Interest in End of the World: Zombie Apocolypse

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:40 pm

It was supposed to be a nice relaxing vacation. You and a group of friends (most of you only knew each other from gaming online) decided to take a week-long trip out west to the Rockies. You had rented a cabin, loaded the SUV with enough games to keep you busy for a month. It seemed like the first Fellowship of the Dice "Con" was all set to go. Then, as you were speeding down I-70 across the plains of Kansas, suddenly smoke started billowing out from under the hood.

You see a sign, Wakeeny: Next Exit. Checking Google Maps, you see that there is a truck stop and a couple of motels on the south end of the town about a mile ahead. It looks like you are going to be staying here tonight. As bad as being stuck in some little town in the middle of nowhere is, something far worse is about to happen...

Okay, so have you ever watched the Walking Dead and said to yourself, "Why did they do that?" Wondered how you would fare in the Zombie Apocalypse? Well, here is your chance to find out.

End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse is a game where you play yourself, trying to survive the end of the world with your friends and whatever you can scrape together from what is around you. The system is simple. As the rulebook puts it:
An easy-to-learn, flexible, and narrative-focused rules set propels the action, keeping the focus on the story and the players' actions without bogging things down in unnecessary bookkeeping.
The game is designed to be played in one setting, with the option of extending into a campaign should players want to (or live long enough to). You play yourself. Your character is you, as best as you can fit yourself to the character sheet. Your gear is what you have on your person (or in this PbP game, what you would reasonably have on a vacation). Your actions should reflect what you truly feel you would do in a given situation.

There will be Zombies trying to eat you. I will try to kill you all. :D What kind of Zombies? Slow moving mindless Zombies? World War Z fast moving zombies? Semi-intelligent Zombies? Well, that is for you to find out.

So, that's the setup. Who is interested in joining?

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Message me when/if you set up the game!

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Here's a link to the Character Sheet:
Zombie Apocalypse Character Sheet

WalterPeck
Level 12
Level 12

Post by WalterPeck » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:00 pm

IIRC we tried to get one of these off the ground awhile back. I am interested.
Asad Uller - Blood for Gold, Brayden Weathers - Shattered Kingdoms, Marshal Buckler - War without End, Ragnar - Dawn of Days, Henry Mallister - Shattered Kingdoms

Italics = internal thoughts.

Put your weapon on happy and chamber a smile.

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 pm

A chance to powergame myself? I'm there!

Also, if this game lasts long enough we might have to LARP it in the rockies! ;)
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:20 pm

Sure! Do I have to play the zombie?

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:23 pm

Of course not.

I warrant by the time we've:
-All the time to gather
-Enough money to get there

A zombie apocalypse will happen for real! :D

And this system seems really simple. Basically just three stats and some descriptors?
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:50 pm

Yep. Very simple system. You have 10 points to divide between the 6 characteristics. Try to base them on a realistic appraisal of your personality. Each group (Physical, Mental, and Social) has an "Offensive" and "Defensive" characteristic. So for Mental, Logic is the offensive, your ability to act, while Willpower is defensive, or your ability to react to situations.

Then for each of the 3 categories you list one positive and negative trait. So under Mental again you might have "Programing Skills" as a positive trait and "Fear of the dark" as a negative trait. You can be as creative as you like, but it should be something based on who you are.

The game uses a dice pool composed of positive and negative D6's. It is similar to Fantasy Flight's Star Wars games, but simpler. So if you wanted to climb to the top of a building, you might build a pool with a positive die for motivation (get away from a zombie) and add another positive die for your trait of "physically fit". Of course, you might be exhausted (negative die) and have a sprained wrist (another negative die.) You eliminate matched numbers on the positive and negative dice after the roll. Your target is the stat in the characteristic you are using. If any single remaining positive die is less than or equal to the characteristic value, you succeed. every remaining negative die adds a point of strain.

Each group has 9 stain that you can accumulate before you "die" (or become mentally or socially incapacitated). You can convert strain to a trauma, which keeps you alive, but adds a temporary impairment (reflected in more negative dice.) Filling up one of the 3 bars of stress in a category reduces the strain you receive. (You gain one less strain if the first bar is full, 2 less if the first 2 bars are full, etc.) This reflects your character adapting to the horror around you.

That's about it. There are a few little tweaks here and there, but those are the basic rules.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:24 pm

I will also mention that I plan on playing this in a real town and use Google maps for locations and directions. That will also allow me to show images from Street View of what exactly you would be seeing in the game.

WalterPeck
Level 12
Level 12

Post by WalterPeck » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Fucking Kansas...
Asad Uller - Blood for Gold, Brayden Weathers - Shattered Kingdoms, Marshal Buckler - War without End, Ragnar - Dawn of Days, Henry Mallister - Shattered Kingdoms

Italics = internal thoughts.

Put your weapon on happy and chamber a smile.