Horror, Horror on the Range, Where the Mi-go and Byakhee Play

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Image For a while now I have been thinking about a Lovecraft Mythos infused Wild West game. I have been looking at system options, from Deadlands to Call of Cthulhu 7th Ed Down Darker Trails to a home brew system using The One Ring RPG.

I'm curious if there is any interest in this type of game. If so, any preferences for system, etc...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Totally interested! I'm easy going on systems. Done a couple Deadlands one shots, and it seemed like a reasonable system.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 am

Intrigued, though I've never played any of these systems.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:27 pm

While I do like both the Old West and Lovecraft's Mythos, I don't know if I would go so far as to say I'm absolutely interested at the moment. Do you have an original adventure in mind or are you planning to do some pre-generated story from the book itself?
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:40 pm

It will be a home brew adventure (at least to start, I haven't read any pre-gens on the topic).

So I have run CoC 7th Ed once, in a one shot, so I sort of know the system. I don't know Deadlands at all and it has some setting stuff I'm not certain about. I'm thinking it could be fun to work out a system using TOR. It seems like there might be enough interest to at least put the work into a TOR re-make. So I may start that then.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Alternatively it might be interesting to use the Pulp Cthulhu variation of the CoC rules. Apparently Down Darker Trails contains the information needed in order to create Pulp Investigators, which is to say Investigators that aren't as vulnerable in the face of dangers both mundane and Mythos-related as your typical Investigator would normally be. Quite fitting for the setting in my opinion since the Old West was an ideal environment for breeding tough and strong-willed individuals and the like.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 pm

I'm interested in stepping into the Lovecraft setting. I have a draft for an English doctor with the 7e rulebook. I would have him be able to speak the language of whatever the local tribe is. Don't have Deadlands or Down Darker Trails.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:39 pm

As long as I can access or be explained the rules, the system is all the same to me.

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:06 am

Not familiar with either system but I am intrigued.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Alright.

I did start working on my own homebrew system using TOR as a base.

The Deadlands system isn't going to work, its tied too much to its own theme.

The CoC Down Darker Trails PDf I can share with folks. The option becomes that, its fairly easy all % rolls, or my own system, which we would flesh out as needed, and be able to make it work for our narrative. Sounds like enough interest so I'll get something more going next week