The Dig

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Dig

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Unimaginable wealth buried ages ago; works of art thought long lost; new works bringing glory to House and Cog; a new tavern because, really, that one down the street just isn't what it used to be.

In The Dig: A Roleplaying Game, Dwarves band together to reshape the underworld. Players tell grand stories of subterranean adventure and craft in a light, GM-less, storytelling RPG set in the Homes, the vast and sprawling dwarven civilization featured in the novel HOMES. Games are played over five rounds. Players take turns narrating the action and drawing the Venture to its finale!

Features:
Spin tales of lighthearted adventure in the underworld
GM-less storytelling puts every player in the narrative
Simply designed action mechanic includes players of all experience levels
Character design centered on storytelling, not crunch
Randomly generated, zero-to-no prep options
Plenty of house rules to customize the game to your tastes
Set in a complete world brought to life with original art by Jacob Hunt
Written by our very own member shipwreck

I picked this up finally, and thought this might be a great game to run here. Anyone interested?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Dig

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Traditionally RPGs have a Game Master (GM) who is in charge of adjudicating the rules, setting the scene, describing much of what happens, and plotting out each session. The Dig differs in this regard because there is no GM. While one player or another, probably the most experienced with the rules or the most inspired, will certainly lead the group and help ensure that the story moves along, everyone shares the role of narrating the tale, keeping it consistent, and sorting the rules.

In a game of The Dig the players work together to tell improvised stories of humor and excitement. You are dwarves in a medieval fantasy setting. All action begins in the Homes, a vast underground civilization where dwarves are reclaiming lost mines, excavating long lost cave neighborhoods, investigating caverns forgotten an age ago, or constructing great works of art. But taking on such feats of legend requires more than a sweeping beard and grim resolve. Each project needs the connections, goods, hard work and skill available to a dwarf of the Homes if it’s to be seen through to completion. Will it be a grand success, winning its makers hoards of wealth, fame, and a reasonable retirement? Or will it be just another humdrum bit of work polluting the declining society of the dwarves and earning you nothing but an ashamed head-shaking from your
peers? It’s up to you to find out!

Once the Venture (the overarching goal) is established the game is played over five rounds. The first, the Opening Round, is a simple setting of the scene and introduction of characters. The middle three Story Rounds represent the bulk of the action, your attempts to gather the Social capital, Material resources, and Craft skills required to complete the Venture. The fifth and final round is the Finale, representing the close of story. This epilogue is your last chance to right any mistakes made along the way and to perfect your project. All actions are resolved with a simple roll mechanic using a six-sided die (d6), but the appendices provide many variable options for using your dice of choice and varying the rules to fit your style!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Dig

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:59 pm

You can pick up The Dig on DriveThruRPG

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/172 ... aying-Game

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

The Dig

Post by TetNak » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:38 pm

I'd be interested. Would be cool to play with @shipwreck
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

The Dig

Post by Olligarchy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:13 pm

I could be convinced to be a short, bearded man digging things.

It's what I do in real life too so there's that. :P
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

The Dig

Post by shipwreck » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Let's do it.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Dig

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:17 pm

With all the craziness of GenCon next week, we can give folks time to read up, get the book, and start thing after GenCon!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

The Dig

Post by TetNak » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:26 pm

I think that's a good idea, V.

I plan on reading Homes on the plane, though. Unless I'm exhausted and just pass out. That's always possible on plane rides for me.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

The Dig

Post by Shurijo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:03 pm

Yep. What's the max player limit? I'd like to join.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Dig

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm sure we haven't hit the max yet.