Any interest in beginner D&D 5e campaign?

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Hey all,

Just curious if there's any interest in a beginner (level 1-5) D&D 5th edition adventure set in Forgotten Realms? I've just purchased the Starter Kit (with Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure) and PHB/DMG/MM set because I have a feeling I'll be running a kids/kid-friendly campaign very soon and I need to read up on everything.

I'd love to be a player in this adventure, but I can also run as DM - since I'll be running a DM for kids in this adventure, so it'll help me get used to everything. (I've been playing RPGs as a player for years, but I've only ever DM one or two games here and never DM'd a game around a table.)

If 4 players are interested, then I'll run as DM.
  • Race Sources: Starter Set and PHB
  • Class Sources: Starter Set and PHB
  • Background Sources: Prefer Starter Set and PHB, but okay if from another book
  • Starting at level 1
I've thought of a few 'house rules', but they are mostly kid-oriented to keep them focused (if you have any kid-oriented 'house rules' for RPGs let me know).
Lost Mine of Phandelver is an adventure for four to five characters of 1st level. During the course of the adventure, the characters will advance to 5th level. The adventure is set a short distance from the city of Neverwinter in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms setting. The Sword Coast is part of the North— a vast realm of free settlements surrounded by wilderness and adventure.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:21 pm

I'm not opposed to trying, though I'll admit I might as well be a kid as far as 5e goes, so I'd need to play.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:06 pm

@JohnnyWeird sounds good, as long as you don't get upset at rolling a 1 and flip the table over or start a temper tantrum :)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 pm

Since I am a player in like 2 games or something, I'm in.

I've tried 5e a few times, so I'd be more than happy to play in one that lasts a bit.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:56 pm

Cool. I've been reading a bit about the rules and it looks pretty easy to follow. It's just the "DM" parts of it that I'm a bit fuzzy on. It feels easy as a player. I need to read over the DM info another time or two to get the basics down.

If another 2 are game (4 or 5 total), then I'll run it.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Cool. I've never played in 5th Ed before, but I'd be up for learning the system.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:17 pm

Cool. 3 down. If nobody else volunteers by Monday, then I'll run my char as an NPC (I already made him up for the kids game and I was thinking to use him in the kids game, but I think we'll be running another adventure with them now)

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 pm

Is there an SRD online somewhere? I might be interested.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:54 pm

http://5e.d20srd.org

However, I'm looking at subscribing to https://www.dndbeyond.com . If I do that, then I can share my rulebooks with everybody and you can use their online char gen that works with the sources that I share.

You can do char gen at DnDBeyond with Starter Guide for free (limited to fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard and a handful of backgrounds and handful of races). If I subscribe and share, then it's still free to players. (free for 6 char sheets)

Also, basic rules (starter book) can be downloaded at http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules (has 4 classes, basic races, basic backgrounds, etc.)

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Where is the face palm emoji?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name