss - Martell-Targaryen princess / Great Bastard lady / Tyrell son

Crunchy Character Goodness

Hungry Xenomorph - TBD
ManWithDoor - TBD
RoryTheRomulan - TBD
Zorbeltuss - TBD

So, we've hit that magic number of players where I'm confident this campaign can move forward. I have some home-brew updates that may be relevant to character creation!

-PCs start with Status 3 as a freebie.

-Given that there's been an interest in Essos from some of the players (which is very on-brand for the era), I'm going to use a very generous interpretation of the Polyglot quality. If you have the feat, taking even one rank in a foreign language will count as if you had a language score of 3. Essentially, this means that for the price of bumping an attribute from 3 to 4, a PC can be fluent in three additional languages.

I encourage everyone to start communicating with each other and begin seeing what their relationships are with each other. As always I am willing to answer any feedback or questions you have.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:42 am

Bohemond wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:07 am
Right off the bat, let me get the Debbie Downer stuff out of the way:
-I'm giving a nope on the Fear of Dogs drawback. It's not going to come up in the campaign, so it's a bit of freebie.
-Nope on Dwarfism, and the Bravo character concept for the backup. It's just that in my experience playing and GMing, they been overdone, with some people literally doing self-inserts for Tyrion or Arya. It's a bit of a pet peeve with me, but I am going to discuss some alternatives.

For the character concept you fleshed out, there are some more than a few alternatives in the drawbacks that could fit seamlessly. Bastard, Childhood Disease, Crippled, Poor Health and/or Sickly could all easily work with the concept
I hoped Fear of Dogs would be more frequent, but it was an uninspired pick. I'd like to workshop a female fighter from Essos, but shelve her for now and just focus on one character.

Current draft for black sheep uncle (calling him "Philip Waters"). rules as written, plus Status 3.

Role - Fighter, with Persuasion for lite utility
Background - competed in a tournament
Goal: Martial mastery
Motive: Hatred
Virtue: Piety
Vice: Wrath

experience: middle aged
Qualities: Blood of Andals, Shield Mastery, Tourney Knight
Drawbacks: Bastard, Sickly, Flaw (clumsy)

Concept
I intended for Philip to be the head of house's half brother, or his uncle, if he's too old (he'll be in 30's). One of the elder relatives, but not the heir or the lord. He's not the kind of elder who falls into the advisory role, just someone dependable, if a bit low-minded, and seen as sort of a burden and a liability because of his health and the stigma of bastards. It's likely that Philip has a few unacknowledged baseborn brats, as well. He attends tourneys with the intention of impressing a lady. The possibility of settling down 'exists'. (for that, I'm aiming for a Targaryen. I was told to dream big. :P )

Background
From early as a man grown, Philip pursued martial challenges and virile conquests to prove he could stand with the best of them (albeit not without the base motivations). Even drinking, though he shortly abandoned this after it led to regurgitating his insides early in contests every other night. He once sought the favor of Elaena Targaryen before riding in one of his matches, and she granted her favor to his opponent, which ignited his temper. He aimed to humiliate and injure, and the rival suffered a fatal fall. Philip washed his hands through trial by combat, but was exiled to keep him out of sight for a few peaceful years and clear his head after sowing the wild oats. Careless rumors paint Elaena as the mastermind behind the fates of both suitors. However, the Blackfyre rebellion broke out and he was forced to return.

(subject to change)

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:09 am

Philip has been through 2nd draft.

I changed his goal to Wealth.
I don't really like these traits, the things that you can list here are broad and generic. I take them as tools to write a character with, not to funnel the character into categories. I used them to explain in part where he started and where he is currently at. His goal is wealth by dint of what he intends to build by channeling his passions. Everybody loves the sights and sports of a tournament, and Philip is definitely in that camp himself. At some point or another he learned metalsmithing, which he doesn't like to do, but he finds it useful. If he loses equipment in a joust, he can just make it again, so it fuels his passion. The nobles may look down on him for it though, after all, learning trades is for "the help".

I had to trade Shield Mastery out for Trade (Smithing), but it's worth it. I can get Shield Mastery later for when it counts, and you can't suddenly earn a heritage if you don't start with it. I plan to bump Cunning up to 4 at some point to make it a viable option for producing immediate cash. And even without, I can easily provide equipment for other PC Fighters at a discount. I can even make something and forget to put my signature trademark on it (oops...). Schemers might like that.

I might even bring along a small child from Essos as someone to take care of. Another bastard, perhaps adding to in-house strife, but giving Philip more incentive to make an effort to be responsible, even if a haughty member of the house can't see it that way. Thoughts?

I based him off of Cleaver (Witcher 3) and I'll be using Cleaver's Gwent portrait.
Hungry Xenomorph wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:58 pm
Sorry, I had a couple things that i needed to take care of, I have been thinking of playing a second son (not the mercenary company) that was exiled to Essos and used the tumult in Westeros as an excuse to return home.
Sorry, I missed this... I would still like to find a way to make my concept work with what I have. We could find a different excuse for Philip to be kicked, and a different location.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:28 am

I would not take Trade (Smithing) it simply eats DP without giving you anything worthwhile out of it, money is generally a non-issue for a capable knight, especially in a reasonably wealthy house.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:46 pm

Alright, some quick things-

General Info:

-I rolled/worked that starting Attributes for the House. The relevant part for character creation is that the Lord/Lady can have a starting status attribute of 5. Everyone else can bump their starting status to 4 for 10XP.

-Zorbeltuss is right, I operate on the belief that anything that is a "soft" aspect of the character concept doesn't need to be invested in unless the player intends to use it specifically achieve in-game objectives. In Rory's case, a knight who knows how to forge wouldn't require any special consideration/investment. A knight who is trying to forge a Valyrian steel blade to gain favor with the King, I'm going to require the Trade quality.

-I've received some interest from Graven to join the group, and an outside chance from Orvost. So our merry band is growing!

-I would like everyone officially on board to post their concept and proposed role by next Friday, is you're not "on the board" yet. Rory and Zorb, since you've posted the most details about your characters, and would encourage you to keep moving along with your PCs.

Rory:

-I'm loving the concept. I wouldn't get hung up on the Goal/Motivation/Virtue/Vice aspect, I consider them more useful tools to help flesh out a PC rather than a hard lock on what your character should do. I also wouldn't worry too much about being too alike to another PC. There still seems to be plenty of wiggle room for both you and Xeno (Essos is a big place and there are many reasons for people to cross the Narrow Sea).

-What would you say is Philip's view of chivalry? I know that most of the versions of the character concepts, faith and particularly the kindness shown to him by the church features into his makeup. Does he believe in the knightly code? Does the iconoclast in him eschew it? Does he strive to live up to its ideals as a way to show that anyone regardless of birth or circumstance can be a true knight?

-Blood and the Andals requires you to pick a specific attribute.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:24 pm

Yes, I'm expressing interest, no idea what I'd make or for what cause, but it'll be useful(ish) and interesting
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale